Johnson Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Smoker

Hey guys, been a long time since I've been on the forum. Life and living. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Johnson Smokers. I found a used one not far from home at a good price, but know nothing about them. I've used a lot of different smokers over the years but wondering if anyone has info on problems or reviews on the 2x2x6 verticle. New they cost $2600 and I can snag this used one for $200. I'm picking it up saturday, just looking for any info you pros might have, Thanks, Jim

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/vertical-smoker/
    Big Black Johnson
    GOSM 3405BGW
    Old Cimmaron (Ol' Faithful)
    Cast Iron Grill (state park type)

Johnson Smoker

I got nothing..... but for $200 I would be on that

Good Luck! Let us know how she looks and cooks.

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishawn;642814]I got nothing..... but for $200 I would be on that

Right... can I get there from I'm house..
      sigpic

22’ kettle
      5 burner gas grill
      Anova
      Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
      F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
      _____
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        I got nothing..... but for $200 I would be on that
        That's what I was thinking too. Gonna be a pain getting it home, but I think it will be worth it. It's used so first thing I'm going to do is put it in the shop and start cleaning and repainting. It's in good shape, just a little surface rust around the door of the firebox and touch up the paint a bit, then clean the crap out of the inside and re season. It doesn't have the rods for hanging meat, but at that price I ain't gonna bitch.
        Big Black Johnson
        GOSM 3405BGW

Comment

Nods...prolly worth that in scrap ;{)
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

you can always use cheap dowel for hanging rods.
            Yeah at that price, just get it :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              you can always use cheap dowel for hanging rods.
              Yeah at that price, just get it :-)
              X2. You got a deal.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I would be all over that for $200.
                Bored Guy Blog

Comment

I knew a Johnson smoker back in college but you had to get real drunk first
                  sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                    Nods...prolly worth that in scrap ;{)
                    That's what I was thinking too!!
                    Mustang electric smoker
                    King Kooker vertical gasser
                    Charbroil silver smoker
                    Earnhardt Jr smoker
                    Brinkman smoke n' grill
                    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Seller doesn't know what he's got. Hand him 200 bucks and get out of there because you just....

SCORED!!!!!!!

Comment

A heck of a smoker for 200 bucks...

I would add some sorta rack to keep the fire off the bottom and it should be a great cooker...

And welcome back Yard Dog
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Got the beast home today and man what a journey. First off I find out the owner is in bad health and can't help load but his son of 16 years or so can. Then I find out the wooden gate I would back through is barely wide enough for my truck if I fold in the mirrors. Then I find out the smoker is located behind the house that was built on a hillside. Yep, you guessed it, a struggle from hell between the smoker and the truck.

We got it off the patio without tipping it over, but then the hard part starts. It was +/- 150 feet up a steep narrow concrete drive. Sometimes we made it 8 feet, sometimes only 3 or 4 feet before choking the wheels and taking a rest. Keep in mind we are talking about a 51 year old man with bad knees, screwed up back, and window screen holding in his guts, and a 16 year old kid that doesn't truly understand physics pushing a 500-600lb smoker up a steep incline.

An hour later the smoker is on a semi level area. I back the trailer up to it and as gently as possible we ease it over so at least 1/4 is on the trailer then I used a come along to winch it the rest of the way. It's still on the trailer and will be until I pour a slab to unload it on. I'm thinking find a good spot and build a beer garden around it, I sure as hell ain't gonna move it twice.

As stated earlier it needs some touch up on the paint and a good cleaning. That should be easy enough.

The firebox was in great shape inside. No broken fire bricks, just some ashes.

Five big racks that slide easily to cook more than I need.

Water pan has surface rust, but not a big deal. It can also be used to fill with charcoal and grill below the bottom rack.

Just to show it's the real deal.

No idea just how good of Q it can crank out and no way to tell until the first fire. No signs of warping from excessive heat and other than the surface rust it's 100% solid. Based on the construction it is impossible for a grease fire to happen in the cooking chamber. There is at least two inches insulating the fire box and square tubing is used for transfer of heat and smoke. The manufacturer says it was pre tuned and guaranteed not to exceed +/- 5 degrees from bottom rack to top rack.

Why did he sell it so cheap? It wasn't shiny and new, the wife didn't like it, it came with the new house five years ago, and the only way to get it out was brute force. No matter what, I think I got my $200 worth, and I damned sure worked for it too ;)
                          Last edited by Yard Dog; 03-18-2017, 11:42 PM.
                          Big Black Johnson
                          GOSM 3405BGW

Comment

I think you got one helluva deal. That is a beast! Looks like pretty simple cleanup and you should be in business. Great score man and can't wait to see it in action.
                            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

wow...you got a heck of a deal.
                              sigpic
                              GMG Daniel Boone
                              UDS
                              Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                              Vision Kamado grill
                              Weber Genesis Silver
                              Smokin Tex
                              MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5