No announcement yet.

New guy from ny with some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely thinking of going reverse flow with a heat plate! sounds like the way to run. Any good ideas for managing temperatures on long hour smokes with a stick burner? Not looking to get out of watching the smoker, maybe just for a little more sleep during the overnight smokes!!

Comment

Welcome aboard Gmantdog. Nothing wrong with being from N.Y. it's not like you are from Washington State. Best of luck is all I can offer you on your build as I am pretty mechanically inept. I look forward to your contributions to S-M.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
        Welcome aboard Gmantdog. Nothing wrong with being from N.Y. it's not like you are from Washington State. Best of luck is all I can offer you on your build as I am pretty mechanically inept. I look forward to your contributions to S-M.

Ouch!!! Hehe..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by gmantdog View Post
          This site is awesome, quick answers! We're doing an overnight pork butt smoke on saturday with my first homemade rub. I'll try and do up some pics.
          Care to give us a glimpse of the ingredients? Not to steal yer rub...but there's quite a few pros here who may be able to give some advice on the ratios/ingredients if you'd like.

Welcome to Smoked-Meat!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

1/2 cup of the following paprika, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder. 6 tbsp onion powder. 1/4 cup of chili powder. 1 tbsp black pepper. 1 tsp of ground cumin. 1 tsp cayenne pepper. 1 tsp of cinnamon. And of course I tasted it and decided to jack the sugar content a little. I also inject the butt with a mixture of apple juice, worchestire, brown sugar and liquid smoke. Sounds busy, but tastes awesome. Please feel free to comment!

Comment

1/2 cup of the following paprika, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder. 6 tbsp onion powder. 1/4 cup of chili powder. 1 tbsp black pepper. 1 tsp of ground cumin. 1 tsp cayenne pepper. 1 tsp of cinnamon. And of course I tasted it and decided to jack the sugar content a little. I also inject the butt with a mixture of apple juice, worchestire, brown sugar and liquid smoke. Sounds busy, but tastes awesome. Please feel free to comment!
              Prolly little heavy on the garlic...but hell.. hard to have too much I suppose...

Pepper... I'd bring it up personally... 3 Tbsp in a 4 cup mix is not outta line.

Consider some ground mustard.

And where's the celery? And another aromatic er two...thyme, rosemary, sage.... just a thought.

Something to play with.... enjoy... it's all about the flavor!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

welcome aboard, glad you dropped in

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Prolly little heavy on the garlic...but hell.. hard to have too much I suppose...
                rich,
                never to much garlic i would bump up the garlic and onion powders to 2 TBSP's in the above rub add some allspice and get rid of the liquid smoke...

good luck
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

You're gonna like it here.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Thanks, I was thinking of jacking the pepper. Never thought about the others, I will have to experiment. You're definitely talking to a newbie!

Comment

Here is the link to the sauces and rubs section, more ideas there than a man can use in a month of sundays

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23

and those two five star sticky's at the top is a great place to start
                      Last edited by crusty ol salt; 02-25-2012, 03:25 PM.
                      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Welcome aboard newbie! Looking forward to seeing the results from that overnighter on Saturday.
                        sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Welcome Dog!!!!

You'll love it here---Lots of helpful members!!

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                            Weber 22.5" WSM
                            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            Pit Barrel Cooker
                            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                            The Vortex

Comment

Its time to go bigger and i want to build.
                              Yep! You gonna like this place gman. Lotsa bodacious builds by lotsa bodacious builders around here!!!
                              Rudy

sigpic
                              GOSM Big Block
                              SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                              22.5" Weber Kettle
                              Smokey Joe for the RV
                              Assorted Digital Thermos
                              and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Working...
                              X