No announcement yet.

CA's Peach bbq sauce - No added sugar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA's Peach bbq sauce - No added sugar.

So the idea of peach bbq sauce has been at the front of the back of my mind for a while now.
    Bought a pot of peach slices in juice (I always buy fruit in juice, never syrup) from aldi the other week and saturday was the first decent bbq of the year: ie, with invited friends and significant preparation.

So thought I'd do the peach bbq sauce. For research purposes I hunted down and printed out 5 different peach bbq sauces. The simplest being from gwyneth paltrow - of all people - was just peaches, lemon juice, ketchup and either adobo sauce or soy sauce. The others ran to a lot more ingredients.

So I correlated the common ingredients, disgarded any added syrups, sugars etc. The peaches, in my opinion, were plenty sweet enough. And had at it.

This is an evolved sauce. Ie: I added, tasted, added and made sure I noted down everything I added.
    You tend to end up with more ingredients this way, but you get the taste you're looking for.

Okay start by pureeing your peaches. Mine were in a large plastic jar. So I poured off the juice (then drank it) and attacked the peaches - in the pot - with the stick blender. Job done :-)

So to the final recipe:

600 grams pureed peaches (21 oz)
    2oz butter
    1 medium onion - chopped, you're going to blend the sauce, so coarse chop is fine.
    1 tsp ginger paste
    8 small or 4 large cloves garlic - rough chopped
    1 tsp mad hunky GP
    5 good shakes lea & perrins worcestershire sauce
    1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
    2 tsp lemon juice
    couple pinches of cinnamon
    2 tbs sherry vinegar - any other wine based vinegar will also do
    0.5 tsp smoke powder - or few drops liquid smoke (optional) but really made a difference.
    0.5 tsp dark soy sauce
    2 tbs heinz ketchup.

Sautee the onion, garlic, MH and ginger in the butter until the onion is translucent.

Add the pureed peaches and bring to a simmer.
    then add all other ingredients, stir well and blend together with a stick blender. You won't kill all the mustard seeds - and you don't want to, no really you dont :-)
    Alternatively (though why you don't own such a cheap and useful gadget as a stick blender is a complete mystery to me ) put through a blender when it's finished cooking.

Taste and add anything you think it needs - more cinnamon etc.
    Then on a low simmer, reduce by about 1/3 until it's a fairly thick consistency.

And that's it.
    You should notice that all the added ingredients are savoury, the idea here was to produce a non-sweet, fruit based sauce. Which I Think it does. People still thought it was sweet - but most of them were drinking red wine - so I don't think that counts :-)
    I don't think it's very sweet at all.

I also made my satay sauce. But we ate twice as much peach as satay. It really is a great sauce, goes with just about everything. And is a real change from the usual sugar or vinegar based bbq sauces.

In my new sauce bowls (small balti dishes) peach top, satay bottom.

Give it a go.

Lexicon.

Balti - balti are curries cooked in stainless steel balti dishes. It's a form of indian cooking that originated in birmingham - england.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-06-2013, 07:16 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

This looks good.. I can see it on some chicken for the wife..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I tested it on ribs, bratwurst, garlic and coriander boneless chicken legs, garlic bread, bacon wrapped haloumi and even with some potato salad.
      Worked for everything in this bbq

Attached Files
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
        This looks good.. I can see it on some chicken for the wife..
        i can also see a pork loin going very good with this.

So Alex, what do you think of using fresh fruit? We get them up here and from year to year the sweetness varies. Generally when canning them we do it using a simple syrup so some sugar is added. Or would the canned peaches be better to use than the fresh because they may be a bit sweeter? Bear in mind that peaches are not native to the Minnesota climate so what we get is all brought in.

By the way, looks great. I love using fruit for sauces etc. Real big on oranges but peach has crossed me mind more than once. thanks for sharing!
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

well fresh fruit is fine. You just have to skin it and take the stone out.
          Fresh peaches are bloody expensive over here so tinned or jarred is probably always going to make more sense for me.

Although one of the recipes was from a woman who picked about 300lb of peaches from a wild orchard.

Basically there's no practical difference as far as the final sauce is concerned. But for me the jars are cheaper and less hassle than the fresh fruit.
          It all depends how cheap you can get fresh peaches for - I believe squirrel has her own peach orchard.

Fruit in light syrup - again not a problem. Just add a little more wine vinegar to counteract the added sweetness.

Mixed some of the sauce in with cous cous last night with my monkfish (felt like splashing out on expensive fish). It's just one of those sauces that I have yet to find something it disagrees with :-)

Going to pick up some more peaches later today and see about putting some into jars for samples.
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-08-2013, 06:48 AM.
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

making this today - thought I'd bump it
            :-)
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Sounds good, we get lots of fresh peaches sooo! Might have to touch the heat up a bit, Have a bunch of Smitty's......
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

yeah I know what you mean about the heat - It would be better with a tsp of cayenne in there, or more MH or some tabasco.
                But I have to cook for a palate that doesn't do heat. So I try and get away with what I can.

But I was thinking yesterday - damn this would be better with some tabasco or cayenne in it :-)
                And don't under do the butter. It gives the sauce a rich buttery taste that is essential.
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

bump - making today :-)
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

You must freak yer Brit buddies out cooking up a sauce like that...

Psst... try a couple shots of bourbon during the cook. For the sauce..NOT for you. Altho that’s fine as well, additionally.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Moving this to my to do list...
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for bumping it CA, I need to try it sometime soon.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X