Anybody play with pressure cookers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
    has any one cooked a chuck, CSR or brisket in a SV below 165.......curious what the out come was.............
    I just did a couple of small chuckies SV just this past weekend. Seasoned with JAB, garlic, onion, lemon, S & cbp. Then I smoked them for 5 hrs with Hickory pellets and SV for 21 hrs @140. Had some sliced for Sunday dinner and threw the rest back in the SV for an overnight cook at 175 for Pulled beef. Turned out great, pics up soon.

I did some bacon wrapped CSR's a while back but they didn't turn out so well. I forgot how long I cooked them but it was too long. Couldn't slice them or they would fall apart. They ended up as Pulled pork and were good for that. I'm going to have to give that one another go.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Yeah..a PC is nothing like a SV unit. PC’s cook fast. High pressure steam, in the neighborhood of 250°F is what does the trick in a PC
      Originally posted by dcarch View Post
      SV and PC are conceptually almost the same.

SV cooks at precisely the same temperature using electronics, accurate to less than one degree.

A PC cooks at precisely the same temperature using water boiling temperature under pressure.

Differences: The temperature can be adjustable for a a SV cooker, therefore you can cook at very low temperature. For a PC it can only cook at one single temperature higher than boiling temperature.

A PC can cook meat fast to "falling apart", but not tender.
      A SV can cook meat to tender.

There is a very big difference in mouth feel between falling apart and tender.

dcarch
      Actually they are complete opposites;

Water at 14.7 psia (sea level) boils at 212°F

Water at 60 psia (pressure cooker) boils at 293°F

Water at 1 psia (SV or Vacuum Sealed package) boils at 95°F

Please see the attachments they are great boiling point charts.

I have always understood how and why pressure cooker work, high pressure and high temperature results in a shorter cooking time. It is also what makes them dangers. If the lid and rocker pressure relief valve are not seated properly, well you have a pressure cooker bomb like the ones used at the Boston marathon.

I think this is the same theory of the instapots. They are just upgraded and supposedly safer. Time will tell on that one.

But it also leads me quandary with SV cooking if you are boiling the juice in a piece of meat at 95°F under a vacuum why do you have to cook the said piece of meat for 10 hours?

I hope this helps with the discussion.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by crusty ol salt; 01-23-2018, 05:10 PM.
      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

PV=nRT

Thanks padre’.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

You are welcome.

Some things just stick with you after 16 years of producing liquid oxygen (boils at -297°F) and nitrogen (boils -321°F) at for military use.

The first four years was working with 1200 psi / 975°F steam plants on a destroyer. Talk about cooking fast.

sigpic

Comment

PV=nRT

Thanks padre’.
            You really need to get rid of that avatar
            I am having a hard time not upchucking everytime I see it.
            It is not suitable for food forums in my opinion

PBC Drum Smoker
            Bradley Digital 4 Rack
            THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
            Miss Piggy Smoker
            Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
              Actually they are complete opposites;

Water at 14.7 psia (sea level) boils at 212°F

Water at 60 psia (pressure cooker) boils at 293°F

Water at 1 psia (SV or Vacuum Sealed package) boils at 95°F

Please see the attachments they are great boiling point charts.

I have always understood how and why pressure cooker work, high pressure and high temperature results in a shorter cooking time. It is also what makes them dangers. If the lid and rocker pressure relief valve are not seated properly, well you have a pressure cooker bomb like the ones used at the Boston marathon.

I think this is the same theory of the instapots. They are just upgraded and supposedly safer. Time will tell on that one.

But it also leads me quandary with SV cooking if you are boiling the juice in a piece of meat at 95°F under a vacuum why do you have to cook the said piece of meat for 10 hours?

I hope this helps with the discussion.
              I think you misunderstood me. My point was that conceptually the two are similar in that they both will allow exact temperature to be maintained while cooking.

My other understanding about SV is that SV has nothing to do with vacuum. You use a vacuum machine to evacuate air to achieve better water/food thermal conduction. That's why many people, me included, don't use a vacuum machine. Even after you vacuum sealed a SV bag, it is still under normal atmospheric pressure. You can never create a vacuum using a soft container, airless yes, vacuum no.

The long cooking time allows the chemistry to tenderize the meat. As I said, high temperature can make the meat fall apart, but that does not mean the meat is tender.

Finally, I don't think a PC can explode. What typically happens is that the valve gets dirty and blocks venting of pressure, and finally the safety valve blows and creates a messy eruption (with tomato sauce on your ceiling). Eruption yes, explosion no.

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
                You really need to get rid of that avatar
                I am having a hard time not upchucking everytime I see it.
                It is not suitable for food forums in my opinion
                Done!
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I do not have one but a buddy of mine got one for Christmas.
                  He told me that it was the most Popular Gift for Christmas last year!
                  So I looked it up and sure enuff!
                  https://instantpot.com/

Comment

Done!
                    Love it LOL

PBC Drum Smoker
                    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                    Miss Piggy Smoker
                    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

My other understanding about SV is that SV has nothing to do with vacuum. You use a vacuum machine to evacuate air to achieve better water/food thermal conduction. That's why many people, me included, don't use a vacuum machine. Even after you vacuum sealed a SV bag, it is still under normal atmospheric pressure. You can never create a vacuum using a soft container, airless yes, vacuum no.

The long cooking time allows the chemistry to tenderize the meat. As I said, high temperature can make the meat fall apart, but that does not mean the meat is tender.

dcarch
                      [/QUOTE]

Now I am back to safe cooking temperatures as we have preached here for years. Basically 4 hours from the fridge to above 140°F or you need a cure?

Having a piece of meat that is not vacuum sealed stew at temp less than 140°F for any extended time would be a petri dish just waiting to give someone food poisoning....

Just saying you can't have it both ways.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post

dcarch
                        Now I am back to safe cooking temperatures as we have preached here for years. Basically 4 hours from the fridge to above 140°F or you need a cure?

Having a piece of meat that is not vacuum sealed stew at temp less than 140°F for any extended time would be a petri dish just waiting to give someone food poisoning....

Just saying you can't have it both ways.[/QUOTE]

That is a long long involved topic, and I don't have all the link-able facts handy to discuss. Let's just say on a public forum like this, Whatever USDA says should be your guideline for food safety.

But let me talk about my own personal opinion, and its just a personal opinion, no one should do what I do. I believe the guidelines are for the very young, very old and health compromised individuals, with another layer of safety factor put on top just to be safe.

There are studies around with other recommendations for food safety, you can probably Google and find them.

You like Chinese Peking ducks? They are prepared the night before, air dried all night at room temperature (sometimes tropical temperature), roasted in a different shop, shipped to the restaurant, hung in the window all day at ambient temperature (go to Chinatown they are in every store). Billions of people have eaten them for thousands of years, no one has gotten sick yet.

SV has been around a very very long time, and have been in use by many people worldwide.

More people are killed by fatty hamburgers everyday.

dcarch
                        Last edited by dcarch; 01-23-2018, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Yes, absence of air is correct.It's still at 14.7 Lbs SqIn. So is a flat tire.

Thermal conduction is a major point. And precise temp control. AND over time. It’s a different field. Chicken breast at 142? Sure. Not that I want a pink hunk of chicken... but in 4 or so hours or something like that..it’s safe.

Comment

Working...
                          X