Smoker went out... temp issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beentown View Post
    ^ feel better with your above italicized and color coordinated yelling? Hope so.

Redacted the rest...

Serve Safe instructor for 3 years. Many other factors than just the dumbed down rule of 4 hours, 40-140 as it is elastic.

Better never eat any leftovers, ever, unless you have a flash freezer.
    I'm just repeating what bbally, a certified HAACP trainer and member here who has long been considered the resident food safety expert, has told us in the past.

And carrying on the unwritten forum tradition of advising caution when members post stories like that with so many unknowns.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by redruff View Post
      so what is your advice on the situation...
      I say better safe than sorry
      Better safe than sorry is always a GREAT rule. If it were a retail situation it would be tossed.

VERY little risk with this situation if other cleaning/sanitation procedures were followed.

You have more way more risk from left overs than from this situation.

Good day.

Comment

Better safe than sorry is always a GREAT rule. If it were a retail situation it would be tossed.
        Why would it be tossed if you can just "get to cookin", and bring it up to temp and "all will be fine"?

VERY little risk with this situation if other cleaning/sanitation procedures were followed.
        Do you know if the other cleaning/sanitation procedures were followed? Nothing against the new guy but he left his cooker unattended for 7 hours during his first smoke. Do you really think he is knowledgeable about the other cleaning/sanitation procedures? If that were the case, he wouldn't have had to post the question in the first place.

Depends on how you handle your leftovers.

Good day.
        No need to take your ball and go home. It's a forum. We can have a discussion, can't we?

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Originally posted by thisiskevin 32 View Post
          Thanks all for the advice! I ran the situation with the people eating here, and apparently they are all feeling courageous! I'll let everyone know if I make it... haha.
          been there done that, I really dont like to put my hard cash in the dumpster....

what really scares me is the fact if you cooked it and you eat it and no one gets sick. It will encourage you and others not to follow the 40-140*F rule. And it is just a matter of time before someone gets sick very sick.

the facts are;
          8 AM 40*F internal (or fridge setting)
          3 PM 95*F internal

7 hours lapsed time and no 140*F internal its gotta go....

I hope that you respect your friends and family enough not to feed them that pork butt
          Last edited by crusty ol salt; 04-27-2014, 10:42 PM.
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

And carrying on the unwritten forum tradition of advising caution when members post stories like that with so many unknowns.

Dave

I'll toss caution to the wind and hit a 3 wood when I should lay up with a 7 iron, but I would never be so cavalier with food I'm feeding guests.

The proper answer is toss it, and curse the circumstances.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Good day.
              So run this by me, again

If it were a retail situation it would be tossed.
              Why wouldn't I toss it in all situations? Shouldn't I treat food safety the same all the time?

The only answer is we don't get to pick and choose food safety.

You have some friends over and they encourage you to continue smoking that piece of meat, "no big deal" they say "hell I'll eat" collapsing to peer pressure is no reason bypass food safety.

In the back of your mind your mind you are thinking - hell fire that a $20 chunk of meat I am tossing out. Yes it is, some days doing the next right thing has a price. The next right thing is tossing the meat and go to plan B. (run to the store and pick up some hamburger and hot dogs to feed your friends)

And "beentown" you should be ashamed. Your "I wouldn't feed that to a customer but I'll feed it to my friends" attitude is just messed up. Yep, that's right giving a customer food poisoning may cost you thousands of dollars in revenue and maybe your business. Giving a friend food poisoning, shoot what are friends for That is simply beyond my realm of understanding.

Hundreds of years of smoking experience says toss it out. But, you have freewill make a choice.
              Last edited by crusty ol salt; 04-27-2014, 11:16 PM.
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Toss it now, or you'll toss it later...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post

And "beentown" Your "I wouldn't feed that to a customer but I'll feed it to my friends" attitude is just messed up. Yep, that's right giving a customer food poisoning may cost you thousands of dollars in revenue and maybe your business. Giving a friend food poisoning, shoot what are friends for That is simply beyond my realm of understanding.
                  Agreed, I wouldn't feed questionable meat to anyone.

Curious, what kind of smoker was it that konked out and let the temp slip?
                  Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                    Curious, what kind of smoker was it that konked out and let the temp slip?
                    According to his intro post, it's a gasser.

Originally posted by thisiskevin 32 View Post
                    Hey all!!! I love barbecuing, so I'm giving smoking a whirl! I'm from Michigan so I got a propane 30inch smoker, with plans to later make the move to a natural burning.
                    Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

First Welcome....

Second I am in the toss it camp and order pizza....fix grilled cheese.... That is just me though.... Good luck!
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                        According to his intro post, it's a gasser.

Dave
                        thanks. missed that.
                        Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          Meat was injected which means you should get it from 40* to 140* in no longer than 4 hours.
                          Bear
                          This is solid advice...no one likes to make themselves or others sick.
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Weber 22.5" Silver
                          Weber Performer Platinum
                          Smokey Mountain Gas Vertical Water Smoker
                          Big Green Egg XL with iQue 110
                          [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Comment

If it was me I would toss it as well... too many unknowns as to when it fell below 140, for how long and whether bacteria was able to form. It's just not worth it... knock it up to a learning experience and go for your second attempt with the comfort that you learned something and didn't get unnecessarily sick.
                            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                            Frogmats
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

So not to beat a sick (or dead) horse...What was the final outcome?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                                So not to beat a sick (or dead) horse...What was the final outcome?
                                I was kinda afraid to ask, but yeah... might as well have the rest of the story...
                                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                                X