Best amnps/amnpt for MES30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best amnps/amnpt for MES30.

As much as I like my MES30 I do wish it generated more smoke. And considering I want to do some cold smoking of cheese I have decided to purchase a pellet try or tube.

There seems to be a lot of debate as to weather to buy the tray or a tube. The longest smokes I do are butts but I wrap mine around 165 and so I don't need 16 hours of continuous smoke. I'm wondering what is the best to purchase. I'm leaning toward a 5x8" tray but I'm not sure how well it fits in the meantime and I've read that drips can out the smoker out. The tubes would be easier to keep out of the way but could be a pain of they need reloaded in mid smoke.

What is the best pellet smoker for the MES30?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

There's going to be different opinions but I have both and prefer the tube, he now offers an adjustable tube
    so you can adjust smoking times, 1 end slides into the other so you can adjust the length.
    I just like the pellets better
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

You can use pellets or sawdust in the tray but only pellets in the tube. The 6" tube gives about 2 hours of smoke, 4 with the 12". Tray is good for around 12 hours but you can vary that by only loading 1-2 rows.
      If I'm not mistaken, the tray was designed to fit the MES line.
      Hard to go wrong with either one and the prices are fairly close .
      I have both the tube and the maze. I started out with the tube and a gas grill and had good results, even cold smoked some cheese without a MH meltdown.
      When I got my MES40, I picked up a tray thinking I will be doing longer cooks in the MES which has been true. I haven't tried the tube in the MES yet.
      If I had to get just one, I would go with the tray simply because it gives the option to smoke longer without reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have both also but the tray works so well I haven't even tried the tube.
        Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
        My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
          The 6" tube gives about 2 hours of smoke, 4 with the 12".
          .Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Hmm I can easily get 8 hours from the 12" tube in my MES it's what I smoke bacon and jerky with.....
          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
          Weber 22.5" WSM
          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
          Weber Smokey Joe
          GMG Daniel Boone
          Pit Barrel Cooker
          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
          6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
          Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
          The Vortex

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. Anyone have a good source for pellets? I'd prefer to buy in smaller bags and have a variety of wood between apple, cherry, and hickory rather than to buy large 20 or 40 pound bags.

Comment

I have a dust and pellet smoker both, the mouse maze type. Have had them for years and bounce between both. Fun part about smoking is experimenting.

Comment

So, I have a MB gas upright 40 and have had poor luck with some tube smokers I made, mimicking the AMPS units. Had a good smoke with some Treager pellets and no luck with some fruitwood pellets on another couple tries. Built some legs to elevate and improve airflow, tried moving up a couple of grates and still some stayed pit and others went out. Mixed results from the same batch of pellets. Anyone else have similar results? Maybe there is nothing like the real deal!
                GMG Bowie pellet pooper
                Masterbuilt upright gas smoker
                Weber Elite gasser
                Various Thermoworks devices-Love them!

Comment

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
                  Hmm I can easily get 8 hours from the 12" tube in my MES it's what I smoke bacon and jerky with.....

Your 12" tube is quite the overachiever lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tlunny View Post
                    So, I have a MB gas upright 40 and have had poor luck with some tube smokers I made, mimicking the AMPS units. Had a good smoke with some Treager pellets and no luck with some fruitwood pellets on another couple tries. Built some legs to elevate and improve airflow, tried moving up a couple of grates and still some stayed pit and others went out. Mixed results from the same batch of pellets. Anyone else have similar results? Maybe there is nothing like the real deal!

Mixed results could be a result of moisture/humidity of the pellets. I read somewhere that you can microwave the pellets for up to a minute to dry them out.
                    I think I also read that cherry pellets can be difficult to start and keep going.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwaterstout View Post
                      Thanks for all the tips. Anyone have a good source for pellets? I'd prefer to buy in smaller bags and have a variety of wood between apple, cherry, and hickory rather than to buy large 20 or 40 pound bags.

Direct from A mazen. They sell the pellets in 2# bags. Free shipping I believe over a certain $ amount as well

Comment

I have all the Amazing Smokers, but I find the 5 X 8 AMNPS (Tray) works best in MES 30 & MES 40. The amount of smoke is perfect.

I get way too much smoke from the Tube for a small Smoker like an MES.

The Tube is better for smokers used at a High Altitude, and for Larger Smokers..

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I am at 4000' ASL and found the AMNPS tray to be so frustrating to keep lit in my MES 40. I ended up giving it away. I went to the tube and it works much better but not optimum. I then went to the Cold Smoking Kit and while it has some drawbacks, it works well. I have used pellets and chips and like how it works. I have done cold smokes for cheese, low temp smokes on belly bacon, and hot smokes for pulled pork and brisket with no issues. I use the dryer duct setup to reduce the creosote build up inside the smoker and it works great. Not sure if it would work for the 30 as it is quite a bit smaller in volume.

Comment

Working...
                          X