Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do the air intake and gate valves work?
    Is the fire box sealed so you can control the heat and burn time with the gate valves?
    Anyone able to draw this is a simple diagram so i can get my head around it...

Also is there a minimum size for the raceways? Can you just use the sides for instance or is it best to use the sides and back?

lots of questions sorry :)

Comment

Originally posted by jafa View Post
      How do the air intake and gate valves work?
      Is the fire box sealed so you can control the heat and burn time with the gate valves?
      Anyone able to draw this is a simple diagram so i can get my head around it...

Also is there a minimum size for the raceways? Can you just use the sides for instance or is it best to use the sides and back?

lots of questions sorry :)
      Hey Jafa,

The air intake is comprised of holes that go through both skins. The holes were spanned with a threaded pipe nipple that was welded to the inner and outer skins so that there was a water tight seal for the insulation in the firebox door. The gate valves are infinitely adjustable valves that threaded onto the pipe nipple that I just described. They work on this principle...open them up and it provides more air to the fire box which makes the fire burn hotter and this increases the temperature in the smoker. Conversely, if you shut them down, it starves the fire for air and reduces the overall temperature inside the smoker. Absolutely you use them to control the temperature and burn time of the smoker. You don't have to use gate valves, use a butterfly valve, or a slide, or ball valves. Like I said, at the time I built these I didn't have a plasma cutter to make a slide or butterfly valve, but I could drill a hole and weld around a pipe nipple. Besides, they look industrial and cool, not to mention that they work like a charm.

My answer to the question of the raceways is this. I would make sure that I had even distribution of area around the smoker, and to me this means back and sides. Both sides would be at a minimum. I would also ensure that I have many multiples of square area in the raceway from that of the air intake. You want a smooth flow of heat / smoke, not a channel for draft which would concentrate in one area.

Just my $.02, batteries not included, Your mileage may vary.
      Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM.
      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Ya'll need to notice that Cat Daddy's gig has over 29K views! That is right on ready!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
          Ya'll need to notice that Cat Daddy's gig has over 29K views! That is right on ready!
          Yeah, 1000 of those are probably mine!

Every time this post pops up, I have to go through it from top to bottom...and me thinks....'Dat BBQ E is one skilled cat, and the next smoker I build will be based on this design'.

As a result, O'l WALLE probably doesn't get the attention she deserves whilst I secretly wait for her to implode, so's I can sell her for scrap and build one of these!

ssshhhh - don't tell her! ;o)

As I've said many times, Damn cool smoker, Dana!!

Comment

Thats great thanks BBQ Eng!
            Just secured sheets of stainless for $50(NZ) each so I am a very happy bloke :p Was thinking of using steel and enamel but the stainless sheets at that price is too good to miss.
            Now to pick it up and drop it off at the shop. Might cost me a joint of smoked bacon to encourage some help to het it built, maybe a keg of beer if he is going to play hardball...
            Got great support from a small engineering firm locally, I think they like the project I bring in as they are not the usual stuff and they correct my drawings and sketches with quite a bit of mockery haha
            Gate valves are good mate and no plastic parts so can't melt. Is there any other air intakes? Or just whats provided from the valves? One of the photos I saw had another intake with what looked like a pump on it?
            Love the qualification att he end mate :)

Comment

This is just one of those threads that deserves an Oscar type trophy!

I am searching for pieces and parts.

Comment

Latches and stufff

I am going to build one of these with my father in-law. He is an extremely skilled fabricator (wish I was). I like the latches, where did you get those? Also do you think the channel for the gasket is a better design? We are not sure which to do. Also where did you get the door thermometer?

Great build! thanks

Bill

Comment

I have had some trouble with the channel for the rope gasket, not sure if it was the "glue" I used or not. I would recommend going to to a clip rope gasket...more expensive but well worth it in my opinion....the therms you can get either at tel-tru or rivercountry101....tel tru's are the high end ones and very nice.
                  Originally posted by BillyG View Post
                  I am going to build one of these with my father in-law. He is an extremely skilled fabricator (wish I was). I like the latches, where did you get those? Also do you think the channel for the gasket is a better design? We are not sure which to do. Also where did you get the door thermometer?

Great build! thanks

Bill
                  Jerod
                  GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BillyG View Post

Great build! thanks

Bill
                    Bill,

The latches are called pull down latches - just google for best price. I got mine from J.W Winco http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section15/index.html Make sure you pay attention to the specs, or you may end up with something that pulls down 1200 lbs or something??

The channel is a step above a flat tape type of gasket, but as Jerrod said, make sure you have good adhesive. If that rutland cement is old, it is hard and dry and won't hold the gasket in place. You may look at using a tadpole type of gasket and use fasteners to hold it in place. I have ordered some from McMaster Carr and put on the firebox door of my first cabinet. works really well. McMaster has a good explanation of what to get...and then just shop around for price. http://www.mcmaster.com/#tadpole-gaskets/=rnk77p

My thermos are tel-tru. If you are sticking with a dial indicator like the tel tru's, make sure the stem stick into the chamber a bit...If it stops right by the inside of the door and doesn't extend into the chamber, you can get false readings as it will draft on the temp of the metal door and not the true temp of the air in the chamber...speaking from experience on this one. Also, get as large a face as you can afford...4" is really nice, and 5" is awesome. Also stick with a tel-tru or ashcroft or some other name brand...I made the mistake of going the cheap china made POS on my Iron Maiden build simply because time got away from me and I needed one NOW...here is what happened the very first night...Brief rainstorm moved through, game over!

In contrast, here is my Tel Tru...that baby is rock solid, and has lived outdoors and suffered through blizzards, rain, hail, blistering summer heat and it hasn't skipped a beat. I also really like the range on this one...enough resolution, not to mention that it is big enough for me to see from the kitchen window.

Good luck on your build.
                    Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:47 AM.
                    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

You can pick up TelTru's at:
                      http://usbbqsupply.com/home/index.ph...arf36g4082k800
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You can pick up rich tee pretty easy at hooters on a Friday night too .....lol bud couldn't help myself. In the process of moving house right before a trip to korea and Vietnam.
                        Tel trues rock and Chinese you get what you get. I got 3 that are awsum and about the same are duds
                        sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Thanks I will look into the thermometers. Do I need that channel for the door or can I back it off and use the Clip rope gasket and a flat face and door? Just looking to not make more work for myself and father in law. Thanks

Comment

I see your answer on the gasket - Thanks - I was a step ahead of myself.

Comment

billy take a look at my most recent build I have a "clip" rope gasket that just needs 1/8 hole drilled into the inside of your skin. easily replaceable and well worth it IMO.
                              Jerod
                              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                              sigpic

Comment

Got14 - I looked for your biuld I could not find it. I will poke around for the gaskets. I have the skin for the smoker done. How big should the water/drip pan be? I will make it removable so I can clean it. My father-in-law is doing a fantastic job so far. He is going to put in the racks next. I figured 6 inches apart would be good enough. But needed to know how big to make the drip pan. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X