Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you kept smoked cheese...vacuum packed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long have you kept smoked cheese...vacuum packed?

Hi folks!

I am smoking up another ton of cheese now that we have cooler temps. Tonight will be smoked sharp cheddar 10 lbs!!!

I just finished up another brisket and it is holding in the cooler wrapped like a baby in swaddling clothes ! The yoder is all cooled down to 60 degrees after the brisket and the cheddar will be smoked with an Amazn tube with BBQr's delite apple pellets.

My QUESTION:

While "digging" through the cheese stash in the refrigerator I came across a batch of hickory smoked cheddar that is from March 2015. It still has a great seal with no air or mold evident on the cheese.

Is it March 2015 SAFE to eat now? This would be "epic" cure for me as the cheese usually is within a month...usually within 3 weeks (my fav for curing).

Thanks a ton!

Mike :)
    Last edited by AnglerMike; 11-01-2015, 06:32 PM.
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis Gasser
    Ugly Black Box (Great Outdoors Smokey Mt)

Enjoy with gusto! And crackers and beer.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Enjoy with gusto! And crackers and beer.
      Goin' for it Richtee!!!! Will have some of it with the brisket I just smoked up!!!
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

I have some over a year old. I have seen people with over 2 year old cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by AnglerMike View Post
          Hi folks!

I am smoking up another ton of cheese now that we have cooler temps. Tonight will be smoked sharp cheddar 10 lbs!!!

I just finished up another brisket and it is holding in the cooler wrapped like a baby in swaddling clothes ! The yoder is all cooled down to 60 degrees after the brisket and the cheddar will be smoked with an Amazn tube with BBQr's delite apple pellets.

My QUESTION:

While "digging" through the cheese stash in the refrigerator I came across a batch of hickory smoked cheddar that is from March 2015. It still has a great seal with no air or mold evident on the cheese.

Is it March 2015 SAFE to eat now? This would be "epic" cure for me as the cheese usually is within a month...usually within 3 weeks (my fav for curing).

Thanks a ton!

Mike :)
          I have some in fridge since 2013 waiting I have a friend that does it and has had some for up to 12yrs aged,,, As long as no air gets to it you are good to go.

DS
          Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
          1930 Fridge Build
          MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
          Therma Pen
          Maverick 732
          Mini Therma Pen
          Frog Mats
          Weber Junior
          AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

I am with the other guys. March 2015 should be no problem if it looks good. I had a 1/2 pound block of cheap mild cheddar that I smoked for 2 hours then vacuum sealed that accidentally did not get rotated and was 15 months old when we ate it.

HK91

Comment

NO!! Don't eat it! Send it to my house for proper disposal!!

Should be good...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Heck, finding cheese like that is kind of like putting on your coat from last year and finding mystery money in the pocket! It really makes a guy's day!!

Enjoy that cheese.
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
                  Heck, finding cheese like that is kind of like putting on your coat from last year and finding mystery money in the pocket! It really makes a guy's day!!

Enjoy that cheese.
                  Hehehe... I took out my Varsity jacket a few years ago and found....
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

HEHEHEH!!!! The cheese was OUTSTANDING by the way!!!
                    Yoder YS640
                    Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Hehehe... I took out my Varsity jacket a few years ago and found....
                      I hope it wasn't used...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Uhhh.....perhaps it was something that was "smoked".....

LOL......

Mike ;)
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Working...
                        X