Parkay on Ribs, A blind taste test.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parkay on Ribs, A blind taste test.

I have read on here a few times that lots of comp cooks use parkay on their ribs. It also came up a few times on that Pitmasters show. So I figured I would do a little blind taste test experiment

2 slabs of trimmed spares on the UDS. Identical rub on both. Burning RO lump and pecan & apple chunks.

About 2 hours later, ready to foil

The "control" slab. Layed the ribs on a bed of honey, brown sugar and a splash of apple juice. This is the same as I have done the last few times I have made ribs

And the experimental slab, the same bed of honey, brown sugar, apple juice but also added parkay

Ribs are done. The slab on the left is the parkay slab

First off neither slab ended up quite as tender as I would have liked. Maybe just a few more minutes in the foil than it got.

Results... My wife (a rib lover) ate one rib off each slab without knowing which is which. She says that the "control" slab seems to have more flavor.

My sister in law and her husband both chose the "parkay" ribs saying the the flavor and texture were better. But in doing so they both thought they were choosing the standard ribs and were surprised when I told them the picked the parkay ribs.

I thought both were pretty good. I prefered the standard ribs. I kinda felt like the rub flavor was a little stronger on the standard ribs and it seemed like the parkay kind of washed out the rub. But I am the only one who knew which I was eating so maybe my opinion should be tossed out. I would say that definitely the ribs I made a few weeks ago were better than either slab I made today. Oh well, maybe try again next weekend.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

they sure do look good. both of them.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

I like your scientific mind. If you ever need another taste tester, just let me know. They both look pretty good to me.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Great post Adam, I have not heard of the parkay thing.. what is the purpose? and why parkay? ribs look tastey both slabs!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Oh dang Adam! I'll buy the ribs and you can "try again" next weekend over here bud!!
          Thanks for sharing!
          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

I know a good many steakhouses around here put a pat of butter on the steak right as it is finishing its time of the grill. They swear it enhances the flavor. I suppose it is the same theory here. Haven't tried it myself. Thanks for the scientific comparison.
            sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

the flavor says butter
              Brinkman square vertical smoker
              Masterbuilt KB800

Comment

Hey Adam, the ribs look excellent. I sometimes do something kind of similar when I am "Grilling" steaks, trip tip, or chicken. That is in a sauce pan, I melt a cube of butter, about 10 cloves of garlic crushed, 1 cup or so of red wine, and a packet of italian seasonings. I heat this very carefully on the stove so I do not seperate the butter. Then as the chicken or usually Tri Tip is about done, I start basting with the above. This puts a very tatsy glaze on what ever I am cooking and also in the case of cooking chicken breasts, keeps them from drying out. Again I use this in Grilling, not smoking. Just wanted to share.
                Craig

Comment

thanks everyone. I also have done what was mentioned about putting butter on a steak fresh off the grill. I think it adds a richness and maybe that is what is supposed to happen with the ribs. I guess I will keep experimenting.

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                  Great post Adam, I have not heard of the parkay thing.. what is the purpose? and why parkay? ribs look tastey both slabs!
                  I believe it is just for flavor. From what I have read a lot of comp cooks swear by it. Maybe a few of our comp cooks can add more info.
                  KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

what's parkay ?
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      what's parkay ?
                      It is margarine, which is mostly vegetable oil.

Being fairly new to the comp thing, we do use it. I think it helps put a little crust on the outside of the ribs(meat side), but we use about 2-3 times that much, and double the honey and brown sugar. The judges seem to like very sweet ribs, at least up here they do.

I wouldn't do that for normal eating though. Remember we are trying to wow the judges with just one bite. Most comp cooks don't like to eat much of their comp food, thats why they give as much of it away as possible.
                      Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Most comp cooks don't like to eat much of their comp food, thats why they give as much of it away as possible.
                        There's something very wrong there lol
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                          I think it helps put a little crust on the outside of the ribs(meat side), but we use about 2-3 times that much, and double the honey and brown sugar. The judges seem to like very sweet ribs, at least up here they do.
                          I will have to try it at least one more time then and use a lot more. Thanks for the info Capt. Dan. I plan on getting into comps soon and need all the help I can get.

I agree, it does seem kinda crazy.
                          KCBS/CBJ #56408

Comment

I agree, but its the mindset you hafta have. I am getting used to it, and I can adapt to the style change for a day or weekend. Richtee still has a little trouble wrapping himself around the concept.

I will say, he is learning quite well how to play the game, and after his certified judges class, he will be able to grasp it even more!
                            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

I did the same thing yesterday. I added apple cider though, and a little rub as well to the honey and parkay.

They turned out well, but I can't say that i would pass the blind taste test either.

But after seeing Johnny Trigg use it religiously, I'm sure I'll keep it in fridge as well from now on

Comment

Working...
                              X