Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Smoked Leftovers

Smoked Leftovers You Have A Recipe Using Your Smoked Leftovers. Share It With Us Here.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Chick-fil-A Sandwich....
Last Post: Uncle Sauce
Posted On: 12-12-2017
Replies: 11
Views: 168
0 Prime Brisket
Last Post: Blue Dog BBQ
Replies: 23
Views: 235
0 SV Reheating my Prime Rib
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 Show Us Where You Are.
Last Post: Blinginpse
Replies: 11
Views: 7,869
0 8lb. Round Roast To Jerky
Last Post: devo
Replies: 16
Views: 159
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,462 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,973 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,641 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 06-27-2017, 09:50 PM
Fire Starter

Location: Mentor on the Lake, Ohio. Eastern Suburb of Greater Cleveland, Lake County right on Lake Erie.
jbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grilling
Default Brunswick Stew

Ok, so awhile back I visited Atlanta and was charged with finding a great BBQ place. Online I found Daddy Deez, and mannnn, was that a great find. While there, I sampled their Brunswick Stew (which I had never heard of before) and fell in love with theirs and the whole idea of the stew. It combined leftover pork, brisket, chicken whatever BBQ meat you've got leftover. Added in were potatoes, a tomato based broth which included a hefty helping of their BBQ sauce and whatever else you need added. Searches on the net have yielded an entire array of directions, many regionally biased. Since I've come to trust this crowds opinion, anyone here have a good standby Brunswick stew recipe I can try and report back on. If not, you creative bastages oughta be able to cook up some ideas.
Jim

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

I never had the stew but I'm thinking it would be the same as any other stew...

Personally I would be adding onion, celery, maybe some shrooms...Whatever you would add to a great stew/soup...
Old 06-28-2017, 05:26 AM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

There’s more B stews out there than flies on a horse ranch It’s a south east thing mainly I gather. I have never had it, but it kinda sounds like it’s something like Grandma’s “Garbage Soup”. Yep..that’s what she called it. All leftover stuff, never the same but usually a tomato based veggie broth.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:07 AM
Fire Starter

Location: Mentor on the Lake, Ohio. Eastern Suburb of Greater Cleveland, Lake County right on Lake Erie.
jbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grillingjbair Has A Brilliant Future In Smoking & Grilling

Yeah that's what I'm gathering. And who doesn't like that? I forgot to include in the Orig Post that it often included lima beans, corn kernels, and of course the cooking starts with sautéed onions, peppers and garlic, and some start with miraquois. I was hoping some of the folks here had it in their repertoire and had hit on "THE RIGHT" combination. If anyone hasn't tried it, I really was surprised what a great blend of flavor, and I mean layer upon layer of depths of flavors Daddy Deez had in their stew. I'd like to hit on that one. It's sort of like the Best Baked Beans in the Universe recipe I found on Steve Raichins Barbecue University site years ago, just a perfect recipe to compliment some good Q. Also, I'm sure everyone needs to tweak to their own liking.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbair View Post
Yeah that's what I'm gathering. And who doesn't like that? I forgot to include in the Orig Post that it often included lima beans, corn kernels, and of course the cooking starts with sautéed onions, peppers and garlic, and some start with miraquois. I was hoping some of the folks here had it in their repertoire and had hit on "THE RIGHT" combination. If anyone hasn't tried it, I really was surprised what a great blend of flavor, and I mean layer upon layer of depths of flavors Daddy Deez had in their stew. I'd like to hit on that one. It's sort of like the Best Baked Beans in the Universe recipe I found on Steve Raichins Barbecue University site years ago, just a perfect recipe to compliment some good Q. Also, I'm sure everyone needs to tweak to their own liking.
That's pretty much it. It was a staple during hunting season. Corn, lima beans, peas, okra, canned maters and a mirepoix base. Squirrel, duck, rabbit, turkey or chiggin (if the hunt not so good). Somewhere I have Pop's handwritten recipe for the base, but it was never the same twice, often added to over a couple days and nothing measured. I'll look for it. Much like a gumbo but without the roux. Good Stuff!!!

Hmmm, haven't made that in long time...... More of a winter thing.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Last edited by Mark R; 06-28-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

Wellll, I looked through the bags of hand written and typed recipes......My Mother sure had a LOT of cookie recipes! No luck on the stew. It here somewhere.

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Never had Brunswick Stew. I'd like to try it tho. Sounds goooood!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
Never had Brunswick Stew. I'd like to try it tho. Sounds goooood!
I think I have had it several times but never called it that
Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Barque Berner

A lil history, factual........

Quote:
J. B. COOK Brunswick stew traditionally used squirrel, but not the nervous fluffy rodents of city parks. The tradition was to eat the little animal that glides from tree to tree in the Appalachian forests, the flying squirrel. It is interesting that the recipes collected for America Eats of both burgoo and Brunswick stew play down the role of squirrel. The flying squirrel that lives among the vanishing hardwood trees of unlogged old-growth forests was already becoming scarce in the 1940s and is today endangered. Some twenty years ago, the genial Mr. John G. Saunders, City Sergeant of Richmond, Virginia, inaugurated for the benefit of the American Legion his “Sergeant Saunders’ Brunswick Stews,” which have since become legend in Virginia. Selling at 50 cents a quart, enough stew was sold upon this occasion to net the Legion $ 500.
Since then Sergeant Saunders has made his famous stews for all the churches of all denominations and all the worthy charities that have sought to benefit from his great generosity. cause, Sergeant Saunders furnishes all the ingredients of the stew so that the price paid by the hundreds and sometimes thousands of people who attend these community events is practically clear profit. Some idea of what a truly colossal feat of outdoor cooking is involved in the making of one of these stews may be realized from the following description. In 1930, a Richmond policeman was killed in line of duty. A committee of thirty-five citizens was formed to seek ways and means to materially demonstrate to his widow the appreciation of a grateful city. Sergeant Saunders responded to the call. A large vacant lot was selected for the site, and on the day of the event the great iron cauldrons were placed and the fires started. Six hundred gallons were to be made and so into the pots Sergeant Saunders and his assistants put 240 veal shins, 12 beef shins, 780 pounds of chicken (live weight), 48 pounds of bacon, 1,800 pounds of Irish potatoes, 18 bushels of celery, 600 pounds of onions, 24 dozen bushels of carrots, 360 pounds of cabbage, 150 gallons of canned tomatoes, 72 gallons of canned corn, 48 pounds of butter, and the whole well seasoned with salt, pepper, and thyme. For six hours the stew steams and bubbles and is constantly stirred,sending abroad its appetizing aroma that is its own advertisement for gathering the crowds that come at the appointed time to buy by the quart or gallon. It was upon this occasion that the last quart was auctioned off and bid in for $ 10 dollars by Dr. Bright, who at that time was Mayor of Richmond. More than $ 1,000 dollars was realized for the policeman’s widow. A conservative estimate indicates that at least $ 16,000 has been raised for good causes during the twenty odd years these sales of “Sergeant Saunders’ Brunswick Stews” have been memorable events in Richmond. Natives of Brunswick County no doubt would take exception to Sergeant Saunders’ recipe, decrying the cabbage, and breathing anathema upon the substitution of bacon for squirrel, but then the little furry public pets in old Capitol Square are carefully guarded. And would it seem fitting for Richmond’s beloved Sergeant to attempt to outwit the Capital Police?

Kurlansky, Mark. The Food of a Younger Land: A portrait of American food- before the national highway system, before chainrestaurants, and before frozen food, when the ... and traditional- from the lost WPA files (p. 146). Riverhead Trade. Kindle Edition.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Good read Mark, thanks for sharing!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 06-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Nice read, Mark.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:10 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
There’s more B stews out there than flies on a horse ranch It’s a south east thing mainly I gather. I have never had it, but it kinda sounds like it’s something like Grandma’s “Garbage Soup”. Yep..that’s what she called it. All leftover stuff, never the same but usually a tomato based veggie broth.
That's about right. I have a good one.... I just need to find it
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 PM
Pit Master

crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All
crusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To Allcrusty ol salt Is  A Name Known To All

Okay found it.

Brunswick Stew
INGREDIENTS
4 celery ribs
2 carrots
1 medium onion
1 whole chicken
2 quarts water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb shredded pork
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 (10 ounce) packages frozen lima beans, thawed
1 (16 ounce) packages frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 (16 ounce) packages frozen corn, thawed
1 cup mirepoix (diced Celery, Carrot and Onion sautéed in butter)
1 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
Hot sauce
DIRECTIONS
Cut celery, carrots, and onion in half; combine vegetables, chicken and next 3 ingredients in a large stockpot.
Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is very tender.
Bone and shred chicken.
Pour broth through a wire mesh strainer into a bowl, discarding vegetables(I keep mine); return broth to stockpot and add remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or desired thickness.
Serve with cornbread and crackers

Good luck
Island of Misfit Smokers Member #94

weber smokie joe
18.5" weber prefomer
22.5" weber kettle
ECB
Chargriller SnP well modified
one ugly ass drum smoker
New Braunfels Bandera in dry dock for a service life extension overhaul

and

saving for a trailer mounted 60" reverse flow for my christmas present
Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 PM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

Ahhhh..... Daddy Dz's. You feel like you need a tetanus shot just walking the door, but the food is amazing! It is the quintessential BBQ "joint".

As to Brunswick Stew, here is my recipe.

2 whole chickens - smoked & shredded
3 lb boston butt – shredded (2 1/2 pounds after smoking)
3 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 16 oz package frozen whole kernel yellow corn, thawed
2 16 oz packages frozen butterbeans, thawed
2 medium onions chopped
1 32 oz container chicken broth
1 24 oz bottle ketchup
1/2 cup white vineagar or 1/3 cup apple cider vineagar
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
2 tablespoons hot sauce
Optional – ½ cup barbeque sauce

Blend it all in a very large pot and simmer a few hours.

Note: this has a LOT of meat in it. I usually end up adding more chicken broth to balance the liquid to meat. Which means I also end up adding more vinegar also (to taste on the additional). The first time I made this I screwed up and used both white and apple cider vinegar but it came out great so I always do that now. The original recipe only called for one or the other. Oh, and if you can get them use "butterpeas" instead of butterbeans.

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Stew definitely feels like more of a fall or winter meal but after seeing this thread, I'm thinking an exception will be made next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 09:17 PM
Sausage Slinger

dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All
dward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To Alldward51 Is  A Name Known To All

Make a big batch. It freezes well. I usually put up a couple of gallon bags that I run through the food saver to vacuum pack (ok, not fully vacuumed down, but you get the idea). Those bags block freezer burn better than zip locks, and they are boiling water ready to reheat any time of the year.

That being said, I'm out..... Might just be time to make a big pot.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:59 PM
TBS Sniffer

barleypop Is  A Name Known To All
barleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To Allbarleypop Is  A Name Known To All

Sound Like I've made it a few time by accident.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:44 PM
Meat Mopper

Location: Originally from Dublin,Ireland but now transplanted in Barrie,Ontario
Ronan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NgrO3OyWQ

@3.15 it shows this dude making brunswick stew for his restaurant in Georgia.The amounts are there but would need to be scaled down for home use.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Sausage Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NgrO3OyWQ

@3.15 it shows this dude making brunswick stew for his restaurant in Georgia.The amounts are there but would need to be scaled down for home use.
Matthews Cafeteria in Tucker,GA!!!!!

We go there as a group from the office for breakfast and lunch every so often. They have awesome food (old school family run cafeteria style). If you don't get in line early, you will not get in, it's that popular.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Smoked Leftovers