No announcement yet.

Never smoked beef ribs before

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, not to hijack the thread, but you really need to post the Smoked Tomato Pie.. You have my attention..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      OK, not to hijack the thread, but you really need to post the Smoked Tomato Pie.. You have my attention..
      Want the recipe? You'll think you died and went to Heaven.
      If you're lookin, you ain't cookin.

Comment

Love to see it, never heard of it before.. I bet it IS Guud though..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

it’s difficult to get GOOD dinos. I suggest you look into something called a “beef plate”. Should be more to your liking...
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Indeed you were cooking short ribs...
            Back ribs are the bones cut from the whole ribeye...A much better cut...BUTT...butchers like to leave all the meat on the ribeye and sell the bones without much meat at all...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              Love to see it, never heard of it before.. I bet it IS Guud though..

Tomato Pie

1 (9-inch) frozen pie shell, thawed
              3 large tomatoes, about 1 1/2 pounds, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
              Kosher salt, for sprinkling
              1/4 cup Dijon mustard
              1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere
              1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
              1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
              1 garlic clove, minced
              2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
              Additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
              Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
              Line the shell with foil and fill with pie weights, dried beans, or rice. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the weights and foil. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more or until light golden. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
              Turn up the oven to 400 degrees F.
              Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and drain in a colander for 10 to 15 minutes. Spread the mustard over the bottom of the shell and sprinkle the cheese over it. Arrange the tomatoes over the cheese in 1 overlapping layer. Bake until the pastry is golden brown and the tomatoes are very soft, 35 to 40 minutes.
              In a small bowl, stir together the parsley, thyme, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste to blend. Sprinkle the pie with this mixture while hot and spread out gently with the back of a spoon. Serve the pie hot or at room temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bill View Post
                Tomato Pie

1 (9-inch) frozen pie shell, thawed
                3 large tomatoes, about 1 1/2 pounds, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
                Kosher salt, for sprinkling
                1/4 cup Dijon mustard
                1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere
                1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
                1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
                1 garlic clove, minced
                2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
                Additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
                Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
                Line the shell with foil and fill with pie weights, dried beans, or rice. Bake in the lower third of the oven for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the weights and foil. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes more or until light golden. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
                Turn up the oven to 400 degrees F.
                Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and drain in a colander for 10 to 15 minutes. Spread the mustard over the bottom of the shell and sprinkle the cheese over it. Arrange the tomatoes over the cheese in 1 overlapping layer. Bake until the pastry is golden brown and the tomatoes are very soft, 35 to 40 minutes.
                In a small bowl, stir together the parsley, thyme, garlic, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste to blend. Sprinkle the pie with this mixture while hot and spread out gently with the back of a spoon. Serve the pie hot or at room temperature.
                Dang, this sounds gooood!! Thanks for sharing!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I don't see how that could suck...
                  On the list
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

General purpose

One nitpickity thing.
                    Buckboard bacon is not cooked: just cured and cold smoked. What you had there was shoulder ham :-)
                    If it's cooked it's ham - if it's not cooked it's bacon.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      it’s difficult to get GOOD dinos. I suggest you look into something called a “beef plate”. Should be more to your liking...
                      Since it was my first attempt, I don't know what variety I got but I purchased it from a restaurant supply house which sells to restaurants so I would think would be selling premium cuts of meat. I'd still rather smoke a brisket.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cowboy Bill;658085]Yea been smoking for at least 15 years, just never did beef ribs. I'm smoking them for us and a neighbor who doesn't eat pork. I was going to do another brisket but I still have some in the freezer. My brisket recipe was a top 10 winner in a National Competition.

Everything you posted looks Great, Bill.
                        You do Real nice Work!!

Below is how I get Beef Ribs with a lot of meat on them, and how I usually do them:

Dino Ribs:
                        http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37623

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

[QUOTE=Bearcarver;658190]
                          Originally posted by Cowboy Bill View Post
                          Yea been smoking for at least 15 years, just never did beef ribs. I'm smoking them for us and a neighbor who doesn't eat pork. I was going to do another brisket but I still have some in the freezer. My brisket recipe was a top 10 winner in a National Competition.

Everything you posted looks Great, Bill.
                          You do Real nice Work!!

Below is how I get Beef Ribs with a lot of meat on them, and how I usually do them:

Dino Ribs:
                          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37623

Bear
                          Yea somebody else suggested that, too much work for me. I just basically followed my brisket smoking process and they came out great. I'll do yours though if it turns all that fat into meat. LOL They're not worth it and like I said, I've got a very successful beef rib smoke under my belt and won't do it again. VERY EXPENSIVE meat for as little meat as you get with them. I'll smoke some filet mignon for probably the same price per pound as what the beef ribs yielded and I'll tell you, filet mignon at 225 melts in your mouth like nothing you've ever eaten.

Comment

Working...
                          X