Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carbon build up...stuff gets under it & loosens
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Are you sure Lena didn't waffle you too hard with it & knocked the seasoning out of it???

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I've had that happen, especially if I don't get to cleaning it right away and stuff gets dried on pretty good. Tends to pull the seasoning with it when it goes. I don't worry about it too much, unless it's big spots. It tends to re-season as I cook. With the amount you have however I would probably do a quick seasoning in the oven.
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...I'm not thinking too hot on the grill is the reason...Since it is most always used on the grill with the CI grates and they are fine I think the pan should be too...

I do think the idea of the seasoning building up too thick may be my problem...

Thought that continued cooking would correct the issue but each time I use it more flakes away...And it seems kinda thick to me...

I have used other pans over the Vortex... I know what a pan with all the good stuff cooked away looks like...Had to re-season two of them cause of that...That's not the case here...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

I had that problem with mine recently. Seasoning just slowly started coming off in small flakes.

Take a good stiff nylon brush to it and get all the loose stuff off. Cook some greasy foods a couple times and wipe it out but leave a bit of the oil behind. Put it in the oven at 500 for an hour and leave it to cool. It should polymerize whats on it and then you can start the re seasoning process like it was new.
            Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              Thanks for the input guys...I'm not thinking too hot on the grill is the reason...Since it is most always used on the grill with the CI grates and they are fine I think the pan should be too...

I do think the idea of the seasoning building up too thick may be my problem...

Thought that continued cooking would correct the issue but each time I use it more flakes away...And it seems kinda thick to me...

I have used other pans over the Vortex... I know what a pan with all the good stuff cooked away looks like...Had to re-season two of them cause of that...That's not the case here...
              my vortex ci pan... work it to death...no seasoning in it...Louie... don't bring that in here...wash it under the hose...
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Jailer View Post
                I had that problem with mine recently. Seasoning just slowly started coming off in small flakes.

Take a good stiff nylon brush to it and get all the loose stuff off. Cook some greasy foods a couple times and wipe it out but leave a bit of the oil behind. Put it in the oven at 500 for an hour and leave it to cool. It should polymerize whats on it and then you can start the re seasoning process like it was new.
                I think when I get the chance I will take a wire brush on the drill and seriously clean off anything that will come loose and then reseason with the flax seed oil...

I used it to night on the grill and it preformed perfectly...Just bothers me to see it in such a state...

When I wiped it tonight, the roughness of the "seasoning" was shredding the paper towel...Not good...Gonna strip it and start over...
                Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 02-15-2017, 09:27 PM.
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

One trick is to spray it good with oven cleaner and wrap it tightly in a plastic . Leave it over night and then scrub and season the next day.
                  Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

Working...
                  X