GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
    Anybody ever made Ham jerky I think I want to try it

Hmmm----I never did, and it sounds great!!

However I'm going to make a guess here-----I'm thinking when you dehydrate it or dry it & smoke it, or whatever you want to call it, I think it's going to get real salty, due to losing the water content, but not the salt. It will end up much smaller, yet with the same amount of salt that was there before it got smaller.
    Ham has a lot more salt in it than Pork or Beef.

Here's why I say that:
    Many moons ago, before I could smoke my own Dried Beef, the guy who used to make my Venison Dried Beef went out of business. We had to find another place that did it, so for a few years a Farmer was doing it for us.
    So one year I got a Doe, instead of a Buck, so when the Farmer put my Doe Hind Quarters in the smokehouse, his Son's Buck's Hind Quarters were already in the smokehouse for 2 weeks. Then when he pulled his Son's out of the smokehouse, he pulled mine too (Two weeks too early!!). I took it home & started slicing it, but I realized it was not done inside----Much of it was still raw.
    So not wanting to throw it away, I tried Frying some, and it was the saltiest thing I ever tasted, because when I fried it, it cooked the moisture out, but the salt stayed in the fried meat.
    So I gave it to my BIL's Springer. He loved it nearly raw!!

Well anyway, that's not exactly the same, but I think that's similar to what would happen if you turn Ham into Jerky.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I have eaten ham jerky before...John is right...It will be salty...Adjust your marinade to be salt free and it may turn out great...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

wonder if you could slice it and then soak it in water for a while to draw out the salt, then dehydrate/smoke it?
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Just skip all that and use pork loin to make jerky...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              Been doin that weekly for awhile, was just slicing ham for sammies on my slicer and wondered if it would make good jerky, I'm not much of a salt guy so guess I'll pass.
              Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
              Weber 22.5" WSM
              Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
              Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
              Weber Smokey Joe
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              The Vortex

Comment

Been doin that weekly for awhile, was just slicing ham for sammies on my slicer and wondered if it would make good jerky, I'm not much of a salt guy so guess I'll pass.

Be interesting to add a couple little slices of Ham next time you do a batch of Pork Loin Jerky to see what happens.
                Then get back to us with your findings.

Bear
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                  Be interesting to add a couple little slices of Ham next time you do a batch of Pork Loin Jerky to see what happens.
                  Then get back to us with your findings.

Bear
                  That is an excellent idea. Git after it Doug.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I like a good challenge, think I should season it with the other also ??
                    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                    Weber 22.5" WSM
                    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                    Weber 18.5" Kettle
                    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    Pit Barrel Cooker
                    The Vortex

Comment

I like a good challenge, think I should season it with the other also ??

Maybe a small piece or two with nothing done to it.

And a small piece or two with the same thing you do with the Pork Loin Jerky.

Bear

Comment

Cool...I'll be waiting for the results...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

I make ham jerky all the time and it turns out great, not overly salty at all. I slice my ham to @1/4-1/6" thick and then into strips. Marinate overnight in equal parts molasses, teriyaki (I use Yoshida's),honey, maple syrup and very hot water. A 10# boneless ham will need around 3/4 cup of each. I add cure 1 at a rate of 1 t per 5 lbs of meat, grated fresh ginger, white and cayenne pepper to taste. Sometimes I smoke it for a couple hours before moving to the dehydrator but this last batch I just did I skipped the smoker and just added a tsp of liquid smoke to the marinade and it was fine. Dehydrate at 160F until desired texture is reached, that was about 4.5 hrs last Saturday. I usually use Kretschmar Bavarian ham when I make this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pics of last weekend's batch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ham IS jerky..kinda. but...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...89722#poststop
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X