Smoking time guidelines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
    I get so tired of seeing this mantra bleated over and over.

Of course it's about the temperature ultimately, but don't you think that it would be good for newcomers to at least have a ball park to work with?
    Well..tired or not- it's the truth.

OK... let's make some concerted effort for some ballparks. Then I can get rid of this thread and post a table

Tas' 16 hour butt ain't helping...
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      OK... let's make some concerted effort for some ballparks. Then I can get rid of this thread and post a table
      Post some general times, Rich. That's what I was looking for was to give the new guys a day planner, not an exact timetable. I learned the hard way as Im sure most of y'all did on allotting enough time, butt I think the new Qers like this site for reasons like this - providing a friendly informative place to learn. And we all need to new people into our Qing hobby and this site by giving them the info to make it that much easier for them to enjoy it.

Case in point, I smoked some Chicken thighs & Breasteses this weekend, started the breasteses 1 hr early, and the thighs were still done almost 1 hr b4 the breasteses. But they were Really Big Breasteses
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Chicken:

Parts:
        Breasts:
        Whole:

Pork:

Ribs, spare:
        Ribs, back:
        Shoulder, whole:
        Shoulder, "butt":
        Loin:
        T-loin:

Beef:

Brisket:
        Chuck:
        Ribs:

Ground meat:

Stuffed fatties:
        Burgers:
        Sausage:

A start. See the wide variances here? Start filling in the blanks. folks...
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Try to chart this...

Last weekend...two chuckies bout 3 pounds each...Figure on 4.5 to 6 hours...After 9 hours of fighting the 30 mph winds the temp on both was still below 160....Frustrated I foiled and stuck em in the oven and turned my attention to grilling some burgers...Temps on the chucks rocketed to 200 before the burgers were done...

I always figure its gonna take a long time and then figure it will take a lot longer...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
            Post some general times, Rich. That's what I was looking for was to give the new guys a day planner, not an exact timetable. I learned the hard way as Im sure most of y'all did on allotting enough time, butt I think the new Qers like this site for reasons like this - providing a friendly informative place to learn. And we all need to new people into our Qing hobby and this site by giving them the info to make it that much easier for them to enjoy it.

Case in point, I smoked some Chicken thighs & Breasteses this weekend, started the breasteses 1 hr early, and the thighs were still done almost 1 hr b4 the breasteses. But they were Really Big Breasteses
            I happen to agree with you. I know its possible to put in some general times....not something pinned down to exact ones. A possible for-instance: For pork ribs, if you are running in the 250-350 range on your smoker, it will take between X & Y hours, but the temp should be XXX F (if you want to probe them). Also, doing a 3-2-1 method, your time might be reduced.

That's purely an example, so don't beat me up on the method remark, as it may increase the time.....I don't know. Just an example and qualifying remarks would be expected.
            Arizona Deano
            "Illegitimas Non-Carborundum!"

"Life is tough. Its tougher when you're stupid."
            John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              Try to chart this...

Last weekend...two chuckies bout 3 pounds each...Figure on 4.5 to 6 hours...After 9 hours of fighting the 30 mph winds the temp on both was still below 160....Frustrated I foiled and stuck em in the oven and turned my attention to grilling some burgers...Temps on the chucks rocketed to 200 before the burgers were done...

I always figure its gonna take a long time and then figure it will take a lot longer...
              I don't think that's what Mike's envisioning. "Under normal conditions" is a reasonable qualification when putting some time ranges on smoking something. I could come up with an example of smoking a brisket that took 3 weeks to finish, since a hurricane rolled through in the middle of it.

Of course experience is a great factor in learning smoking times, but it is a tool that newbies are extremely short of, as I can attest to since I am an "experienced newbie". With a little effort from all forum members, I believe a set of "normal conditions" time ranges could be developed....personally my opinion.
              Arizona Deano

John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                Ken, great idea for a forum.
                I've got a suggestion for some of our more experienced smokers to post that can help guys like me in a pinch - Basic smoking timetables. There has been so many times that Im trying to plan how long I need to allow for smoking. and the food wasnt done in time or WAY too early. It would be a GREAT sticky.

I know that it isnt an exact science and cooking + stall times vary, butt knowing you need to allow X number of hours/lb for a brisket, or a Pork butt, and Y number of hours for tri tips, Chuckies, CSR,s, Chicken whole & parts, even unusual cuts would be Incredibly helpful, especially to the new members here. It would be a great "go to" reference for a lot of us. Other than the 3-2-1 method for ribs, Im usually struggling with how soon to start smoking w/o having it done 2-3 hours before or after the crew arrives.

Mike,
                You can always go to any of my posts.
                Then scroll down to my Signature.
                If any of the meats you're going to smoke are in my Signature, click on it.
                They all have the size of the meat, the temp I used, and the time it took to get it to a particular IT.

That would give you a good "Ballpark" figure.

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

i am sticking to my 1.25 hours per pound for planning. and my thermometer to tell me when it is done
                  Last edited by crusty ol salt; 05-30-2013, 04:12 PM.
                  Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Not sure why everyone has to make this so hard... what I was thinking is a very very general guideline for the total newb that's spent all his life grilling hamburgers and then picks up a rack of ribs and thinks it's going to be done in like 2 hours on the grill. I'm pretty sure that's what Mike was going for too... but whatever

Guess they can always post a question and wait for an answer or dig through 100s of posts to find what they need. No biggie, that's how we all got started.
                    Mike
                    Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                      Not sure why everyone has to make this so hard... what I was thinking is a very very general guideline for the total newb that's spent all his life grilling hamburgers and then picks up a rack of ribs and thinks it's going to be done in like 2 hours on the grill.
                      Well . . . if it's really that easy and we're all just over complicating it, then fill in Rich's table and call it good. The fact that you haven't seems to indicate that you sense the complexity of it all.

I guess you could get really general and say, well at about 250ish ribs will take 5 or 6 hours, fatties an hour or two, butts will take 8 to 10 hours and briskets will take 10 to 16.

Except for the fact that butts come in different sizes and people will post that they are smoking "a brisket" but it could be a 14 pound packer or a 5 pound flat.

Dave
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Here . . .

I "lifted" this from another web site. Formatting went to hell. If someone wants to tidy it up be my guest. This is where I got my starting info.

And I do see the point . . . it does help the total newb who has no idea whatsoever. Like I was back in 2008.

Type of Meat Smoking Temp Time to Complete Finished Temp
                        Brisket (Sliced) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 190°
                        Brisket (Pulled) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 200°
                        Beef Ribs 225°F 3-4 hrs 175°
                        Pork Butt (Sliced) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 180°
                        Pork Butt (Pulled) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 205°
                        Whole Chicken 250°F 4 hrs 165°
                        Chicken Thighs 250°F 1.5 hrs 165°
                        Chicken Quarters 250°F 3 hrs 165°
                        Whole Turkey 12# 240°F 6.5 hrs 165°
                        Turkey Leg 250°F 4 hrs 165°
                        Turkey Wings 225°F 2.5 hrs 165°
                        Turkey Breast – bone in 240°F 4-6 hrs 165°
                        Boudin 230°F 2.5 hrs 160°
                        Breakfast Sausage 230°F 3 hrs 160°
                        Fatties 225°F 3 hrs 165°
                        Meat Loaf 250 -300°F 3 hrs 160°
                        Meatballs (2 inch) 225°F 1 hr 160°
                        Spare Ribs 225-240°F 6-7 hrs Tender*
                        Baby Back Ribs 225-240°F 5-6 hrs Tender*
                        Salmon 140-160°F 5-7 hrs 145°
                        Smoked Corn 225°F 1.5 – 2 hrs N/A
                        Smoked Potatoes 225°F 2 – 2.5 hrs N/A
                        Note: Be sure to use temperature to tell you when the meat is done.. time is just an estimate and is NOT an indicator of doneness.
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Great list DDave---Thanks for bringing it!!

I find it pretty close, and should help Newbies a lot !!!

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Hmmmm! Another website was willing to do it, huh? Interesting!!!
                            Arizona Deano

John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              Great list DDave---Thanks for bringing it!!
                              You are most welcome.

Originally posted by smokerdean View Post
                              Hmmmm! Another website was willing to do it, huh? Interesting!!!
                              No use reinventing the wheel.

Dave
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                                Here . . .

I "lifted" this from another web site. Formatting went to hell. If someone wants to tidy it up be my guest. This is where I got my starting info.

And I do see the point . . . it does help the total newb who has no idea whatsoever. Like I was back in 2008.

Type of Meat Smoking Temp Time to Complete Finished Temp
                                Brisket (Sliced) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 190°
                                Brisket (Pulled) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 200°
                                Beef Ribs 225°F 3-4 hrs 175°
                                Pork Butt (Sliced) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 180°
                                Pork Butt (Pulled) 225°F 1.5 hrs/pound 205°
                                Whole Chicken 250°F 4 hrs 165°
                                Chicken Thighs 250°F 1.5 hrs 165°
                                Chicken Quarters 250°F 3 hrs 165°
                                Whole Turkey 12# 240°F 6.5 hrs 165°
                                Turkey Leg 250°F 4 hrs 165°
                                Turkey Wings 225°F 2.5 hrs 165°
                                Turkey Breast – bone in 240°F 4-6 hrs 165°
                                Boudin 230°F 2.5 hrs 160°
                                Breakfast Sausage 230°F 3 hrs 160°
                                Fatties 225°F 3 hrs 165°
                                Meat Loaf 250 -300°F 3 hrs 160°
                                Meatballs (2 inch) 225°F 1 hr 160°
                                Spare Ribs 225-240°F 6-7 hrs Tender*
                                Baby Back Ribs 225-240°F 5-6 hrs Tender*
                                Salmon 140-160°F 5-7 hrs 145°
                                Smoked Corn 225°F 1.5 – 2 hrs N/A
                                Smoked Potatoes 225°F 2 – 2.5 hrs N/A
                                Note: Be sure to use temperature to tell you when the meat is done.. time is just an estimate and is NOT an indicator of doneness.

Thanks Dave,
                                Thats exactly what I had in mind. Even more detail than I expected too. Smoked potatoes, corn & meatballs? great time planning reference.

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                                Mike,
                                You can always go to any of my posts.
                                Then scroll down to my Signature.
                                If any of the meats you're going to smoke are in my Signature, click on it.
                                They all have the size of the meat, the temp I used, and the time it took to get it to a particular IT.

That would give you a good "Ballpark" figure.

Bear
                                John,
                                I've referred to your threads many times and enjoyed reading them. Thanks for posting the links too - very helpful. I've still GOT to do the prime rib roast.
                                Mike
                                Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                                POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                                Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Working...
                                X