No announcement yet.

so i got my first stick burner... school me on firebox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little late , butt in the pork section there are some stickies at the top to help. The 3-2-1 ( 2-2-1 for baby backs ) is a good place to start .
    Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

i wound up getting some tips off amazing ribs.com

Definitely a little bit of work and was a long day behind the smoker doing seasoning it since its new and then doing a cook with those ribs. Was 9:30 at night before i had them off there. I definitely need more practice with it to maintain temps and proper smoke levels. With pure lump charcoal it might be easier but cords of hickory is just so much cheaper. I'd rather start it with lump then just add my hickory chunks after that. I just have to get the process down better. Sometimes I get a lot of smoke when I add more wood for a couple of minutes until it gets burning good and definitely notice more smoke sometimes when things are just smoldering and the wood wasn't flaming anymore. Also keeping temps consistent as outdoor temps change and when adding more wood.

But all in all it went ok for a first run. Temps are very consistent across the cook chamber with the baffle plate installed so that is good. My smoke ring penetration was pretty deep if if too deep is a bad thing idk you tell me. Or should we ask the ladies Again I have to get the process down with time and try to get the eliminate the excessive smoking at times when i'm trying to manage the firebox.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by gerard143; 07-03-2016, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Looks like winner winner rib dinner
        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
        Weber 22.5" WSM
        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
        Weber Smokey Joe
        GMG Daniel Boone
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
        The Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by gerard143 View Post
          Did you need them after what we proposed?
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Did you need them after what we proposed?
            well some cooking tips.... i was done with the cook before anyone replied

btw i have your general purpose and hot whang rubs. The stuff is the bomb!

Comment

Great tips. I have a cheap offset. I agree with everything said here:
              Start a bed with royal oak lump
              Keep the vent all they way open
              Add smaller splits if your temp is on the high end of your range, add bigger splits if you need to raise the temp.
              I was adding a split every 1/2 hour or so yesterday.

Comment

btw i have your general purpose and hot whang rubs. The stuff is the bomb!
                Thank you for trusting your meat to the Mad Hunky :{)
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                  That miter saw will make some perfect chunks. I am still waiting for mine to return from a friend who was doing some door trim 6 months ago.

I also have a chop saw with a 12 inch wood blade .
                  Depending on how thick and long your splits are, you can make these work. If they are too thick, split them down again (twice if necessary, etc...), then you can cut them to length or in chunks. If you want to burn just sticks, cut them to fit after splitting them down. If you end up with say 4" cut off each split, then use those as chunks once the pit is up to temp.

When I had to cut down 3 hickory trees at my dad's house, I asked the tree company to cut them into full rounds firewood length. They stacked them at the curb with their bobcat. I then trailered them home, rented a splitter for a day and split up 3 cords of hickory, mostly for the fireplace as I do not have a stick burner. I did split about a 1/4 cord into sticks that could be cut into nice chunks. I then cut them on the radial arm saw (no chop saw over here, old school workhorse radial arm saw from the 70's). That was about 7 years ago and I still have hickory left for both the fireplace and the smoker.

The point is, it's wood and it can be cut to fit any smoker with a firepit from a WSM (chunks) to a stick burner.
                  Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Definitely a little bit of work and was a long day behind the smoker doing seasoning it since its new and then doing a cook with those ribs. Was 9:30 at night before i had them off there. I definitely need more practice with it to maintain temps and proper smoke levels. With pure lump charcoal it might be easier but cords of hickory is just so much cheaper. I'd rather start it with lump then just add my hickory chunks after that. I just have to get the process down better. Sometimes I get a lot of smoke when I add more wood for a couple of minutes until it gets burning good and definitely notice more smoke sometimes when things are just smoldering and the wood wasn't flaming anymore. Also keeping temps consistent as outdoor temps change and when adding more wood.

But all in all it went ok for a first run. Temps are very consistent across the cook chamber with the baffle plate installed so that is good. My smoke ring penetration was pretty deep if if too deep is a bad thing idk you tell me. Or should we ask the ladies Again I have to get the process down with time and try to get the eliminate the excessive smoking at times when i'm trying to manage the firebox.
                    Looks like you are off to a great start
                    If you have cords of hickory , you may want to try making your own charcoal. Lots of info on that if you look online. Basically it is just getting your chunks burning good in a metal container and then shutting it tight so no air gets in or out. Next day you have charcoal.
                    Another way to use up that hickory would be have a fire pit or barrel and keep a fire going in there and then when you need to add heat to the firebox , just shovel the hot coals / part burnt wood in.
                    Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

Working...
                    X