Electric Kitchen Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Kitchen Ovens

My old oven that came with the house is now toast.

I have decided with all the cast iron pans and large pressure cooker usage, I probably shouldn't go with a flat top.

Any opinions on convection ovens? Looked at one today and it looks pretty slick without an element on the oven bottom. Easy cleaning. I think a guy told me years ago the convections dry out the meat and he didn't use it much. Then there's the thought of more crap turning results in lower reliability over time. I dunno.

Opinions?

I have a glass cooktop and a wall oven. i am not a big fan of the glass top and seems like it always looks dirty even after cleaning. My wife wanted it, I wanted gas. She won. Love the wall oven, its not convection though.

Our last house had a full Viking SS kitchen, 36" 6 burner range/gas oven, 42" built in fridge, d/w, microwave. Beautiful stuff! but in 6 years all of them had at least 1 repair, and the ice maker leaked when we were gone ruining a bunch of the hardwood flooring Not a fan of Viking needless to say
    sigpic

Comment

I have a glass top, it's fine. I almost always use cast iron. I would rather have gas if I had a choice.
      Every commercial kitchen uses a convection ovens, they cook faster. I would prefer a convection oven to the standard electric that I have.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Got a glass top last year and have to agree with Fish. It looks great when new but that's about the only time it looks great. Once you start using it the new look is gone and it's a bitch to keep clean. And forget about canning on it, you'll break the glass and they aren't cheap to replace.

If you can get a gas cooktop with electric convection oven that's the best combination.
        Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post

If you can get a gas cooktop with electric convection oven that's the best combination.
          ^^This^^ I miss my gas cooking...

We have a glasstop... no real issues other than like Scott said, they always look dirty. No probs using CI on it either... just be careful...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I have heard too many horror stories about canning on the glass top stoves so we bought electric...Would have rather had gas but no hook-up closed that door...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

X3
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Convection oven is like SV.
                SV is cooking using moving water. Convection is cooking using moving air.

Most convection ovens can have the convection fan turned off. And many gas ovens can have convection feature.

Also look into induction cook tops. You can cover induction glass cook top with paper or silicone sheet while cooking to keep it clean.

dcarch

Comment

Kitchenaid 5 burner ceramic cooktop with touch activated controls here. The glass cooktops do scratch easier then the ceramic. After a years use no problems with keeping it clean, looks like the day I installed it. Way easier to wipe a flat surface compared to cleaning around knobs and elements.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Got a glass top last year and have to agree with Fish. It looks great when new but that's about the only time it looks great. Once you start using it the new look is gone and it's a bitch to keep clean. And forget about canning on it, you'll break the glass and they aren't cheap to replace.

I've been canning on mine occasionally for years without problem. It's a Kenmore if that makes a difference.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

A large canner fully loaded can weight as much as 70 LBs. Plus a few other items on the glass, can be a problem.

dcarch

Comment

Thanks everybody.

You are right about the weight of a full canner. HEAVY.

I will probably buy this one. It has pretty good reviews and is an upgrade from what I had.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-5.4-cu-...FY_wZAodkXEKCg

Comment

Only thing I wish we would have done different is to get the double oven model instead of the single. You wouldn't think so but there's been plenty of times where having that second small oven would have come in handy.
                          Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Only thing I wish we would have done different is to get the double oven model instead of the single. You wouldn't think so but there's been plenty of times where having that second small oven would have come in handy.
                            Ain't that the truth!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

True story!!
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X