Smoked-Meat Forums

Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Side Items

Side Items Smoked Or Not You Just Need Good Sides.

Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Show Us Where You Are.
Last Post: THE ICEMAN
Posted On: 12-12-2017
Replies: 12
Views: 7,876
0 Chick-fil-A Sandwich....
Last Post: Uncle Sauce
Replies: 11
Views: 172
0 Prime Brisket
Last Post: Blue Dog BBQ
Replies: 23
Views: 239
0 SV Reheating my Prime Rib
Last Post: Bearcarver
Replies: 0
Views: 26
0 8lb. Round Roast To Jerky
Last Post: devo
Replies: 16
Views: 160
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,462 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,973 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 644,641 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...

Old 03-15-2017, 04:07 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Default Fried Pickles in the Oven.....

Well, I have to admit I absolutely love fried pickles. We're starting to find more and more places out here that serve them but it's still pretty slim in terms of those that do. When I do find them, I order them. However, it's not an item that works very well in terms of getting an extra order and taking them home for the next day

I ran across an oven version as I don't generally ever fry foods here with lots of oil.

So, to start, I made a dipping sauce:

Dipping Sauce:
• 1/2 cup light Duke’s mayo, I used our regulars stuff
• 2 tblsp pickle juice (from the jar of pickles)
• 1 tblsp sriracha hot sauce (or your favorite hot sauce)

Then the pickles:

Ingredients:
• One small jar dill pickle chips
• One small box panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup milk
• sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste (I added some Smittys)

On my first run, the batter wasn't thick enough and didn't stick to the pickles very well. As you might guess, that caused a little bit of a problem so I'll work on it next time. I didn't dry/blot the pickles beforehand so perhaps that will help

In any event, here are the directions I followed:

Directions:
Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray generously with non-stick spray. Mix the egg and milk together in a bowl. Drain the pickles from the jar and add them to the egg/milk mixture. Place panko in a large ziploc bag. Add the pickles to the panko and shake vigorously so that all the pickles are well coated in panko.
Spread the pickles out in a thin layer on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the panko turns golden brown

After all was said and done, they were very good for a first try. One of my kids says they need more crunch but I think that gets to the batter issue as they weren't uniform in terms of the bread crumbs. I piled more on after they went on the cookie sheet. Next time........

In any event, using good pickles is key. Don't get the cheap sandwich slices.

Here's the result:

The dipping sauce is excellent so you may only want that for other things, if you aren't into the pickles, seriously.

Thanks for looking.
Masterbuilt 7 in 1

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 03-15-2017, 04:15 PM
<--- Me Li'l Sous Chef

HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All
HawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To AllHawgHeaven Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelman View Post
Thanks Pete! That looks delish! I've never tried to fry pickles... after seeing this, I think I might!
Nice work FriedPickleCatDaddy!

~ P4 ~

There are good ships and wood ships,
The ships that sail the sea,
But the best ships are friendships,
And may they always be.

http://www.hhsbbq.com
Old 03-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Pit Master

SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All
SmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To AllSmokinOutBack Is  A Name Known To All

Love fried pickles! I work next to a Hooters and they have them. Never thought about baking them, great idea.

@SmokinJim52 on Twitter
Old 03-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Pit Master

BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All
BYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To AllBYBBQ Is  A Name Known To All

Those look good

I have never made them in the oven, but Pam's sister does them all the time. I don't have the recipe she uses(I'll ask her for it)but I know some of the ingredients she uses(not sure of amounts). Flour, white cornmeal, Panko that she puts in the food processor for a finer grit, Parmesan cheese, eggs, milk, and Cajun spice. She does pat them with a paper towel before dredging and coating them. She also cooks them on a cooling rack set inside of a cookie sheet pan.
Not sure about time or temps, but they are crispy and good.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 PM
Pit Master

Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All
Bearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To AllBearcarver Is  A Name Known To All

Looks Tasty!!---

Hmmm, Never had them!!

I'm sure I'd like them, because I love Fried Zuke & Fried Eggplant!!!

Bear
Old 03-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Rub Mixer

zeroghd Is  A Name Known To All
zeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To Allzeroghd Is  A Name Known To All

Love me some fried pickles. We order them if a restaurant has them. This method looks tempting.

YS 640
Primo Oval XL
Lone Star Grillz 24x48
Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
Weber Copper Top
Old Smokey
Orion
Gasser
2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
24" Disco with custom burner
Red Thermapen
2-Maverick ET-733

Old 03-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Pit Master

PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All
PitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To AllPitRow Is  A Name Known To All

I love fried pickles! A lot of places around here do them with sweet pickles though.

An oven version sounds right up my alley! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Pepper Head

Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All
Abelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To AllAbelman Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBBQ View Post
Those look good

I have never made them in the oven, but Pam's sister does them all the time. I don't have the recipe she uses(I'll ask her for it)but I know some of the ingredients she uses(not sure of amounts). Flour, white cornmeal, Panko that she puts in the food processor for a finer grit, Parmesan cheese, eggs, milk, and Cajun spice. She does pat them with a paper towel before dredging and coating them. She also cooks them on a cooling rack set inside of a cookie sheet pan.
Not sure about time or temps, but they are crispy and good.
Details man, Details! I need them
Masterbuilt 7 in 1
Old 03-15-2017, 07:03 PM
🌵

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
Cool

Those look tasty indeed, Pete...
Have you ever done dill spears? I seem to remember someone around here doing some fried spears...
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Old 03-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Looks like they turned out great Pete, nice job! I have only had them once in a restaurant, and did not really care for them. I think yours would be mo better though
Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Only time I ever had fried pickles was in a hospital cafeteria...Not so good...But I like the concept...And baking rather than frying leads me to think that I could do a grilled version...

for the inspire Pete...Thanks...
Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Biltong King

Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All
Fishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To AllFishawn Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Only time I ever had fried pickles was in a hospital cafeteria...Not so good...But I like the concept...And baking rather than frying leads me to think that I could do a grilled version...

for the inspire Pete...Thanks...
Rotisserie
Old 03-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Cookin with fire

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishawn View Post
Rotisserie
I got me cucumber seeds in the mail just the other day...Hmmmm
Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 PM
Barque Berner

Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All
Mark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To AllMark R Is  A Name Known To All

I like the concept. We have a place down here that fries whole dill pickles, they good!

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!
Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 PM
RIP Cowgirl Cassidy

BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All
BBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To AllBBQ Engineer Is  A Name Known To All

I like fried pickles a lot...even had some fried green olives one time that were pretty damn excellent.. Never made them at home, but I see no reason I couldn't! Great idea Pete.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Pit Master

zombini Is  A Name Known To All
zombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To Allzombini Is  A Name Known To All

I love fried pickles... those look really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Genesis Silver
Smokin Tex
MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
Maverick ET 732
Brown and lime green ThermaPens
2 orange ThermoPops
A-Maze-N Tube 18"
A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
Vortex
Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Let's Rock Louie!

Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All
Slanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To AllSlanted88 Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
I like the concept. We have a place down here that fries whole dill pickles, they good!
don't forget a radish...

Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Life is too short!

thepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guruthepoolguy Is Becoming A Smoke Guru

You're killing me, love the fried pickles. Looking to try this one also...
https://youtu.be/gxZ6a_rVck8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
several burners
pool/spa (of course)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Cookin with fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoolguy View Post
You're killing me, love the fried pickles. Looking to try this one also...
https://youtu.be/gxZ6a_rVck8

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hell yeah!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Side Items