Gateway Drum smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Drum smokers

I have built 10 drums and have been using a drum for the past 5 years. This past weekend was the first time I have seen a Gateway Drum. Looks very similar to the ones i build except for one thing the inner liner.

Does anyone have a Gateway drum and if so could you explain the reason behind the inner liner and could you take some pics of it for me? I would like to try to duplicate it in my drums.

Thanks

Jared
    sigpic

Don't them but, if it has an inner liner with a air gap that would make for great insulation when windy/cold out side
    I'm no Gynecologist
    But I'll take a look at it

Comment

I think that liner protects that paint job

Comment

That could be. i wonder how the draft gets to your coals seems like that liner would be Blocking it. But i could be wrong.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderDome View Post
          I think that liner protects that paint job
          I judged at a benefit cook off this weekend and one of the teams had a Gateway. They must have gotten the fire REAL hot because the pretty blue paint was brown. It wasn't peeling off the barrel. It was just really discolored. I did like the way it was built. They placed in every category, so they did something right.
          Arron W.

YS 640
          Primo Oval XL
          Lone Star Grillz 30x36 cabinet smoker
          Not so Ugly Drum Smoker
          Weber Copper Top
          Old Smokey
          Orion
          Gasser
          2 Sack Crawfish Boiler by R&V Works
          24" Disco with custom burner
          Red Thermapen
          2-Maverick ET-733
          Orange Thermoworks Smoke

R.I.P my little buddy Zazu. 10/4/2020. We miss you.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MN Drum Smoker View Post
            I have built 10 drums and have been using a drum for the past 5 years. This past weekend was the first time I have seen a Gateway Drum. Looks very similar to the ones i build except for one thing the inner liner.

Does anyone have a Gateway drum and if so could you explain the reason behind the inner liner and could you take some pics of it for me? I would like to try to duplicate it in my drums.

Thanks

Jared
            I would say that there is 2 differences......The $800 price tag for the gateway! Thats crazy! I don't know anything about the gateway drums so maybe I'm missing something about them, but they can't be that much different from the home built UDS. Theres only so many things you can do to build a smoker out of a drum. I would be willing to bet that any one of your 10 UDS's you have built would perform just as good as the gateway. Just saying.
            By inner liner do you mean that it is double walled? if so the only thing that I could see the inner liner doing is stopping any convection heat loss associated with windy or cold outside temperatures. I have used my UDS in temps as low as -36C with no issues. Just had to open up the air intakes a bit more to counter act the heat loss because of the cold temperatues.
            Last edited by bstomper; 05-29-2016, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X