No announcement yet.

First go at sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all. Y'all deserve a thumbs up for the assist as the knowledge shared here definitely helped.

Kinda funny how I had a small shop I did metal fabrication in but recently closed it up. Now my shop is the kitchen,
    Welding table- counter top
    Saws- knives
    Steel- meat
    Grinder- meat grinder/ meat slicer
    Welding smoke- wood smoke

A few questions:

I had a few blowouts when I was twisting. I just squeezed out the sausage and ran it through the stuffer again figuring the extra practice wouldn't hurt. I left one end of the casing untied and started at the opposite end when I did the twisting figuring any excess sausage would go that direction. Sounds like the natural casings link better or is there any method to leave some room as I go to allow for the sausage displaced by the twisting?

Benefit of stainless stuffing tubes over plastic?

I want to make summer sausage next and the fibrous casings are a good bit bigger than the largest stuffing tube that came with the stuffer. Can I make it work or should I be looking for a larger stuffing tube?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very Nice looking Sausage, S & P !!---

Hard to believe it's your first !!!

Nice Job!

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by strength_and_power View Post
        Thanks all. Y'all deserve a thumbs up for the assist as the knowledge shared here definitely helped.

Kinda funny how I had a small shop I did metal fabrication in but recently closed it up. Now my shop is the kitchen,
        Welding table- counter top
        Saws- knives
        Steel- meat
        Grinder- meat grinder/ meat slicer
        Welding smoke- wood smoke

I can relate ......both of them are fun.

A few questions:

I had a few blowouts when I was twisting. I just squeezed out the sausage and ran it through the stuffer again figuring the extra practice wouldn't hurt. I left one end of the casing untied and started at the opposite end when I did the twisting figuring any excess sausage would go that direction. Sounds like the natural casings link better or is there any method to leave some room as I go to allow for the sausage displaced by the twisting?
        A little of both, They are more forgiving. but can be less uniform. Yours look great.

Benefit of stainless stuffing tubes over plastic?
        Personal preference. I like them both and use both.

I want to make summer sausage next and the fibrous casings are a good bit bigger than the largest stuffing tube that came with the stuffer. Can I make it work or should I be looking for a larger stuffing tube?

What kind of stuffer do you have and what is the largest size you have?

You need to make sure you get all the air out of the casing.
        Thanks again
        Have to share some points for your first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

/\ /\ What Nick said.

Personally, I don't care for Collagen casings for links/linking, but like them for long runs for stix, and prefer Sheep casings butt kinda a PITA to thread onto the stuffer tube. That said, I have not tried the pre-threaded Sheep casings, which are apparently a lot easier to work with

NICE JOB!
          sigpic

Comment

Nothin but envy here...Nice job...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

You shouldn't need to worry about the size of your tube when doing ss I just hold the end of the casing a little tighter and crank a little slower filling the whole casing. Your brats looked awesome but I would go with natural casings next time .I think their much easier .Either way though Ill bet they were good.
              2-22.5'' weber
              1-18'' weber
              1 smokey joe
              22.5'' wsm
              24'' smoke vault
              1-outhouse
              Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
              Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Great job S&P, you nailed it.

I have gone away from using collagen casings. Now just natural sheep or hog casings for me. I think they are easier to work with and I prefer the end product much more with natural casings.

Comment

Working...
                X