Hello from the Sunshine State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from the Sunshine State

This is my first post and look forward to posting some more. I am in the middle of converting an old fridge into a smoker with a side box. My goal is for it to cost $0 by using scrap I have had for quite awhile. I ran out of wire for my welder so my cost will jump to $25.00. I made the fire box out of 18 gauge sheet metal. It might not be heavy enough but since I have 3 sheets of 5' x 8' metal thats what I am using. I have stripped all the plastic from the inside and now I am doing the dirty work of removing the foam insulation. I will get some pics posted as I make some headway on it. This may be a redneck build to some but my main objective is to build it for 0 cost or as close to zero I can get. Stay tuned

Welcome to the boards from another Floridian!!!

Comment

to the site. Great to have you hear with us. A few here have converted fridges so if you have any questions, don't be shy about asking. We love to help out where we can. I too am in the process of converting a fridge. Make sure you post pics of it as you go. Can't wait to see it.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Yeah buddy, drag up your 'fridge, let's take a look at it. Pull up a cooler, pop a brew, kick your feet up and let's talk some thin 'n blue!
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Welcome!... Great to see other folks from Washington joining... Good luck on your smoker!!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Greetings from Indiana! Sounds like an interesting build. Gotta see that when you get it done.
            DennyD

GrillPro charcoal cabinet smoker, CharGriller Pro, 22" CKG(cheap kettle grill), 16" UniFlame kettle, Firepit/smoker stickburner, Brinkman gasser w/smoker box

Comment

Kawick,
              Good to have ya. I wouldn't include the cost of the wire. Supplies and beer should be considered house costs...

Yeah, will be interesting to see how the 18 gauge responds to a load of coals for both your door and your exchange to your fridge. If you're like me, when you are finished fab'en, you're really just getting started!

Good to have another Coloradoan on board...

As you can see, humor is free around here!

Comment

Originally posted by Kawickrice View Post
                This is my first post and look forward to posting some more. I am in the middle of converting an old fridge into a smoker with a side box. My goal is for it to cost $0 by using scrap I have had for quite awhile. I ran out of wire for my welder so my cost will jump to $25.00. I made the fire box out of 18 gauge sheet metal. It might not be heavy enough but since I have 3 sheets of 5' x 8' metal thats what I am using. I have stripped all the plastic from the inside and now I am doing the dirty work of removing the foam insulation. I will get some pics posted as I make some headway on it. This may be a redneck build to some but my main objective is to build it for 0 cost or as close to zero I can get. Stay tuned

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here at Smoked-Meat...

I would say that your purchase was a necessary expenditure due to other projects that you will be building... Not added cost to the new smoker..

Looking forward to seeing your new smoker...

Once again....
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Welcome to Smoked-Meat Kaw... nice to have ya. Hmmm I'm gonna set up a pool for bets on whether that firebox does the "Macarana" or the "Twist" on fire-up... Yes, the humor is free around here... ;{)
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man...Jump on in here & get on it! Great ta have ya here...Oh...i'm up here in the Panhandle...
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Welcome ,glad ya found us .now lets see some pics
                      2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Welcome to the best smoking forum on the web. Glad to have you aboard.
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

sigpic
                          Brinkman Pitmast Deluxe (with alot of mods)
                          Great Out doors grill
                          Brinkman verticle
                          And one great UDS
                          Crooked Creek Viszlas

Comment

Hey! Another Californian! cool !
                            And don't worry about what you're smoking on, these folks can show ya how to make a shoe box work. It's a blast.
                            JT

Comment

I foresee the firebox warping and doing the Macarana too. I will use my oxy/act torches and shrink the metal on the firebox with the hopes that after the high heat shrinking the fuel heat will not be as hot and therefore no twisting or moving much. These are my hopes, who knows it just might work, keeping my fingers crossed. I agree the wire and the beer are just expenses and should not be included. LOL I plan on using two temp gauges so I will be spending some money on it anyways. I am not really a cheap SOB, this came about as a challenge by a friend to see if I can do it, then when its complete my friend will want to borrow it. I can already see it coming.

Pics soon I promise, I will start anothe rthread in the appropriate catagory

Comment

Working...
                              X