Air Intakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
    I have an idear for a bolt on flapper with base. It has a curved inner surface to fit the drum, and a flat outer surface on which the flapper would ride. Gotta talk to me mechanical guys to see how much it would cost.

Anyone know the diameter of a 55 gal drum?
    There are several places that make ones similar to what you are talking about. This is just one flapper types for UDS's. Can be used for intake or exhaust.

http://www.bbqsmokersupply.com/index...products_id=59

I used to make them from different sizes of car exhaust pipes and put a teardrop flapper on them, then weld them in place or you can use black pipe with threads, drill hole, and screw them on and use a lock ring on the inside of the drum. add a bolt and flapper on the end of the pipe.

For a flat install, a slider like I linked to in my other post is the cleanest type of install.
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
      There are several places that make ones similar to what you are talking about. This is just one flapper types for UDS's. Can be used for intake or exhaust.

http://www.bbqsmokersupply.com/index...products_id=59

I used to make them from different sizes of car exhaust pipes and put a teardrop flapper on them, then weld them in place or you can use black pipe with threads, drill hole, and screw them on and use a lock ring on the inside of the drum. add a bolt and flapper on the end of the pipe.

For a flat install, a slider like I linked to in my other post is the cleanest type of install.
      Yeah, I knew there were other options oot there, but my mind got to working in "What if I did this..." mode.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Couple of threaded nipples and a ball valve work pretty good. And aren't really that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

I get it that some folks pride themselves on how cheaply they can build a UDS. But it ain't worth a shit without good air control so why skimp there?

As far as things sticking out past the drum, I'm probably as clumsy as most and have poor vision to boot but I have never tripped over the ball valve sticking out of the front of my UDS.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I went with 1" ball valves on mine

works great
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
            I went with 1" ball valves on mine

works great
            More range is nice.

I have a hard time getting mine to stay above 375° when I want to cook hot like with chicken. If I built another one I'd probably go with two 1" nipples and one 1" ball valve.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Air flow is the key for higher temps. I have three 3/4" ball valves and a 1/2" capped nipple (for a cold smoker) for intake as well as a 2" exhaust. With everything wide open I can hit 550 derees for cooking pizza. Cooks a pizza in about 4-5 minutes. For my next build I have found a drum with a 2" bung anout 6" up the side of the drum from the bottom. I will also add two 1" air intake holes. Each of these will be controlled with a chunk of flexible magnet. I lucked out with the lid also. It has two 2" threaded bungs in it for exhaust. I'm hoping with all this open I can reach 700-800 degrees for a 1-2 minute pizza cook. I can plug everything up and still do a low and slow brisket cook. It will be my fourth UDS and it will be a regular smoker, cold smoker, grill, and a pizza oven all in one.
              DDave is right, more range is nice

Comment

Working...
              X