Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoker went out... temp issue

Hey everyone,

So I'm new at this, and of course my old lady needed me to take her somewhere during my first smoke. Started at 8am at 236F... came back at noon(ish) and everything was good. Then I got stuck at her Dad's house because the house next door caught fire... not allowing me to get back until 3ish...great luck on my first smoke, eh?!

When I got back at 3, my flame was out. I checked the internal temp in the center, not the .5inch rule, and it was 95F. I have no clue how long it has been out for, but I know it had a solid few hours at 230-250. The meat in question is a 8lb pork shoulder, and I did inject it. Do you think I am at risk on this meat?

Welcome Kevin!!

Too many unknowns at this end to say for sure one way or another.
    Doesn't sound good.

When in doubt---------------

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thaks! Yeah I'm figuring the worst on this....tough to throw away the first one though. Yeeeesh. Glad I found this forum though! Seems like good people!

Comment

I would not worry and get it cooking again. You have not been in the danger zone very long and since it is to be cooked up to 250ish all will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by beentown View Post
          I would not worry and get it cooking again. You have not been in the danger zone very long and since it is to be cooked up to 250ish all will be fine.
          I agree.
          MES 30"
          A-Maze-N pellet smoker
          Weber 22" kettle
          E-Z-Que rotisserie
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Big Weber Gasser
          Cracker Smoker
          UDS

Comment

Meat was injected which means you should get it from 40* to 140* in no longer than 4 hours.
            We don't know if it got to 140* at all, and at 7 hours it was at 95* IT.

I would personally toss it, as much as I hate to do that.
            I would not tell Kevin to cook it again. You could now take it to a IT of 210*, and it could still be unsafe.

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I'd toss it. We don't know what internal temp was at noon may have only been 130. That would possibly make it 7 hours in the danger zone plus another 2-3 hours to get it back up to 140. Not worth it in my book.
              sigpic

Comment

Sorry, but I wouldn't take a chance. Unless of course you have nothing to do for a few days and want to.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

When in doubt toss it out Yeah I know that sucks but better safe than sorry
                  Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                  Weber 22.5" WSM
                  Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                  Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                  Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  GMG Daniel Boone
                  Pit Barrel Cooker
                  Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                  6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                  Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                  The Vortex

Comment

I have to assume that in the four hours it was cooking that it reached 140 or very near that temp...If so then it only cooled down for a short period of time...Its a tough call but Im thinkin the price of pork vs. the price of spending a couple of days very sick...Hmmmmm....
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks all for the advice! I ran the situation with the people eating here, and apparently they are all feeling courageous! I'll let everyone know if I make it... haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        Meat was injected which means you should get it from 40* to 140* in no longer than 4 hours.
                        We don't know if it got to 140* at all, and at 7 hours it was at 95* IT.

I would personally toss it, as much as I hate to do that.
                        I would not tell Kevin to cook it again. You could now take it to a IT of 210*, and it could still be unsafe.
                        I'm with Bear.

Heat may kill the bacteria that forms from mishandled meat, but not the toxins that form. And you don't know how long it was below 140° when it came back down. Even if it hit a safe cooked temp, it would need to cool from 140° to 70° in two hours and then from 70° to 40° or lower in the next four hours to be considered safe.

You may want to do some reading in the Food and Cooking Safety Section before you do much more smoking.

Originally posted by thisiskevin 32 View Post
                        Thanks all for the advice! I ran the situation with the people eating here, and apparently they are all feeling courageous! I'll let everyone know if I make it... haha.
                        Good luck. Glad someone told you what you wanted to hear.

Speaking from the viewpoint of having had food poisoning before thanks to a careless family member, I'll tell you I would not have hesitated at all to toss it. I don't care how much you paid for it.

But hey, lot's of people roll the dice all the time and come out lucky. Hope no one is puking tomorrow.

Dave
                        Last edited by DDave; 04-27-2014, 11:06 PM.
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

WRONG!!!

First of all you have no idea how long it was in the danger zone.

And more importantly, you can't cook the toxins out of tainted meat.

You may want to do some reading in the Food Safety section as well.

Dave
                          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                          -
                          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

^ feel better with your above italicized and color coordinated yelling? Hope so.

Redacted the rest...

Serve Safe instructor for 3 years. Many other factors than just the dumbed down rule of 4 hours, 40-140 as it is elastic.

Better never eat any leftovers, ever, unless you have a flash freezer.

Comment

^ feel better with your above italicized and color coordinated yelling? Hope so.

Redacted the rest...

Serve Safe instructor for 3 years. Many other factors than just the dumbed down rule of 4 hours, 40-140 as it is elastic.

Better never eat any leftovers, ever, unless you have a flash freezer.
                              so what is your advice on the situation...
                              I say better safe than sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X