Char Siu...or something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Char Siu...or something

Not much to this but I always liked the cold BBQ pork served with hot mustard in the old style chinese food restaurants.

Char Siu - (From Allrecipes) literally means fork burn/roast-'Char' being fork (both noun and verb) and siu being burn/roast-after the traditional cooking method for the dish

Hence some confusion on my part of what I was really after. And I got wrapped around the axle a bit (Yes, it happens alot )...of course searching the internet only made me more confused.

Well, I started with marinating the pork for 48 hours in the Char Siu sauce packet (hence more confusion of Chinese vs. Hawaiian - notice the packet says "Taste of Hawaii") cut into halves and onto the pellet pooper for about an hour then changed my mind (on the cold version) and used it to top a rice/vegetable plate covered with sweet chili sauce.

Would have been great to add to the disco cook. I did use the pork leftovers cold with the hot chinese mustard - it was pretty darn good. Probably would be real good with a tenderloin. But I think it was exactly what I was looking for.
    Well, hope this makes some sort of sense...Not many pic's but here it is/was.

Attached Files
    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Looks Great Unc!!

Mighty Tasty!

I made some of that one time, and it was Real Good, but I made my own Marinade.
    Now I got all those ingredients that I'll probably never use, because I don't usually do those fancy things.
    LOL---Like the Red Food coloring---Mrs Bear--->> What do you want that for??"

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Sure looks good to me!! I'd hit it!!
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Love that dipped in the Chinese mustard and sesame seeds. You done good I say, cause my mouth is watering
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Next time, try putting the leftovers and I tiny bit veggies into dumpling. Steam them until the dumpling is cooked. Oh my gosh! With multiple dipping sauces. There won't be any leftovers after that...

If I can find my old recipe I'll send it to you.
          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Looks good!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
              Looks Great Unc!!

Mighty Tasty!

I made some of that one time, and it was Real Good, but I made my own Marinade.
              Now I got all those ingredients that I'll probably never use, because I don't usually do those fancy things.
              LOL---Like the Red Food coloring---Mrs Bear--->> What do you want that for??"

Bear
              I know what your saying - Glad I used the packet for the first one! Thanks Bear

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
              Sure looks good to me!! I'd hit it!!
              Thanks Otis

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
              Love that dipped in the Chinese mustard and sesame seeds. You done good I say, cause my mouth is watering
              Pitrow - I think I could make a meal out of just that! I ran out of hot mustard on the leftovers...not sure why they come in small jars
              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                Next time, try putting the leftovers and I tiny bit veggies into dumpling. Steam them until the dumpling is cooked. Oh my gosh! With multiple dipping sauces. There won't be any leftovers after that...

If I can find my old recipe I'll send it to you.
                That would be great jwb!

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                Looks good!
                Appreciate that Fish!
                ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Looks great but I can never get past the bright red color
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post

I'd hit that plate!

On Edit: IOU... I'm cuffed...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That looks great! And I have smoked pork, but no hot mustard....creole will have to do!
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        Looks great but I can never get past the bright red color
                        i hear ya, looks a bit funky! I guess you could omit it if you made your own sauce

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                        I'd hit that plate!

On Edit: IOU... I'm cuffed...
                        thanks Hawg

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        That looks great! And I have smoked pork, but no hot mustard....creole will have to do!
                        creole would give it some flair for sure
                        ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                          Love that stuff too..Mmmm :{)
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...479#post557479

that's a link to a previous post of mine. I still cant find the damn recipe but I think you get the idea. its a really good alternative for leftover meats. Some prep time is required but I put my kids work!
                            sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

thanks jwb for the link - perfect now that looks ggooood
                              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X