Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Side Items

Side Items Smoked Or Not You Just Need Good Sides.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Cold Weather Thanksgiving Turkey [emoji884] Smoke
Last Post: Abelman
Posted On: 11-23-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 32
0 What are You Thankful For on This Thanksgiving?
Last Post: Abelman
Posted On: 11-23-2017
Replies: 12
Views: 103
0 Mad Hunky Hot Whang Jerky
Last Post: DDave
Posted On: 11-22-2017
Replies: 12
Views: 154
0 Blog by foosball player
Last Post: Mark R
Replies: 15
Views: 197
0 2017 T-Bird Project!
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 13
Views: 179
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,423 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,883 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 642,984 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 AM
SQWIB

SQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To All
SQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To AllSQWIB Is  A Name Known To All
Default French Onion Soup

January 2nd, 2017
French Onion Soup

French onion soup has got to be my favorite soup, well it's actually a tie between French Onion Soup and Beef Barley Soup but I don't think it's fair to compare apples to oranges.

I always buy a 10 pound bag of onions from Sams club and whatever don't get used in a few weeks, I'll recycle into French Onion Soup.

I usually wing this recipe but this time I loosely followed this recipe by Tyler Florence

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 4 onions, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 fresh thyme sprigs
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup red wine, about 1/2 bottle
  • 3 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 quarts beef broth
  • 1 baguette, sliced
  • 1/2 pound grated Gruyere

Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. (took me several hours). Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes (half an hour). Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Now add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Here's where I went off on my own, see pics.

When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Ladle the soup in bowls and float several of the Gruyere croutons on top.

Alternative method: Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese. Put the bowls into the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese.

Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence

Lets get started

I planned on provolone for the cheese but would have liked the Gruyere, anyhow I had neither and ended up with Mozzarella which is fine.

Onions and 3/4 stick of butter

Fresh Thyme from the garden, Garlic and Bay leaves

Salt and pepper, I was careful of the salt due to me using salted butter, beef base and beef bouillon, but wanted to salt the onions to draw out the moisture.

Red wine

Removed Bay and Thyme sprig

I had no beef broth so I decided to use chicken broth and doctor it up with beef base an beef bouillon.

I like cheese so I put some on the bread in addition to the top.

I add a bit of fresh cracked pepper on top of the cheese, it really makes the cheese pop.

Bake at 400 until I couldn't stand it anymore!

♪♫ Heaven ♫♪

I usually don't use Thyme but I don't think I would ever make this again without the thyme.
I got a lot of complaints when making this due to smell. My oldest daughter told me she went to work and everyone was noticing this odd smell, turns out it was my French Onion Soup following her to work!
However, the soup was fantastic!

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Smoker

dsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To All
dsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To Alldsgarner06 Is  A Name Known To All

Heck yeah love me some french onion soup! That looks awesome! Nice job!

Yoder YS640
Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
Frogmats
Maverick ET 732
Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

Old 01-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

Yep, good stuff there!!!

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 01-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Great Post SQWIB !!----

Nice Job "Splaining" it (Lucy)!

I could eat a bowl of that myself!!

Bear
Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 AM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

I love FOS! That looks fanfreakintastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe... now that winter has set in, it's soup thyme!!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Orycteropus Bbqensis

curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All
curious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To Allcurious aardvark Is  A Name Known To All

also one of my favourite soups

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head
Old 01-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

That ought to warm the insides on a cold day. Looks tasty.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

I've never had the pleasure of trying french onion soup, but that looks divine! One of these days I'll break down and make it, thanks for sharing your recipe !
Old 01-06-2017, 02:02 PM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All
barkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To Allbarkonbutts Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
I've never had the pleasure of trying french onion soup, but that looks divine! One of these days I'll break down and make it, thanks for sharing your recipe !
Yeah you have to try this stuff. It is so so good. Use the vino and herbs, way better than what you get at a restaurant...

Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 01-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Pit Master

sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All
sweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To Allsweet_magnolia Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitRow View Post
I'm with Mike. Don't know why I have never tried it. That sure does look amazing!!

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
Weber Smokey Joe
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
Pink Thermapen
Purple Thermapen
Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
I'm with Mike. Don't know why I have never tried it. That sure does look amazing!!
Only thing better than a bowl of this Becky, is the second bowl...

~ P4 ~

And may they always be.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Lake & BBQ Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgHeaven View Post
Only thing better than a bowl of this Becky, is the second bowl...
Also I find it freezes great!! Makes for a great easy meal!! Also if you have a pick of onions, the texas sweet or vildalia onions work best if you ask me vs the Spanish or white or red... just my opinion though!

Yoder YS640
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Kettle
Weber Performer
Misfit # 1899

Old 01-06-2017, 03:26 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkonbutts View Post
Also I find it freezes great!! Makes for a great easy meal!! Also if you have a pick of onions, the texas sweet or vildalia onions work best if you ask me vs the Spanish or white or red... just my opinion though!
I am a definite sweet onion fan... I especially LOVE Vidalia onions!! The Spanish, white and red have their place, butt in something like this... you need sweet!

~ P4 ~

And may they always be.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

I just ate but now I'm hungry again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 PM
I got nothin

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

OK thanks SQUIB Looks like this will be on my menu very soon...
Old 01-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

surely looks fantastic!...Cheers for the recipe!

Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Im Ross,I'm a Meatatarian

rbranstner Is  A Name Known To All
rbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To Allrbranstner Is  A Name Known To All

That looks awesome.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 PM
Rub Mixer

TKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke GuruTKOBBQ Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

Man that looks awesomely delicious.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Rub Mixer

Tomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To All
Tomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To AllTomshoots Is  A Name Known To All

Way too long since I had FO...and yours looks beautimous!

"Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
UDS, Viking grill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Side Items