Tough day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough day

I write this cause I'm absolutely puzzled by the results. I just need to get it off my chest. There was a comp today sanctioned by the Midwest BBQ association. It's a minor league compared to the KCBS. It also included backyard cooks. I packed several types of sausage to grill which I guess was the bright spot of the day. I've got a lot of orders to fill and they're willing to drive 2.5 hours for it. So that's a bright spot. Now I'll be the first to say if I got a bad product and I did. I cooked 6 racks of baby backs. 4 were overcooked but I didn't turn those in. I used my Weber collection, which I did get made fun of for using, turns out the one was a judge. The 2 racks that I took 6 bones off were just about perfect, could've used maybe 10 minutes more of cooking. Here's a pic of some I didn't turn in.

I got last, dead last I don't know why. These we some of the best tasting ribs I've made. Even better than the ones I've got awards for. I became friends with 2 teams. The one had a rib and said "Omg were screwed those are amazing". Swapped a rib with the team next door. Took a bite it was good for a second until the salt kicked in. Even my wife who loves salt said they were way to salty and they got third. Just really frustrating, but I might've got a few people hooked on the mad hunky, they loved the smell of the poultry brine and the frog legs that I coated with the hot whang. I guess I just got to kepp getting out there no matter the result. The only explanation is my sister in law dated three of the six judges, so I blame if on her
    sigpic

Gotta be the day you blame it on the wind. You can't see the wind. Maybe the judges, who knows? You make great BBQ just wasn't your day. Or your SIL must not... nm.

Contests, when it's subjective you just have to go with the flow. It suckzzz.

It's about the fun and adventure. Winning matters most, but the experience that I have never got to do must be amazing. Was the weather nice? Did the tent top go up well? How was the experience? You'll be top notch soon and working 110 hrs a week running your own BBQ joint.

I would love to eat what you cooked.

Comment

Must be the salt thing?

I don't personally like a lot of salt taste and rarely add it after cooking, but seems like most of my family n friends do. Have tried some of the big name rubs and they were pretty salty to me. Maybe jack up your salt level a bit?
      sigpic

Comment

Ok here is the deal, and plenty are going to hate me for saying it, BBQ comps are BULLSHIT!!!!.

1. Food is fellowship, and should be used to bring people together not seperate and judge them
        2. Most comps and ESPECIALLY KCBS comps are too big and not every judge tastes every product so its not a true competition.
        3. You are asking people to judge based on a specific taste. If not every judge is going to taste everything then the only fair thing is to be able have judges decide on their tastes. That way maybe something gets awarded not the same old same old.

RANT OFF!

Comment

Ya know... it always worried me a bit when I really liked a turn in. Seems that was just early warning of a fail with judges. And it sucks sitting there..especially when they call out 10 places and they get to 4 or so and ya heard nothing. Sure, we'd had 3's2's and 1's, but usually...ugh.

It has to be about the fun and folks. Unless yer doing it full bore, working on stuff all thru the week and competing most every weekend.

And guess what? Even then yer still at the judges' mercy/tastes.

I DO appreciate you trusting my products with your entries too.

Dumbassed judges anyway
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

They sure look good to me.!! and I bet they were good.
            sigpic
            GMG Daniel Boone
            UDS
            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
            Vision Kamado grill
            Weber Genesis Silver
            Smokin Tex
            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
            Maverick ET 732
            Brown and lime green ThermaPens
            2 orange ThermoPops
            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
            Vortex

Comment

Sorry Bud, some days are just like that. Best ribs I ever turned in got me a 19 out of 30, questionable pork turn in got me a 2nd Same comp.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

F the F'ing F's,,,
                the F's...

you know better,,, carry on...
                ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

I gotta Agree with the G-Man!!!

I'm betting your Ribs were Fantastic, Ryan!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Not a bad day at all when you got that many ribs to take home and enjoy...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Is this the comp that you were in yesterday?
                      http://mwbabbq.com/events/strangs-bbq-throwdown
                      sigpic
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      New Braunfels Hondo
                      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                      1-26" Weber Kettle
                      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        Is this the comp that you were in yesterday?
                        http://mwbabbq.com/events/strangs-bbq-throwdown
                        Yes it was.

It turns out that only 3 out 6 judges were certified judges. It showed, 3 of them gave me good scores while the other 3 were low. Same with the catfish (mystery meat) 2 judges scored me 9's for tenderness yet one scored me a 6.

Another bright spot is overall I finished 9 out of 13. 3 teams didn't compete in the mystery meat

I'm finding out doing these comps that the ribs I'm proud of I don't get a call. The ribs that I haven't been satisfied with I've got the call

One thing that hurt me is I don't garnish. I don't believe in it but I guess if I keep doing these MWBA cooks, I better start.

I've thought about joining this association but now I'm not sure. For a sanctioned event they should be getting 6 certified judges. The 2 others I've done with this group I've placed 3 both times with certified judges.

Oh well, met some real nice people and now to get ready for the next one. Hopefully Saturday if I can talk the wife into it.
                        sigpic

Comment

How was the catfish?
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'll say that the prior response is much "milder" than your initial post. Point being there was only a $35.00 entry fee and they provided the meat. Some comp teams pay 10X that amount plus fuel + the cost of meat for a comp so I think you got a pretty good deal and to be honest with you, you could have gotten 6 good ribs out of 2 racks, but that's just me. Practice makes perfect and I wish there was an organization like that out here in Cali. Bottom line is it was a rib burn(not a sanctioned event)and I wouldn't expect 100% CBJ at that kind of a comp. I'd go ahead and join the Association and see where it goes. At least give the group some slack.
                            Give em hell at the next one and don't take this comp thing so seriously
                            sigpic
                            New Braunfels Bandera
                            New Braunfels Hondo
                            4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                            1-26" Weber Kettle
                            24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                            Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Rich it was pretty good, I went with the 50/50 mix. Great flavor I'll be doing that one again. I also did the frog legs that way. People really liked those. After I gave some sausage out to the team next to me, every time I took something off the Weber they were right over I think they are over half of my food! That's the best part of comps. And BTW I had the MH apron on all day and had your products on display. They really loved the smell of the poultry brine.

Mikey thanks for the comments. Yes I do get a bit OK alot competitive in these things. Yes I was harsh last night, beer had a bit to do with it, and I just take my cooking a bit to serious and then have thin skin when it comes to results. That's probably the biggest thing I need to work on. I've got a great product it just wasn't meant to be. Had a feeling when we got to the flea bag motel Friday night when they charged us $90 a night and we then had to change rooms cause our door hinge broke off kinda knew it could be a disappointing weekend.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X