Breaking down top sirloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking down top sirloin

A few of us from work were talking about the top sirloin coulette steak. It gets some high ratings and it is more economical than the standard ribeye or strip steak. I looked in all of the stores and nobody offered them. I looked at my local Sam's Club and they all had "cap removed" for cryo packs. I got off work early yesterday and made a trip to El Paso to visit Costco. I asked for a cryo pack of their USDA prime top sirloin and the guy went back and brought out a package. They said they do not have the cap, but it did have the cap when he brought the cryo package out. I asked for the price and they sold it to me for $7.29/pound so I had then bring me another one. Woohoo I have 30# of prime top sirloin in my cart.

I brought them home and proceeded to break one of them down.

The cap is on the bottom and it is separated by a seam between the rest of the top sirloin. If you look closely you can see the grain runs perpendicular.

It is pretty easy to remove the cap if you just follow the seam.

I trimmed the cap and cut into 8 coulette steaks. I cut the main chuck of beef in half with the grain then cut 13 standard top sirloin baseball steaks by cutting across the grain.

I also had a small pile of trim that will be added to burger at a later time. Not bad to get 23 meals out of one slab of beef. That works out to just under $4.50 per meal for the entre. The top sirloin is not as glamorous as the rib steaks or tenderloin but it is a nice tender tasty cut of meat.

Damn but that looks like a whole top round...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I thought the top sirloin was similar in shape to a strip loin? That kinda looks like what Sam's calls whole sirloin tip around here.

Comment

Cutting a Top Sirloin down into that many steaks is an art. I bet the prime are nice and tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work!
          sigpic

Comment

Nicely done
            Jim

Comment

Nicely done AJ, that be some great knife skills...
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Gonna be some good eatin...

I'll be cutting up a ribeye tomorrow...That doesn't require the same knife skills that you display
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big Andy View Post
                  I thought the top sirloin was similar in shape to a strip loin? That kinda looks like what Sam's calls whole sirloin tip around here.
                  The top sirloin starts where the porterhouse/strip steaks stop in the loin section of the carcass. It is a different shape than the backstrap/strip. The sirloin tip which comes from the hind quarter (round) of the cow. The top sirloin is located in front of the hip where the round is behind the hip. The sirloin is more tender and has more marbling (slight) than the round cuts, which are pretty lean. Here is a pretty good diagram of what cuts come from what parts of the cow.

Comment

Thanks guys, I have to practice my butchering skills as my elk hunt is only 49 days away. Lots of butchering happening then (I hope).

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                      The top sirloin starts where the porterhouse/strip steaks stop in the loin section of the carcass. It is a different shape than the backstrap/strip. The sirloin tip which comes from the hind quarter (round) of the cow. The top sirloin is located in front of the hip where the round is behind the hip. The sirloin is more tender and has more marbling (slight) than the round cuts, which are pretty lean. Here is a pretty good diagram of what cuts come from what parts of the cow.
                      Thanks for the link AJ...Great info...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

thanks for the lesson
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                          Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff to know.

Comment

AJ, how were the Coulette steaks? I recently read that the Brazilians value that cut even more than Filet Mignon for tenderness and flavor
                            Mike
                            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                            POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                            Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

great use of a large cut. Hopefully you kept all that connective tissue and fat. put all that shit in a pan the next time you run a smoker. most of it will render down to a liquid. then strain out all the solids. let it chill into solid. form it into a butter stick shape in a ziplock bag. then then next time you need a lard or something you have this smoky, fatty flavor. My wife does the same with my pork drippings into dishes like baked beans and such and they are awesome. A little tiny bit of that beef fat into a stock pot of stew meat does wonders when you are browning it up.
                              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Working...
                              X