Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What types or styles of high temp gasketing work best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What types or styles of high temp gasketing work best?

I am currently researching materials for building a UDS, but at the same time keeping my eyes peeled for materials to aid in repairing the fire box on my offset Charbroiler smoker/grill. I also run an outdoor wood stove for about 5 months of the year and the firebox door just ain't as airtight as it once was.

Would anyone please share their experiences and/or recommendations on what works well for gasketing or creating a flexible sealing surface such as the curved underside rim of a drum lid or hinged lid edges?

One type of product I have found so far is here...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JO00S04...oding=UTF8&me=

...and here is another.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock-Adhe...ss+boiler+tape

Thanks all!
    ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

There are no bad briskets... only poorly executed ones.

Steve the Food Man

These will work for what you want to do. Not sure why you would need it on the lid to a UDS, but....

Rutland Grapho-Glas Gasket Replacement Kit, 7 ft. x 1/2 in. Rope
    Product price $9.99
    Got it at Tractor Supply

Permatex® High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
      Rutland Grapho-Glas Gasket Replacement Kit
      That's what I used on both of mine.

Seals a bit better depending on how the Weber lid fits on the drum.
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I used RTV sealer worked great for my door and lid on my franken-smoker.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock-smok.../dp/B01LRLELK0

Comment

I bought the OnlyFire brand version of the 1/2" x 1/8" nomex gasket to use on my MES Custom SS mod recently. The adhesive on the backing is pretty dang good. I did wipe down the metal surfaces with alcohol and let dry before applying and it has held up well. I've run the unit at 350* with no problems.

Don't know how well it would work on the UDS, but the 1/8" thick nomex is very supple and I don't see why it would not conform to the shape of the surface if its not flat.
          Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

What types or styles of high temp gasketing work best?

Look for these appliance gasket. Work great and easily replaced. It's what I used on my last smoker builds.
            http://www.appliancezone.com/wb04t10...n-door-gasket/

I did not get mine from here but this is a good example of what I used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by GOT14U; 07-09-2017, 07:09 PM.
            Jerod
            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
            sigpic

Comment

Sorry didn't see this was for a UDS. Probably won't work. I'd stick with rope gasket from a true value or the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Jerod
              GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                These will work for what you want to do. Not sure why you would need it on the lid to a UDS, but....

Rutland Grapho-Glas Gasket Replacement Kit, 7 ft. x 1/2 in. Rope
                Product price $9.99
                Got it at Tractor Supply

Permatex® High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
                Well Jim, while using my weed burner to clean the paint & underlid coating of the lid of my test build I made the mistake of dwelling a bit too long in one area and caused the metal to warp.. and not insignificantly. I was able to use pressure in strategic spots to flatten it somewhat, but the curved lip of the lid will no longer seat correctly along the entire perimeter of the drum rim.

From what I was able to gauge in checking the spacing of the gaps some sort of temperature resistant material lining the underside of the lid lip should effect a better seal to prevent unwanted airflow venting from areas other than the exhaust holes.

Does anyone have experience with using just a higher temp RTV gasketing and a caulk gun to create a sealing surface that lasts on a removable component like the lid? Re-creating the neoprene gasket that was originally attached to the underside of the lid rim with high temp RTV would best serve my aim, but I have no idea if that material on it's own might eventually soften or stick to the drum during a smoke and cause a mess in doing so.

As I understand it high temp RTV is intended for sealing off existing cracks or gaps in corners or spots where static materials (floor to sidewall, plate welds that may have failed in spots, etc.) meet each other, or where a component is joined by a means other than welding when it is applied between the overlapping surfaces to gain an airtight seal.
                ==============

Drinking is like playing golf... you'd best be prepared to play every club in your bag.

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                  I bought the OnlyFire brand version of the 1/2" x 1/8" nomex gasket to use on my MES Custom SS mod recently. The adhesive on the backing is pretty dang good. I did wipe down the metal surfaces with alcohol and let dry before applying and it has held up well. I've run the unit at 350* with no problems.

Don't know how well it would work on the UDS, but the 1/8" thick nomex is very supple and I don't see why it would not conform to the shape of the surface if its not flat.
                  Is this the product you are referring to Dave?

https://www.amazon.com/Onlyfire-Gask.../dp/B06XR9N541

Also, did you apply it to any moveable or "open & shut often" surfaces or edges when you modded your unit?

Thanks
                  ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Originally posted by The Great White North View Post
                    Is this the product you are referring to Dave?

https://www.amazon.com/Onlyfire-Gask.../dp/B06XR9N541

Also, did you apply it to any moveable or "open & shut often" surfaces or edges when you modded your unit?

Thanks
                    Same product, different URL and length as I ordered 15'.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRF2Q62

I only applied it to the main body of the smoker where the door mates to the main body when closed (all the way around). No sliding surfaces. It does compress a little to seal the door well. Before the gasket, the door leaked like crazy on the hinge side. Now it's sealed tight all around.

Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Looks very sweet, Dave... nice & clean application there.

What sort of temps have you run on the higher end since you completed that mod?
                      ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

I was able to use pressure in strategic spots to flatten it somewhat, but the curved lip of the lid will no longer seat correctly along the entire perimeter of the drum rim.
                        It doesn't really need to seat all the way. As long as goes over the rim a bit it will be fine.

And thank you. I'm no longer the biggest "over thinker" on the forum.

Just build the sum bitch and cook in it a few times before you explode your head trying to figure out all the things that could go wrong and how to prevent it. You're building a UDS, not the space shuttle.
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                          ...And thank you. I'm no longer the biggest "over thinker" on the forum.

Just build the sum bitch and cook in it a few times before you explode your head ...
                          Yes, I will admit it... I do love it out here in the weeds.

I've learned to over the years as I end up out there time after time after time after... well, you get the picture I'm sure.
                          ==============

Steve the Bartender

Steve the Food Man

Comment

Yes, I will admit it... I do love it out here in the weeds.

I've learned to over the years as I end up out there time after time after time after... well, you get the picture I'm sure.

Yes, I completely understand.
                            UDS 1.0
                            Afterburner
                            Weber Performer
                            Blue Thermapen
                            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                            Auber Smoker Controller
                            -

Comment

Working...
                            X