X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like rich says - try and keep the nomenclature to the trade name rather than the active content.
    We're trying to simplify things not complicate them

Lot of good info in what you said Denis. Don't think I meant otherwise

I was just trying to clarify that it does not matter whether it's a wet or dry cure.
    You pick the cure type based purely on length of time the meat will be in the cure.

ie: under 10 days in cure - use cure #1 in wet OR dry cures.
    Over 10 days use cure #2

You can also use cure #2 in short cures - but you can't use cure#1 in longer cures.

So if you're on a budget - just buy cure #2 It's suitable for ALL charcuterie.

Tenderquick actually contains nitrite and nitrate so is more like cure #2.

Courses are often taught by people who were taught by people who have: 'always done things this way because this is the way thngs are done.'
    So if they've always used cure #1 for wet brines, that's what they'll teach. From a chemists point of view - it makes absolutely no difference whether it's wet or dry. And I always try and teach people why something is done not simply how. A lot of courses don't work on that principle.

And yes potassium nitrate is used instead of sodium nitrate because it stays dry. Sodium nitrate is very hydroscopic and absorbs a lot of water - so it's weight changes. Which would give you inconsistent cure salts as well as increased handling complications in the factories producing the cure salts.
    You should know that rich, same reason it's rarely used in pyro mixes

To further extend this discussion you can get different strengths of curing salts.

I personally use a cure salt with both nitrite and nitrate that is used at 15g per kg of meat.
    Basically approx twice as concentrated as tenderquick and six times less concentrated than cure #2
    It works for any charcuterie job, nothing is ever too salty and it's almost impossible to poison anybody with it

There are various different brands and concentrations out there.

None of which pose any kind of problem if you follow the cardinal rule:

Always Weigh Cure Salts According To Usage Amounts On The Packet.

Now there are recipes and websites that will say to use neat potassium nitrate. And potassium nitrate is very easy to buy. It's used by gardeners as a fertiliser additive, firework makers and anybody who wants to make their own blackpowder. I've got a few tubs around - but I make sure they don't get anywhere near my kitchen and I would never consider using it for food purposes.

Sodium nitrite - probably less common. But still easy to buy online.

If you are doing commercial quantities of meat curing - then it would make sense to buy the neat chemical and blend your own curing salts. Bloody carefully !
    For the home charcuterier though, ready blended salts offer cheap and non-lethal alternatives.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 02-28-2013, 11:53 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

If you freeze beef is it safe or does it need curing?
      sigpic
      Weber 22.5 kettle
      Smokin in the Smokies
      Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
      Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by fishermanlawncare View Post
        Safe for???? Need more info.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

sorry. If you freeze beef is it safe to make jerky or does it need curing
          sigpic
          Weber 22.5 kettle
          Smokin in the Smokies
          Here's to swimmin with bowlegged women.
          Jerry

Comment

If you are going to cold smoke, then dehydrate it, it it still needs to be cured. If you are going to hot smoke it to 165° it does not. 40° to 140° in four hours.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

sorry. If you freeze beef is it safe to make jerky or does it need curing
              From Rich's original post

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Yumm..jerky! Be it venison, beef, turkey...what ever! One of the most compact forms of high energy protein there is. But there are a few rules...

Most jerky is done in a "low and slow" environment, either in a smoker, dehydrator, or both. And it is usually not "cooked". This pretty much mandates a cure. Not a brine. Not a marinade. A CURE. Any meat products that are not brought from 40° to 140° within 4 hours need to be cured
              Please go back and read the rest. I got my eyes opened wide on this one

As far as freezing, it aids with thin slicing
              Last edited by crusty ol salt; 10-14-2013, 07:56 PM.
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

It's not wether it's froze or not. Freezing is for wild game and the killing of possible parasites. ALL meat processed as jerky needs to be cured. Unless, of course you cook it. Which means to an internal temp of 165 degrees F within 4 hours of removal from fridge.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

ground beef and jerky

My neighbor gave me some jerky that was made from ground beef. Was good and couldn't believe it was made from ground beef. I've started making it using the same thing with the curing and seasoning packets you can buy. I would like to make my own cure and use some different seasonings and experiment. I've looked at this thread and i'm confused about using Morton's Tender Quick....how much to use per lb of ground beef and if sugar is needed. Anyone have an idea? Thanks!
                  www.nopigleftbehind.com
                  -----------------------------

Comment

My understanding is 1.5 tsp of Tinder Quick per pound of ground meat.. I go with 1 tsp per pound so it is not as salty and allow to cure for a bit longer..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

thanks Ken! Do I need any sugar?
                      www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

the cure packets say not to let it sit but to mix it in and use it immediately. Would that be the case as well with using TQ?
                        www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

No sugar needed unless you want it a bit sweeter.. Are you asking about cure #1 / aka pink salt packet? I also mix all my seasonings including TQ or Cure #1 in water before mixing.. I use 1 oz. water per pound..
                          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
                            the cure packets say not to let it sit but to mix it in and use it immediately. Would that be the case as well with using TQ?
                            with ground meat,,the cure is almost instantaneous. You can immediately process. I’d wait an hour..but that’s it. Good ta see ya Gooose!
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Good ta see ya Gooose!
                              Thanks Rich.....I'm going to try and hang out more on the forum.
                              www.nopigleftbehind.com

Comment

Working...
                              X