First Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Turkey

I have a turkey on the smoker, and it has been in for two hours, at 230.
    I saw the warning in the stickys about getting it through the danger zone in less than 4 hours, so if It is not moving at a pace that looks like I will make it, I will pull from the smoker and pop in the oven at 350 for a bit.

Should I wrap the turkey? I have done turkey breasts, which I wrapped, but don't know about the whole turkey.
    I know it takes 3 - 5 hours in the oven at 325, to cook one, but am not sure how long a whole turkey will take.

Any quick warnings or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks BBQ gurus!!

I would increase your smoker temp to 300 or so (higher for crispy skin) and don't wrap...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Can't you just jack up the Smoker Temp?

How big is the Turkey?

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        I would increase your smoker temp to 300 or so (higher for crispy skin) and don't wrap...
        X2^^^^^^^
        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
        Weber 22.5" WSM
        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
        Weber Smokey Joe
        GMG Daniel Boone
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
        The Vortex

Comment

X3, what they said.
          Pete
          Large BGE
          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

THanks, I opened the damper, got the temp at the bird end up to 280, which brought the Brisket end --yes doing both at once:-\ to, about 235-240.
            Bird got done in about 3 hours. it seems ok.
            Took the brisky out at 197deg. It is in the cooler, resting. Bad news is the temp probe never went in like butter, like it usually does.

Comment

Working...
            X