Canadian Bacon cure question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Bacon cure question

So on 7/18 I prepped some boneless pork loins for Canadian Bacon. Trimmed fat, rinsed, dried, weighed. 1 TBS TQ and 2 TBS brown sugar per pound. TQ applied first and rubbed in then brown sugar. Used a shallow pan and "mopped" the pan with the meat to pick up any stray cure. Bagged and in fridge. Today is day 11. Rinsing and soaking tonight prior to seasoning. Smoking tomorrow. Had a piece where the exterior coloring is a bit dark. I know there is some variance in the amount of liquid released during the curing process. Any thoughts on the pics below?
    The sell/freeze by date on the cryo bag was 7/23
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a #1 or #2 cure person personally, Hope ya didn't cure in a metal container. Meat against meat will make them off colored places, don't fret. I say smoke them. Didn't read the bagged part, my BAd!
    Last edited by barleypop; 07-29-2017, 11:42 PM. Reason: Can't read sometimes.

Comment

Why did you put the cure and sugar on in different applications rather than mixing the 2 together then applying the mixture? Could have missed the one side when rubbing the TQ on., but looks more like maybe you didn't get all or most of the air out of the bag before sealing the bag and putting it in the fridge. From there the pics look as though the meat(bag) wasn't turned everyday. Looks like it was put in the fridge and just let set for the entire or most of the curing time.

You should have followed this sticky, works every time for me.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3691
      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by barleypop View Post
        I'm a #1 or #2 cure person personally, Hope ya didn't cure in a metal container. Meat against meat will make them off colored places, don't fret. I say smoke them. Didn't read the bagged part, my BAd!

It was a metal baking pan I had the meat sitting in when I applied the TQ and the brown sugar. Meat was then placed in a ziplock and ultimately the fridge

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
          Why did you put the cure and sugar on in different applications rather than mixing the 2 together then applying the mixture? Could have missed the one side when rubbing the TQ on., but looks more like maybe you didn't get all or most of the air out of the bag before sealing the bag and putting it in the fridge. From there the pics look as though the meat(bag) wasn't turned everyday. Looks like it was put in the fridge and just let set for the entire or most of the curing time.

You should have followed this sticky, works every time for me.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3691

I followed Bear Carver's post on Canadian Bacon. He says to apply cure first then the brown sugar. When applying the cure, I would sprinkle some on the meat and rub it it, flip and repeated the process. Where the cure had been rubbed in, the meat would look a little chalky. I would sprinkle more of the measured cure on the wetter looking areas until the entire piece looked uniform if that makes sense? I would then do the same process with the brown sugar.
          I did flip the meat during the curing process. I may have missed 1-2 days or flipped in evening instead of morning due to having too much stuff going on but it definitely did not just sit during curing. Fridge had been replaced 2 weeks prior and temp set to 37 degrees as verified by my Thermapen.

Comment

I was going by the second pic. By the color. It has the look of meat that didn't get turned. The lighter color(red) looks like it sat on that spot, the rest turned brown(exposed to air & liquid)

Hard to tell too much by looking at pics.

I did look at his step by step(2 of them) and they called for 2 tsp(teaspoons) of brown sugar, not 2 TBP(tablespoons). Don't know if that would have anything to do with it. Maybe make it real sweet.

"Weigh proper amount of Tender Quick for each piece of Pork Loin—1/2 ounce (One TBS) per pound. Rub TQ on first, trying to get it distributed evenly all over the piece of meat it was measured for. Rub on about 2 tsp of Brown Sugar per pound of meat, and put the piece of meat in the bag."

This is a WAG question. By chance when you flipped the bag, could the meat have rolled and ended up setting in the same position.
            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post

That bright Pink in this Pic is usually what you get when the meat is against another piece of meat. That is also the color of the inside.
              As long as it doesn't smell bad I'm sure it's fine, because that color difference means nothing. The amount of sugar won't change the color, and as long as you're between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound, it will be fine.

I always coat the whole thing with TQ first, so I know it gets all over the meat.
              If you mix it with sugar or other things first, if it's not completely mixed when you put it on, the TQ might be on one end, and the rest of the stuff on the other end.
              It will usually spread out once it becomes a liquid, but I still do it that way to be sure.

You should be good to go.

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I already know I'm wrong to say anything, but....

"That bright Pink in this Pic is usually what you get when the meat is against another piece of meat."

Only one piece of meat. So it had to set against something long enough to cause it. Side or bottom of pan to cause it.

"As long as it doesn't smell bad I'm sure it's fine, because that color difference means nothing. The amount of sugar won't change the color, and as long as you're between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound, it will be fine."

I agree with the smell part, but the amount of sugar can cause a color difference. Light or dark brown sugar and he used 2 TBS per pound.

I'm sorry but to me it looks like it didn't cure right. Something caused that spot to not cure the same as the rest of that piece of meat.

But for maybe $4 worth of meat, I wouldn't chance it. JWWFM-YMMV
                Jim

Comment

It looks like the pink is when the piece was cut.

Sounds like time and temp is on course. I would roll with it.

Bears step by step is a good guide.

Comment

To clarify, the first pic with the darker side is the outside. The second pic is the same piece flipped over.

Comment

To clarify, the first pic with the darker side is the outside. The second pic is the same piece flipped over.

This is what I've been saying from the start about the pics and that it should have been flipped over properly several times during the curing time to avoid this. JMHO

Not saying Bear's guide is not good.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                        I already know I'm wrong to say anything, but....

"That bright Pink in this Pic is usually what you get when the meat is against another piece of meat."

Only one piece of meat. So it had to set against something long enough to cause it. Side or bottom of pan to cause it.

"As long as it doesn't smell bad I'm sure it's fine, because that color difference means nothing. The amount of sugar won't change the color, and as long as you're between 1 tsp & 1 TBS of sugar per pound, it will be fine."

I agree with the smell part, but the amount of sugar can cause a color difference. Light or dark brown sugar and he used 2 TBS per pound.

I'm sorry but to me it looks like it didn't cure right. Something caused that spot to not cure the same as the rest of that piece of meat.

But for maybe $4 worth of meat, I wouldn't chance it. JWWFM-YMMV

First off---You aren't wrong to say anything.
                        I would agree that if it's the only piece in the bag, being against the side of the bag a long time could cause the bright pink, as if it was against another piece.

As for the sugar, I have used between 1 tsp and 1 TBS, and never saw a difference in color, but I never tried 2 TBS per pound, so you could be right on that too.

However I can show you those same colors in various cured meats of mine, and like I said, if it doesn't smell bad I'd go with it. Air getting to it can make varying colors on the surfaces. The way to tell if it's cured all the way is to cut it open & see if it's Pink all the way to center. It can't be cured in the center without the surface being cured. When mine are done, the inside is usually the only part that is Pink (Cured). Being pink is Not a sign of not being cured.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

The discolored areas, are they green? It's kinda hard to tell from the pics.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                            The discolored areas, are they green? It's kinda hard to tell from the pics.

No green. That would have gotten the fast trip to the trash

Comment

No green. That would have gotten the fast trip to the trash

Prolly oxidation.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X