What do you guys think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think...

About this reverse flow cooker? I have been in the market to replace my old standard offset smoker....It's a little too small and it is in need of several repairs. I have actually never cooked on a reverse flow, but I think I have heard enough good things about the way they cook, so I'm ready to convert. I know every cooker will take some getting used too and I'm not worried about that.
    I don't currently do competitions, but the thought has crossed my mind and I think something like this cooker would be a good one to get into it with. It is about a 3 or so hour drive from me and he said he has them in stock, so I suppose he makes and sells several of them.

So what do you guys think?
    http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/for/5222655401.html
    Arron W.

YS 640
    Primo Oval XL
    Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
    Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
    Weber Copper Top
    Old Smokey
    Orion
    Gasser
    2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
    24" Disco with custom burner
    Red Thermapen
    2-Maverick ET-733
    Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
    sigpic

It is pretty... guess if you need something that big... Yoder not worken for ya, or is it too small??
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

price seem's fair...we bought a 20' trailer in san antonio to move some airplane stuff...dude said 1300 bux & 80 more for a spare tire...deal, cash! so crack dat dude's brain with a cash offer...
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
        It is pretty... guess if you need something that big... Yoder not worken for ya, or is it too small??
        I love my Yoder pellet pooper. I just like to have my options. Sometimes I get in the mood to play with fire in a stick burner. Plus, If I decide to start doing comps. I probably wont be able to use the pellet cooker.
        Arron W.

YS 640
        Primo Oval XL
        Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
        Weber Copper Top
        Old Smokey
        Orion
        Gasser
        Red Thermapen
        2-Maverick ET-733
        Orange Thermoworks Smoke

sigpic

Comment

Looks really nice. New Braunfels is the location...not the manufacturer...maybe a HBT smoker? http://www.hbtsmokers.com/weekender.html
          Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 10-18-2015, 08:39 PM.
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Nice looking setup. A few years back 2 other companies from Texas were selling pits made from Diamond plate steel. I wish I could remember their names. No matter, they are no longer in business. People that bought them complained that the fireboxes and cooking chambers didn't hold heat good. They looked great but didn't perform all that good. It was said that the added surface area of the metal allowed the metal to cool off quicker, use more fuel, and were hard to maintain steady temps. They said the rain really played heck with the heat retention and if setting in the sun temp spikes were the norm. I know one fellow sold his and bought a Gator pit, another bought a Lang, and the guy I knew real well( he's dead now) ended up building a pit. I don't know if the part about the metal was a real factor or not. Maybe someone with more knowledge about Diamond plate metal could shed some light on this. I just remember it being talked about on another forum a few years back.

That is not a New Braunfels smoker. New Braunfels smokers are small, cheaper made smoker sold at places like HD.
            The company making these is just from New Braunfels, TX
            Last edited by BYBBQ; 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM.
            Jim

Comment

Nice looking pit.
              It seems to have a way larger firebox - to - cooking chamber opening than the pit calculators suggest. I don't know how that might affect fuel consumption, heat transfer, retention, and etc.

I like the pit, it is a nice size, easy to access.
              If he doesn't have customers who have bought that same design, that I could talk to, I think I'd ask him if I could bring some firewood to fire it up and check out the temp distribution. I'd take along three cheap oven thermometers I could place strategically on the racks.
              If he is an individual trying to build up a clientele, he should be amenable.

Comment

Originally posted by zeroghd View Post
                Sometimes I get in the mood to play with fire in a stick burner.
                Exactly. Over the winter months I intend on doing some research regarding buying one that'll work for me as well.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

looks good - nice price too
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

So I decided against this particular one. I was up in the air between a standard offset and a reverse flow, since I have never used reverse flow, I ended up going with an 8 month old Lone Star Grillz 24"x48" offset with a vertical smoke chamber from a guy on craigslist. He had alledgedly only used it maybe 10 times. It was in excellent shape, just a little gunked up on the inside (he used the smoke chamber to cook a bunch of burgers). This thing is a beast. Got it home and had to do a thorough cleaning and ended up pressure washing it. I got it re-seasoned and tuning plates installed. I've used it a couple times now and really like it. It's big, but its built like a tank and is the tightest cooker I have ever been around. The only smoke leaving this pit is out the stack. My wife asked me if I was done buying cookers for a while. I had to appease her and tell her yes. This is the 3rd cooker I've bought this year. I got my Yoder YS-640 and my Primo oval XL earlier this year. I got all the bases covered for now, but still have plans for a UDS and maybe more in the future. Thanks guys for the replies.
                    Arron W.

YS 640
                    Primo Oval XL
                    Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
                    Weber Copper Top
                    Old Smokey
                    Orion
                    Gasser
                    Red Thermapen
                    2-Maverick ET-733
                    Orange Thermoworks Smoke

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X