Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Side Items

Side Items Smoked Or Not You Just Need Good Sides.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 First crack at venison bacon
Last Post: Kicken Asphalt
Posted On: 12-13-2017
Replies: 9
Views: 176
0 Thin Blade Knives?
Last Post: WALLE
Replies: 19
Views: 177
0 Tres leche cake
Last Post: Fishawn
Replies: 1
Views: 13
0 Ribeyes with chimichurri.
Replies: 2
Views: 24
0 Project
Replies: 19
Views: 177
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,464 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,981 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,840 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Default Hasselback Potatoes

This was a new one for me and it looked intereting so I wanted to try it. In it's simplest form, just a couple of taters and some butter. I threw in some simple spices like garlic, parsley, and some onion powder. Plus, you can do these on the smoker, the grill or the oven. The thickenss of the slices are all a matter of personal preference as well. Some folks skin the tater, others leave the skin on as I did.

The deal here is to slice the potato but not all the way through so you have a back bone left at the bottom. The trick to doing this is a sharp knife and a couple of wooden spoons:

The prep:

You can continue to baste as much as you like. Some Hebrew Nationals thrown in for good measure:

Finished:

and the most important part, eating them. My kids loved them with ketchup of course. I drizzeled on some vinegar and a little fine ground kosher salt.

You can see the backbone on the bottom. They easily peal off. I loved the texture as well. Crsispy on the outside and tender inside but not so much that it falls apart. So, if you smoke them, I would suggest a short stop under the broiler to crisp them up a bit.

Anyway, that's what I did. Thanks for looking. I'm thinking this could be fun to see what people come up with. Time will tell I guess.
Masterbuilt 7 in 1

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Thats a great idea... gotta try that!!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 07-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Thanks for posting this! What a great idea to make potatoes interesting and fun. This has Mad Hunky Hasselbacks written all over it.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Pit Master

northern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Gurunorthern greenhorn Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Cool idea, you could even stick slivers of garlic in betwwen the slices

GOSM
K.C.B.S Member # 60786
Digital Thermometers
Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I like meat

Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All
Squirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To AllSquirrel Is  A Name Known To All

Holy cow! Love this idea great way to get lots of flavor in between the slices. Thanks for posting this.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM
fire and brimstone

PreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodPreacherRodgers Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

i see potatoes in my near future
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern greenhorn View Post
Thats exactly how we do it...

Points to Pete for reminding me of these fantastic spuds....
Old 07-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Smokin meat Wu-Tang Style

wutang Is  A Name Known To All
wutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To Allwutang Is  A Name Known To All

Hell yeah. Those look great. I am thinking garlic and a few red pepper flakes then hit with some parmesan cheese to finish. A great looking side dish.
KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

I'm thinking garlic mushroom (morel) butter! yup this will happen!
Nice stuff A man!

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:29 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Thanks for posting this! What a great idea to make potatoes interesting and fun. This has Mad Hunky Hasselbacks written all over it.
I think I'm gonna do a couple right now! Thanks Abel!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Keepin' on Smokin'

Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All
Bassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To AllBassman Is  A Name Known To All

Looks great, Pete! I think I'll melt some cheddar cheese on top and let it run down between the slices.

Smoke Vault 24
Old 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern greenhorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Thats exactly how we do it...

Points to Pete for reminding me of these fantastic spuds....
OOO OOO..paper thin onion slices and garlic butter... OMG...
Old 07-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Hunt it, Fish it, EAT IT!

WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All
WALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To AllWALLE Is  A Name Known To All

Very clever process with the spoons! I have some flat bamboo that will work perfect!!

Curious on the cook time/temp. I've cooked buckets of tatters, cubed, seasoned, in foil bags on the grill and they take about 15 min per side.

Baked taters... I keep trying!!!

I gotta hit ya with points for the new spud idear~!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Lovin the Hog

T-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke GuruT-bone Tim Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

I love this idea can't wait to give this a try

homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )
Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Bourbon bifocals

Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All
Uncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To AllUncle-Honky Is  A Name Known To All

Fantastic spuds! Kick ass idea! Thanks for sharing. This is next on the list. I'm with the onion sliced thin and garlic butter crowd...for now

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
Clint Eastwood

Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
Fantastic spuds! Kick ass idea! Thanks for sharing. This is next on the list. I'm with the onion sliced thin and garlic butter crowd...for now

I can't wait to try this out.... Did anyone get to do them tonight? .... Potatoes are pretty much a blank slate IMO these could be done so many different ways.... Just needed the idea.... Thanks Pete
Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Mums secret recpie

Pandemonium Is  A Name Known To All
Pandemonium Is  A Name Known To All

I like it! Gonna try this
Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Sausagehead

Kingudaroad Is  A Name Known To All
Kingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To AllKingudaroad Is  A Name Known To All

I may try throwing one in the deep fryer.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:23 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingudaroad View Post
I may try throwing one in the deep fryer.
Do an onion but cross-cut like that... spicy batter gooped on... "Bloomin' Onion" from the "Outback" chain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Side Items