Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Wild Game

Wild Game Deer, Elk, Moose, Rabbit And The Other Critters We Hunt.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Hey! Smoked-Meat, What's Cooking This Weekend?
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Posted On: 11-17-2017
Replies: 3
Views: 28
0 Sometimes I have a perk to my job
Last Post: Jailer
Replies: 9
Views: 85
0 Looking for strictly a sweet rub
Last Post: crusty ol salt
Replies: 4
Views: 91
0 Howdy!
Last Post: crusty ol salt
Replies: 18
Views: 194
0 Thanks Rich
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 11
Views: 165
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,415 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,851 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 642,490 Polls 36
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Meatasaurus

AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All
AJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To AllAJ Is  A Name Known To All
Default Mule Deer Tenderloin

This has been the best hunting season in many years. I was lucky enough to draw both a deer and elk tag this year. I filled my elk tag 3 weeks ago and yesterday, I found a little mule deer to add to the freezer. He is a little 8-pointer. This is my first deer since 2004. I have killed a whole lot of whitetails but this is my first mule deer. I got him about 200 yards from where I got my elk. Going to rename the spot as AJ's meadow. Luckily it was only about a mile recovery.

Anyhoo, I skinned and quartered him and go him on ice yesterday and finished the prep for sausage today. I steaked out the backstraps and cooked the tenderloins whole. The rest is going to breakfast sausage and snack stix.

Back to the dinner part, I gave the tenderloins a coating of Tatonka Dust and in a vacuum bag to sous vide at 130 for a couple hours. I added a few TBSP of butter along with some garlic and rosemary into the deBuyer pan and once it was very hot I added the TL and basted it with the flavored butter.

I cooked some rosti potatoes and had them as the side. Wow, this thing was awesome!

Last edited by AJ; 11-15-2017 at 07:33 AM.

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Very Nice! Congrats
Old 11-14-2017, 09:55 PM
Pit Master

erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All
erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All

Congrats on the great hunting season you are having. You are having the season I had last year. So far this year I have had the let them go on opening day on both elk and deer. Should have let lead fly both times and at least I would have a full freezer.

That is some great looking tenderloin you have there, looks like cooked just like how I would like it. Been a cupla years since we had a mule deer tag although I did see a few this year out west. Great job on the fall harvest and the great picture of the camp meat (that's what we call the tenderloins as they don't make it home too often).
Dutch Ovens and other CI
Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Old 11-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Awesome!!!---
Nice Plate, AJ!!

I'm glad to see you did this, because I told my Son if he gets me some Backstraps, I want to try to SV them. I usually make Dried Beef out of them. I'm betting they're awesome!!

Bear
Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Pit Masters Assistant

Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To AllUncle Sauce Is  A Name Known To All

That looks awesome AJ Glad your having a great hunting year!

Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Fire Starter

Biteme7951 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterBiteme7951 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit MasterBiteme7951 Is On His Way To Becoming A Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post
Awesome!!!---
Nice Plate, AJ!!

I'm glad to see you did this, because I told my Son if he gets me some Backstraps, I want to try to SV them. I usually make Dried Beef out of them. I'm betting they're awesome!!

Bear
They are awesome John! Had some last week that I SV'd for a couple hours at 132 then a quick sear. Cut them with a butter knife.

Barry.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:24 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
I usually make Dried Beef out of them. I'm betting they're awesome!!
What?!? OK OK.. itís your meat but Dang!

I HAD to make jerky outta an elk TL once. Customerís request. I almost cried! I could see my fingerprints on the meat as I sliced it. Yes..it was awesome jerky..but...daaaang. Be a MUCH better steak!
Old 11-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

Looks great!! Guess you are one of the lucky few who still has the T. dust

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 11-15-2017, 03:13 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
What?!? OK OK.. itís your meat but Dang!

I HAD to make jerky outta an elk TL once. Customerís request. I almost cried! I could see my fingerprints on the meat as I sliced it. Yes..it was awesome jerky..but...daaaang. Be a MUCH better steak!

You have to consider the source:
I look at Dried Beef as Pure Gold, and Venison Dried Beef is even better than Beef. Jerky Sucks compared to my nice moist Dried Beef.
So Dried Beef is my go-to for Backstrap & Hind Quarters, because they are lean.
As for the rest of the Deer, after assisting in the consuming of over 100 Tallow Laden PA Deer, anything other than Dried Beef & my Deerburger Mix is not for me. I never enjoyed sitting & scraping the Wax off the roof of my mouth.
Beef wins out on all the other cuts.

However a nice Lean Backstrap done with SV has got to be Awesome.

Bear
Old 11-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biteme7951 View Post
They are awesome John! Had some last week that I SV'd for a couple hours at 132 then a quick sear. Cut them with a butter knife.

Barry.

Thanks Barry---That's exactly my plan, right down to the Degree!!

Bear
Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
You have to consider the source:
Duly noted, sir. No offense intended.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:42 PM
<--- my mobile office

Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All
Ryan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To AllRyan Is  A Name Known To All

Best cut of meat out there IMO. We used to toss them. When they've been hanging for a bit they get a hard crust on them. By the time you cut that off there was nothing left. Now I cut them off when gutting or within a day.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Mistfit ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All
Texas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To AllTexas-Hunter Is  A Name Known To All

Outstanding job AJ... The plate looks great..!!

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Old 11-15-2017, 11:29 PM
Pit Master

erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All
erain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To Allerain Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Best cut of meat out there IMO. We used to toss them. When they've been hanging for a bit they get a hard crust on them. By the time you cut that off there was nothing left. Now I cut them off when gutting or within a day.
yes, no since in letting them hang and dry out. made the same mistake in the early years.
Dutch Ovens and other CI
Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

Old 11-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Pit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richtee View Post
Duly noted, sir. No offense intended.

None taken.
Just thought I should explain, because in this case I may be the Odd-Ball.
Hence my use of "Consider the source".

Thanks Rich,
Bear

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Wild Game