Fire Roasted NuMex Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Roasted NuMex Salsa

I called this salsa NuMex because all the peppers were developed at the New Mexico State University...
    Fire Roasted because it is I love the flavor that roasting brings out of the tomatoes and peppers...

So I use the Vortex in the inverted position for this...Not quite as hot and fast as when in the volcano mode but it gives me a little more room for produce...

Blistered about 3.5# of NuMex Heritage Big Jim peppers...AKA Med-hot Hatch peppers...This is not 3.5#

While the peppers steamed a bit and cooled a lot in a covered bowl...
    I started roasting 12-14 pounds of garden tomatoes...
    I use a section of CI grate for the tomatoes because it gives a nice char to the tomatoes...This adds to the character of the salsa...
    If you don't want the flecks of char in your sauce then leave the tomatoes whole...

In this pic you can see the juices in the tomatoes is starting to boil a bit...That is a very done tomato and sometimes the skins fall off trying to get them to the bowl...Those that don't slip right off later...

As for the juice that is in the bowl when the tomatoes are chopped, I dump that in the pot and cook it down while the other produce is getting chopped...
    I think it adds a deeper tomato flavor to the finished product...

Peeled and chopped the Hatch peppers...

Chopped 1.5# of sweet onion and more than half a pound of Jalmundo...Another NuMex variety...Very hot jalapeno peppers...
    I didn't roast the onion and Japs this time because I wanted some more texture in the salsa...And that's why I don't add the peppers and onions till after the tomatoes have cooked for some time...

Everyone in the pot Smells fantastic...

While that heats up we add a couple bunches of cilantro, huge amounts of garlic and some S&P...Also dumped in a bunch of lime juice to up the acidity...No vinegar in my salsa...

A couple sample bowls for me and Mrs. FREAK...Quality control is important you know

And we ended up with 24 half pints of glory...

Although I now have only 20 jars left...I think I should have made more

Anyway thanks for stopping by on salsa day...
    Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 10-07-2017, 09:57 AM.
    Craig
    sigpic

Mmmmmmmmmmmm that looks so good Love a good salsa
    Jim

Comment

Next year... you can toss in some of them little Twilights too!

Hmm.. wanna make a trade for a half pint O that?
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Next year... you can toss in some of them little Twilights too!

Hmm.. wanna make a trade for a half pint O that?
        Yeah I was already thinking about that...Don't think I could do the roast on those lil buggers
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Darn fine looking salsa there Smoke . That looks incredible Nice write up and pics
          ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

I can confirm it is anything like last year's batch it is real, real good!!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Do you can them after filling the jars or just fill the jars and refrigerate?
              Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                Do you can them after filling the jars or just fill the jars and refrigerate?
                Should have been more clear about that shouldn't I...
                Yes I water bath them for 40 minutes to make them shelf stable...
                Also the lime juice brings the pH down as well as vinegar making it possible to water bath something so full of peppers and onions...

Putting 24 jars of salsa in the fridge would seriously cut into my beer storage
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

That is some awesome looking salsa! Definitely gonna try that.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
                  Good One Heritage Oven
                  Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    Should have been more clear about that
                    Putting 24 jars of salsa in the fridge would seriously cut into my beer storage
                    Which is exactly why I asked.
                    Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Very Nice, have some salsa
                      Pete
                      Large BGE
                      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

wish I had the equipment and space to do that. oh yeah, I might need some veggies too...

Looks really great. By the way, those Thai peppers you sent me worked really well to heat up some marinara last night.
                        sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                          wish I had the equipment and space to do that. oh yeah, I might need some veggies too...

Looks really great. By the way, those Thai peppers you sent me worked really well to heat up some marinara last night.
                          Hell yeah
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Awesome Craiger!
                            sigpic

Comment

bowl of dat...some chips...me Natty! turn the race on!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                              X