Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrappin'.......

in the interest of contributing........

Folks do 'em all different ways & sometimes I see complaints about them coming unglued, so here's my personal format for wrappin' 'em up...........hope this helps in the ongoing quest for the more tightly wrapped 'Turd........ :D

First, in reguard to the planning stages, I'll refer to either of these two formulas:

I've found that the above offer enough flexibility to accomodate personal preference..............

Ok.....

1) Top & spilt, i usually do 3~4 at atime to move things along.....

2) Choose & prepare filling..... ( tandoori spiced cream cheese in this case )

3) Load pepper shell & wrap around end to contain filling (also known as the "End-Around Wrap")

4) Twist & flop, begin to stretch bacon here............

5) Continue around, stretching gently but firmly..................

6) Complete & tag with toothpick ( some folks skewer at this point, some just pull the bacon snug & go......I like a Sure-Grip 'Turd, so toothpick it is......)

7) Fire Up.....

8) Load coals..............

9) Load 'Turds..........................

*** i've taken to cooking for a short time before adding wood, at a bit higher heat to seal things up somewhat......

10) Add wood, aiming for a clean, thin blue burn........

11) 1-1/2 to 2 hours, even a bit more sometimes at a fairly low heat ( 215 ~ 235 )

12) Not the very best batch I've done, but here's the footprint of the consumed 'Turds ~~~>

Hope this aids in the production of higher quality 'Turds for all........ ;D
    Last edited by 1buckie; 03-16-2014, 10:08 PM.

Ahhhh verrrrry interestink! (Artie Johnson)

I had worked on the longitudinal wrap a while back..but the hybrid looks superior. (bow)

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...17481#poststop
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nice work, I'd eat most of them.
      Anyone know who or where the ABT name came from originally? We call them poppers around here.
      sigpic

Comment

Those look great! I like the technique for wrapping the bacon. Turds ahoy!
        Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
        Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
        A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
        A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
        Frogmats
        Maverick ET 732
        Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Nice tutorial. Be interested in hearing (or seeing) some of the other concoctions you use to stuff. I like to use different cheeses, sausage, taco flavored beef, etc..
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thanks, Rich & Dan & DS & Smokin' !!!

Those ones you did work Rich, might have to set them on a slight bit more carefully, but once they're cookin' LOOK OUT.....NICE !!

Dan, I've heard all different stories....northern Mexico in the late 50's seems the most plausible............

"Turds ahoy!"........Indeed, DS!!!!!!

Smokin'.....

Here's a small excerpt from a much larger cookup that was a personal favorite:

A local grocery chain made an import deal with a farm on the faraway continent of New Mexico
            & got a limited engagement batch of Hatch chiles...
            So i figger why not load em up with good stuff & smoke em
            Sausage & string cheese for some...

Sausage & cream cheese for others.....

Done up on the MacGyver Upper Deck Smoking Rack ( with flip-up feature)

I love the flavor of Hatch's, just that the skin is a little hard to get right without being too paperey......

Pinned with toothpicks every inch, so as to cut them into automatic appetizers when done....

Comment

Originally posted by DanMcG View Post
              Nice work, I'd eat most of them.
              Anyone know who or where the ABT name came from originally? We call them poppers around here.
              Nice turds brutha! Serious nice turds!

I first saw ABTs (Atomic Buffalo Turds) on the "other" site. They are a classic appetizer and you must let your imagination run wild while making them. Seriously, there is no right way or wrong way... just do what's in your head... that could be dangerous...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Real Nice Job, Buckie!!!

Nice Tutorial too--------------

Thanks for sharing,
                Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks HawgHeaven !!!
                  I do them quite a bit.....able to keep track of how many by the toothpick boxes finished off.....somewhere just over 14,000 including moinks & choinks & specialty items.....

Thanks Bear C. ...and Y.B.C. (You Bet Cha ) !!!

Hope it adds to the arsenal for folks somehow !!!!

Comment

I think thats worth innovation

good job
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

SmokinOutBack Here's another short set of different types.....

L to R.........
                      Standard issue tandoori spiced cream cheese 'Turds.

Shabu-shabu (1/8"thin cut ribeye) beef wrap,

Chicken from Hell...sort of...from the book "Smoke & Spice"

The Beef ones are really good......

Straight cream cheese, a little smattering of this:

And very careful wrapping of the slices,as they're hyper-thin....

I cook them as gently as possible, creeping up on the "doneness" so the meat doesn't toughen up.....

The shabu-shabu stuff can be found at perhaps a large Chinese or Korean market that has a good meat/ deli dept.......it's the oval core of the ribeye, sliced into 1/16 ~ 1/8" pieces....looks just like a solid steak until you open the package........
                      The place get it also has brisket & clod sliced like this......

It's translation is swish-swish.....as the way this is usually cooked is by swishing it in a hot broth or soup.....
                      Last edited by 1buckie; 03-16-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                        I think thats worth innovation

good job
                        Thanks, Mr. Salt !!!

Comment

I'll be using that end around next time, should prevent major blowouts. Miss out on the cheese spikes though.

Comment

Nice work Buckie!

Lovin the kettle pics

Comment

Where can I find details on that MacGyver Rack mod? I tried Google with no luck

Comment

Working...
                              X