• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacto-Fermented Pickle Chips

Lacto-Fermented Pickle Chips

Last night I started a new project with my "Kraut Kit" from FarmSteady:

http://farmsteady.com/shop/kraut-kit

As we've discussed before, the kit is probably a bit over-priced; but to be honest, after looking up the individual components, I don't think it is too far out of line. A person could cobble something together for much, much less, to be sure, but I like the convenience and the inspiration that comes from following FarmSteady as they try different things.

My previous sauerkraut project turned out really well - even better after some time in the refrigerator - so I figured I would try something new. The kit, of course, can be used to ferment many, many things, so it was a natural step to take; in fact, I suspect that FarmSteady is phasing out the "Kraut Kit" in favour of an identical kit packaged as a "Fermented Vegetable Kit:"

http://farmsteady.com/shop/fermented-vegetable-kit

The instructions are simple:

http://farmsteady.com/fermented-vegetables/

So simple that even I could manage it...almost. I did end up having a couple of minor glitches...more about that, later.

The kit ferments 2 quarts of whatever you want to ferment, so I bought 5 cucumbers for the project, which ended up being really close to the right amount. Everything else that I needed, I already had at home: kosher salt, beautiful, fresh, locally-grown garlic, dried red chile peppers, bay leaves, mustard seed....I didn't have any fresh dill, but I did have dried dill weed, and dill seed, if needed.

After cleaning and laying everything out, I began. I started by roughly chopping the garlic cloves; however, after the first one, I switched to slicing them into "chips," for a better look:

Next, I sliced the cucumbers; I considered slicing them by hand with a knife, but neither my knives nor my knife skills are very good, so I decided to try a tool that my oldest son, Josef, had gotten me for Christmas:

http://a.co/1a4dJ9i

This thing is pretty handy, actually; with the "whirly-bird" blade, I had previously reduced a head of cauliflower to rice in about 15 seconds.

This was the first time that I used the slicer attachment; because I was distracted by something else happening at the moment, I neglected to use the hand guard...and paid the price with a very nasty cut to my pinky finger. Let my mistake be a lesson: ALWAYS USE THE HAND GUARD!

While I tended to my sliced finger, my youngest son, Roger, finished slicing the cucumbers for me:

Five cucumbers seemed like just enough, if anyone is keeping track.

Next, I dissolved 2 tablespoons of kosher salt into 1 quart of warm water:

Strictly following the instructions, I probably should have done this before prepping the cucumbers and garlic, but I am sure that it will be fine.

The instructions didn't specify whether the water should be chlorinated or not; we have a spring south of town, and I could have gotten some water there, but ultimately chose not to. I did have half a litre of spring water on hand, so roughly half of this water was mildly chlorinated. I'm sure it will be fine, but I hope that I don't regret that decision.

Once the salt was dissolved into the water, I started adding the sliced cucumbers to the fermenting jar:

Intermittently, I added some of my garlic, a bay leaf, a broken-up chile pepper and a teaspoon of mustard seeds now and then.

I continued this layering until I ran out of cucumber slices:

Coincidentally, this was right when I reached the top of the jar.

I then topped with a layer of cucumbers:

Next, I added a couple of bay leaves and set the glass fermentation weight into the jar on top of the cucumber slices. I then poured the brine into the jar until the fermentation weight was covered:

After that, I put on the lid, filled the air-lock with sanitizer and set it into the lid:

Did you notice something missing?

I forgot the dill. In fact, I didn't even think about it, until this morning!

I'll add some tonight, when I get home from work; we need to stop by the grocery on the way home, so I will even by some fresh dill. I'm not sure how much would be best to add, as it is a different type of dill than I normally use for my pickles; however, I'll probably be fairly conservative with it for this first attempt. I'll also be sure to add a few dill seeds, which seem to balance the dill weed a bit.

That's pretty much all there is to it!

I put the jar on the top shelf of our bedroom closet, which is currently almost a "normal" and "steady" room temperature, in spite of the winter months in north-central Montana. I'll check it in a week or so, but I suspect that it will be at least two weeks before the pickles are ready - possibly three.

I am expecting some pretty good things to result from this, but we shall see how it goes. If anyone has any feedback, questions or anything else to add, please feel free to chime in.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 03-08-2018, 01:21 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

I like it...
    I'll keep an eye out for updates...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Oh yeah, have fun watching the bubbles!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

for this!

One, I love kraut, kimche, pickles, etc.

I ordered one and looking forward to screwing something up
        Pete
        Large BGE
        Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Mmm Stinky pickles! Kinda
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I like the idea of dill pickles without the vinegar taste...
            Maybe
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Im curious to see how it turns out too. Great to see you back here again, Ron. I really enjoy your posts.
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

I'm anxious to hear about the crispness and the flavor vs. a typical dill pickle...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  I'm anxious to hear about the crispness and the flavor vs. a typical dill pickle...
                  Same here. I don't think I've ever had fermented pickles before.
                  Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Looking at the cukes, are those store bought??? If so you might not get the results you want due to the wax on the outside so they will keep longer, a very important part of this process is the bacteria on the skin of the cuke, this helps with the fermentation process, as well as the type of water used, from what I read, you can not use "city" water due to the chemicals they add... If you are not happy try again in the summer with fresh cukes and wash but dont scrub them.
                    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                    Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber Performer
                    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                      Same here. I don't think I've ever had fermented pickles before.
                      My pickle got fermented once, butt I soaked it in cider, and it was fine after that...

Seriously, this sounds really good. Waiting for the final product...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                        My pickle got fermented once, butt I soaked it in cider, and it was fine after that...
                        That's what you get for leaving it in the brine too long.

Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Never had that kind of pickle. I always wanted a pickle from Gus's in New York
                          sigpic
                          GMG Daniel Boone
                          UDS
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                          Vision Kamado grill
                          Weber Genesis Silver
                          Smokin Tex
                          MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                          Maverick ET 732
                          Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                          2 orange ThermoPops
                          A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                          A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                          Vortex

Comment

Can’t wait to see how you like them. I did the same thing a couple months ago but with spears instead of chips. Definitely different than vinegar pickles.
                            Mike
                            Life In Pit Row

Comment

They look great Ron....they probably won't be very crispy at all, but will certainly be tasty...can hardly wait to see them in a couple weeks.
                              sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Working...
                              X