Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Anybody play with pressure cookers?
Last Post: Slanted88
Posted On: 01-22-2018
Replies: 7
Views: 43
0 Congrats To The New England And Philadelphia Fans!
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 10
Views: 110
0 Buckburgers & Buck-a-Roni
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 13
Views: 162
0 A Feeble Attempt at Scott's Fritters....
Last Post: Richtee
Replies: 7
Views: 66
0 Sauce from liquid after SV
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 6
Views: 64
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,530 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,213 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,871 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 01-11-2018, 02:19 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
Default What beef cut for sausage?

Trying to get an idea of what cut is best suited for general sausage making.
Pork seems pretty simple, butt or shoulder.
With beef there are more choices so Iím trying to narrow it down. My initial thought would be one of the various types of chuck roast, decent fat content and not too terribly expensive.

Also when mixing beef and pork, what are yalls preferred ratio of beef to pork and what type of sausage.

I realize sausage making has its origin in using the scraps so the fat content, meat type and ratios would vary but I figure this would give me some ideas and help me plan what type to make next.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Pit Master

devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All
devo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To Alldevo Is  A Name Known To All

I don't like beef fat in my sausage so any cheap cut of beef works for me. I add back fat from a pig or just pork fat trimmings I have saved to add to the ground beef. This is for larger sausage and not beef sticks.

PBC Drum Smoker
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
Miss Piggy Smoker
Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator
Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Chuckies/briskies. Whole chuck clod roast would be about 20 or so lbs perfect as is. No one buys brisket for snags any more.. not at those prices.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

I am not sure if this a secret of mine but just about ALL my sausages I make are a 60/40 mix in meats.. I feel they have all come out great and never dry.. For me it is a good fatty chuck roast, I want a solid 70/30 if I can find them.. Then I could add a bit of pork fat or bacon to bump that fat content up..

I have not made nor found a 100% beef sausage I have liked.. Just too dense and or dry.. Pork Rules!!!

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 01-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Chuckies/briskies. Whole chuck clod roast would be about 20 or so lbs perfect as is. No one buys brisket for snags any more.. not at those prices.
Critterhunter buys those big CnC roasts, I think they are whole chuck clod's like you mentioned. He says buy the biggest one(s) you can find. CnC scales only go up to something like 28 pounds, and anything over that is "free"
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks guys. Seems like Iím on the right track. Fresh out of high school, I worked at a grocery store in the meat dept. as counter help and clean up. Got to watch and help the meat cutters occasionally, who woulda thunk that experience would be beneficial years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2018, 10:45 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

They say if you get the meat cut from a Bull, it's all ready stuffed & ready for smoking.

Bear
Old 01-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Pit Master

SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All

When I make summer sausage, I like to go 60% pork, 40% beef. You can get the ground beef cheap in those 5 lb rolls @ Restaurant Depot.

@SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Sausage