Polish Sausage and Kraut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish Sausage and Kraut

Erain was kind enough to share some homemade sourkraut with us at the gathering. First I thought of brats on the grill, but then I remembered about the polish sausage I recently made.

My mom was always cooking for an army, so she never got real fancy. She'd take a bunch of polish sausage or ring bologna and cut them up. Put them into an enameled roasting pan. Cover it with a bunch of kraut, and bake it in the oven. Then we'd just put it over mashed potatoes.

Thanks Erain for the great kraut, some fond memories and a really good meal. Don't worry I didn't use it all. I've got some brats in the freezer. May have to make a fatty this weekend. Man is that stuff good.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
    Erain was kind enough to share some homemade sourkraut with us at the gathering. First I thought of brats on the grill, but then I remembered about the polish sausage I recently made.

My mom was always cooking for an army, so she never got real fancy. She'd take a bunch of polish sausage or ring bologna and cut them up. Put them into an enameled roasting pan. Cover it with a bunch of kraut, and bake it in the oven. Then we'd just put it over mashed potatoes.

Thanks Erain for the great kraut, some fond memories and a really good meal. Don't worry I didn't use it all. I've got some brats in the freezer. May have to make a fatty this weekend. Man is that stuff good.
    That has gotta be good stuff. My mom has these huge old crocks that she used to ferment our kraut in. But she isn't ready to give them up yet.

Tom

Comment

You LUCKY SOB
      I've made my own Kraut and it's not even in the same league as the stuff in the store.

E does his a lil different than mine and I'd sure like to try it sometime.

Glad you folks had fun!

SKOL
      Vman

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        That has gotta be good stuff. My mom has these huge old crocks that she used to ferment our kraut in. But she isn't ready to give them up yet.
        Next time you see her, TELL her she's givin you a crock THAT DAY ......
        OR you have to talk to family about putting her into a "home".

That should work!

Comment

Wow...looks great Ray!!
          jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

That looks great and I can only imagine how good the kraut is. I recall my mom making kraut in a crock back in the 50s. We could hardly wait for it to get done.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

now that looks really good! I could sit down to a big ole plate of kraut 'n sausage
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

nice ray!!! thats how we do it around here too, or with ring bologna or just a pork roast. if ya do a pork roast make some mashed taters and make a gravy with the drippings and kraut juices, and the top of taters with a heap of kraut. looks good and hope ya enjoy the rest!
                Charbroil SFB
                GOSM
                MES
                Dutch Ovens and other CI
                Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Nothing beats good homemade Kraut! Mmm- peasant dish fit for a King!
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                    Next time you see her, TELL her she's givin you a crock THAT DAY ......
                    OR you have to talk to family about putting her into a "home".

That should work!
                    I don't know if she'd go for that. She broke her hip last month, and just got out of a "home." She said if we ever put her away into one of those, she haunt us after she gone. I love my Mom and all, but I want the haunting to stop when she's dead.

Now if you want a real treat, grill some brats, them simmer them in kraut juice, beer, and onion, on the grill, them take them out and put them back on the grill to crisp up a little.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      I don't know if she'd go for that. She broke her hip last month, and just got out of a "home." She said if we ever put her away into one of those, she haunt us after she gone. I love my Mom and all, but I want the haunting to stop when she's dead.

Now if you want a real treat, grill some brats, them simmer them in kraut juice, beer, and onion, on the grill, them take them out and put them back on the grill to crisp up a little.
                      SEE??? I was right !
                      Play a little Bluff Poker with her. :)

You'll have a crock in no time.

Comment

That does look delicious RR! I have never had homemade kraut, it must be thousands of times better than the store stuff.
                        If I recall correctly, E makes his in crocks that have been in his family for a long, long time. Perhaps E would be wonderful and post that process here, it was a great post.

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

also what about the sausage recipe - is there a post I missed on that ?
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                            You LUCKY SOB
                            I've made my own Kraut and it's not even in the same league as the stuff in the store.

E does his a lil different than mine and I'd sure like to try it sometime.

Glad you folks had fun!

SKOL
                            Vman
                            You got that right Vman. Way better. Grew up eating it. The crocks are still down in grandma's basement. The only store bought kind I like is the refridgerated stuff. Can't stand the stuff in a can.
                            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            UniFlame Gas Grill
                            Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                              nice ray!!! thats how we do it around here too, or with ring bologna or just a pork roast. if ya do a pork roast make some mashed taters and make a gravy with the drippings and kraut juices, and the top of taters with a heap of kraut. looks good and hope ya enjoy the rest!
                              Love the pork roast. The church I went to growing up, does a pork and kraut dinner with all the fixings. Go every year and make a pig of myself.
                              S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              UniFlame Gas Grill
                              Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
                              X