Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations

911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here!!!

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 1st attempt at SV Ribs
Last Post: strength_and_power
Posted On: 01-22-2018
Replies: 7
Views: 97
0 Sesame crusted tuna
Last Post: strength_and_power
Replies: 0
Views: 15
0 Congrats To The New England And Philadelphia Fans!
Last Post: chefrob
Replies: 20
Views: 173
6 Just a Lil Puerco Pibil...
Last Post: chefrob
Replies: 10
Views: 119
0 A Feeble Attempt at Scott's Fritters....
Last Post: Abelman
Replies: 12
Views: 113
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,530 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 43,213 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 648,871 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 12-25-2017, 10:05 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

tomthone Knows How To Maintain A Pit
Default Brisket Emergency from a new user!

Hey there...just smoked my first brisket. It is a 14 pound full packer from sams club. I trimmed it up a bit and took the huge fat veins out and left about a 1/4 inch of fat on the fat side. Gave it a simple dry rub as well. Everything I have read in various sites said minimum of about 75 minutes a pound at around 225 to 230. I put it in my madterbuilt electric smoker last night 11pm thinking it would take minimum of 15 hours and be ready for Christmas supper here in MN. Additionally temps overnight were down below zero so I thought that would slow it down. Long story short my brisket was down at 8 am....only 9 hours. I know my temp on my gauge is correct and I also proved all over for both temp and it slid in easily. 1) How is this possible? And 2) Now what!? I wrapped in towels and put in a cooler but will it really make 530 supper??

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 12-25-2017, 10:14 AM
PBR me ASAP

Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Meat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllMeat Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Not all meats cook the same. Smoking, goes by temp more so than time. Although one can get a general idea based of past performances of when it will be done, but go by temp. Wrapped in FOIL first and not just a towel. Will it makes it to 530? Maybe, maybe not, depends on the cooler. If you have room, you could take some boiling water and pour it into a large tupperware container or something like that and place it in there with it to help maintain temps.....Just a thought

On edit, where about in MN are you at? We had some cold temps last night, but I don't believe we went below zero
Old 12-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Welcome to Smoked-Meat.. Some briskets will cook faster than others, some will hit a stall for 4-5 hours. You're still in good shape, wrap in foil then towels and place in a small cooler.. Pack it tight with towels till you are ready about an hour before dinner. You may want to check the temp and reheat in oven for that hour before slicing..

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 12-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

Cooler, towels, temp check at 4:00... it will still be hot I think. Just don't open the dang cooler till 4!! Oven set to 300 in case you need to warm up and firm up bark prior to serving. You good, keep on cooking sides, you be fine.

Welcome from Ohio.

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 12-25-2017, 10:24 AM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

To Smoked-Meat and congrats on your first brisket

I think if ya follow the instructions that Todd and Ken (and Brian) gave ya you will be fine...And yes you may need a slight reheat...

Merry Christmas...

Craig
Old 12-25-2017, 10:28 AM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Merry Christmas all and thank you all for your quick responses and help in this matter!!!! You have given me some peace of mind as I was stressing majorly with this. I did wrap in foil and a couple towels and am preparing to insulate better as well. God bless all,
Tom
Old 12-25-2017, 10:38 AM
Rub Mixer

Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All
Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All

And....most importantly....don't leave it in the garage as you travel an hour and a half to your Christmas Dinner!!!! I don't have any idea who might have done that.
But it was still hot when I got home. :)

16" Original Oklahoma Joe offset
GMG Daniel Boone
Husker Red UDS V.2014
22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:56 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser View Post
And....most importantly....don't leave it in the garage as you travel an hour and a half to your Christmas Dinner!!!! I don't have any idea who might have done that.

Guaranteed way to get leftovers right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2017, 11:29 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:

All good advice here... Merry Christmas!!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 12-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

Just wanted to update anyone that cared but a) the 14 pound brisket was indeed done after 9 hours at 230 degree heat in master built electric smoker b) I wrapped in about 5 towels along with boiling hot water in Tupperware and put in cooler c) it was very warm at 530 pm and didn’t need additional heat and lastly d) it tasted very good and everyone loved it. Everyone’s input on this thread was awesome!!
Old 12-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthone View Post
Just wanted to update anyone that cared but a) the 14 pound brisket was indeed done after 9 hours at 230 degree heat in master built electric smoker b) I wrapped in about 5 towels along with boiling hot water in Tupperware and put in cooler c) it was very warm at 530 pm and didnít need additional heat and lastly d) it tasted very good and everyone loved it. Everyoneís input on this thread was awesome!!
You are VERY WELCOME...Folks here love to help out...

Craig
Old 12-25-2017, 09:09 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Oh Chit.

I dinít see this in http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...48894#poststop

Hint Hint
Old 12-26-2017, 10:35 AM
Rub Mixer

Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All
Courser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To AllCourser Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Oh Chit.

I dinít see this in http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...48894#poststop

Hint Hint
ok! You shamed me into it.

16" Original Oklahoma Joe offset
GMG Daniel Boone
Husker Red UDS V.2014
22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Here, have a Guinness...

MrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To All
MrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To AllMrZip66 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Just wanted to update anyone that cared but a) the 14 pound brisket was indeed done after 9 hours at 230 degree heat in master built electric smoker b) I wrapped in about 5 towels along with boiling hot water in Tupperware and put in cooler c) it was very warm at 530 pm and didnít need additional heat and lastly d) it tasted very good and everyone loved it. Everyoneís input on this thread was awesome!!
for that first briskie! my only advice would be to keep smoking them, discard whatever advice doesn't work for ya, and keep doing the things that do.
18.5 Weber Kettle
22.5 Weber Kettle
Maverick ET732
6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:04 PM
I like meat

Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All
Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All

Glad it worked out for ya!
Old 12-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Smoked-Meat Newbie

cedargals Is Just Starting Out

Quote:

Iíve always found great advice here. You can also hold the brisket in an oven at 170 (double wrapped in foil and no peeking). For short periods donít put the oven on, wrap in foil and then towels.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Cookin with fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargals View Post
Iíve always found great advice here. You can also hold the brisket in an oven at 170 (double wrapped in foil and no peeking). For short periods donít put the oven on, wrap in foil and then towels.

Welcome to Smoked-Meat cedargals

Slip on over to the new member section and introduce yer self

Craig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > 911 Urgent Situations