Fried Pickles in the Oven.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Pickles in the Oven.....

Well, I have to admit I absolutely love fried pickles. We're starting to find more and more places out here that serve them but it's still pretty slim in terms of those that do. When I do find them, I order them. However, it's not an item that works very well in terms of getting an extra order and taking them home for the next day

I ran across an oven version as I don't generally ever fry foods here with lots of oil.

So, to start, I made a dipping sauce:

Dipping Sauce:
    • 1/2 cup light Duke’s mayo, I used our regulars stuff
    • 2 tblsp pickle juice (from the jar of pickles)
    • 1 tblsp sriracha hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)

Then the pickles:

Ingredients:
    • One small jar dill pickle chips
    • One small box panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 cup milk
    • sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste (I added some Smittys)

On my first run, the batter wasn't thick enough and didn't stick to the pickles very well. As you might guess, that caused a little bit of a problem so I'll work on it next time. I didn't dry/blot the pickles beforehand so perhaps that will help

In any event, here are the directions I followed:

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with non-stick spray. Mix the egg and milk together in a bowl. Drain the pickles from the jar and add them to the egg/milk mixture. Place panko in a large ziploc bag. Add the pickles to the panko and shake vigorously so that all the pickles are well coated in panko.
    Spread the pickles out in a thin layer on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the panko turns golden brown

After all was said and done, they were very good for a first try. One of my kids says they need more crunch but I think that gets to the batter issue as they weren't uniform in terms of the bread crumbs. I piled more on after they went on the cookie sheet. Next time........

In any event, using good pickles is key. Don't get the cheap sandwich slices.

Here's the result:

The dipping sauce is excellent so you may only want that for other things, if you aren't into the pickles, seriously.

Thanks for looking.
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
    Thanks Pete! That looks delish! I've never tried to fry pickles... after seeing this, I think I might!
    Nice work FriedPickleCatDaddy!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Love fried pickles! I work next to a Hooters and they have them. Never thought about baking them, great idea.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Those look good

I have never made them in the oven, but Pam's sister does them all the time. I don't have the recipe she uses(I'll ask her for it)but I know some of the ingredients she uses(not sure of amounts). Flour, white cornmeal, Panko that she puts in the food processor for a finer grit, Parmesan cheese, eggs, milk, and Cajun spice. She does pat them with a paper towel before dredging and coating them. She also cooks them on a cooling rack set inside of a cookie sheet pan.
        Not sure about time or temps, but they are crispy and good.
        Jim

Comment

Looks Tasty!!---

Hmmm, Never had them!!

I'm sure I'd like them, because I love Fried Zuke & Fried Eggplant!!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Love me some fried pickles. We order them if a restaurant has them. This method looks tempting.
            Arron W.

YS 640
            Primo Oval XL
            Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
            Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
            Weber Copper Top
            Old Smokey
            Orion
            Gasser
            2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
            24" Disco with custom burner
            Red Thermapen
            2-Maverick ET-733
            Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
            sigpic

Comment

I love fried pickles! A lot of places around here do them with sweet pickles though.

An oven version sounds right up my alley! Thanks for sharing.
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                Those look good

I have never made them in the oven, but Pam's sister does them all the time. I don't have the recipe she uses(I'll ask her for it)but I know some of the ingredients she uses(not sure of amounts). Flour, white cornmeal, Panko that she puts in the food processor for a finer grit, Parmesan cheese, eggs, milk, and Cajun spice. She does pat them with a paper towel before dredging and coating them. She also cooks them on a cooling rack set inside of a cookie sheet pan.
                Not sure about time or temps, but they are crispy and good.
                Details man, Details! I need them
                Pete
                Large BGE
                Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Those look tasty indeed, Pete...
                  Have you ever done dill spears? I seem to remember someone around here doing some fried spears...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                  Paul

Comment

Looks like they turned out great Pete, nice job! I have only had them once in a restaurant, and did not really care for them. I think yours would be mo better though
                    sigpic

Comment

Only time I ever had fried pickles was in a hospital cafeteria...Not so good...But I like the concept...And baking rather than frying leads me to think that I could do a grilled version...

for the inspire Pete...Thanks...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        Only time I ever had fried pickles was in a hospital cafeteria...Not so good...But I like the concept...And baking rather than frying leads me to think that I could do a grilled version...

for the inspire Pete...Thanks...
                        Rotisserie
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Rotisserie
                          I got me cucumber seeds in the mail just the other day...Hmmmm
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

I like the concept. We have a place down here that fries whole dill pickles, they good!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I like fried pickles a lot...even had some fried green olives one time that were pretty damn excellent.. Never made them at home, but I see no reason I couldn't! Great idea Pete.
                              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
                              X