Jerky- What temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billhoffer View Post
    Ok, I have had the smoker going at 135* for the last three hours, with the smoke on. Should I jack it up to a higher temperature?
    Take it up, Bill. It won't hurt the quality, and it looks like I'll be changing my regimen.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      I read the Hi Mountain directions again and they suggest if using a dehydrator to "follow your dehydrator instructions, remember meat must reach an internal temperature of 165*F to be safe."

Oven: 1 to 1.25 hours at 200*F

Smokehouse/Smoker: 1.5 to 2 hours at 200*F
      Figgers... and I just got 150 packs of MH cure/seasoning in. WITHOUT that on the label.
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Jerky

Rich and Bearcarver,
        I am going out right now and jack her up to 160*. Had to get the Grand Kids fed there supper. Had the smoke on for about three hours now, think I should pull it?

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Figgers... and I just got 150 packs of MH cure/seasoning in. WITHOUT that on the label.

I NEVER used to check temps, just cook/dehydrate until it looked and felt "right"... I dunno whats the right way

The last batch I did I probed to hit the 165 temps. It was excellent jerky. That said, it was FlatIron and cut thick, so that might have had something to do with it
          sigpic

Comment

If you can- bring it to 200 to finish. Prolly no need for more smoke. just the heat. And remember..it's drier than ya think. Don't let it get so it don't bend. It'll dry perfect over night on a rack.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post

I NEVER used to check temps, just cook/dehydrate until it looked and felt "right"... I dunno whats the right way
              I know....err don't apparently. I'm sure CA'll be here in a few hours tho...

Dang it... this is causing me heartburn.

Comment

Thanks Rich,
                I pulled the smoke and jacked her up to 200* and will watch the texture of the meat as you said. Sorry to seem like a idiot but I didn't want to wreck 7 Lbs. of venison. You guys have been a lot of help and that's why I love this website.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  I know....err don't apparently. I'm sure CA'll be here in a few hours tho...

Dang it... this is causing me heartburn.
                  we'll get some Biltong schooling too
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey... we all gotta learn. Keep learning. I am.

Comment

Hey guys---The funniest part I always get a kick out of is that the USDA says the Jerky should get to 160*. I wish they'd explain their method of taking an internal temp measurement of a piece of meat that's 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        Hey guys---The funniest part I always get a kick out of is that the USDA says the Jerky should get to 160*. I wish they'd explain their method of taking an internal temp measurement of a piece of meat that's 1/8" to 1/4" thick.

Bear
                        Yep - that's kind of my issue with the whole notion; 140-145 (I forget what the "new" number is) is just fine for every meat known to man, but then they tell us that a salted, dried-out, (usually) cured piece of meat that is only slightly thicker than a fingernail needs to reach 160-165 to be "safe."

Meanwhile, in Spain, Italy, Greece, South Africa and elsewhere across the modern, civilised world, whole cuts of meat hang in sheds (and mild climate) for 9 or 10 months out of the year, slowly transforming into prize-winning, expensive charcuterie products.

As I have said before, If a bacteria can survive the salty and completely moisture-free environment of typical jerky - especially when it is cured - then it has earned the right to give me the runs, in my opinon....

Having said that, I do like to finish it off in the oven a bit, because it gives my jerky a little better, more "finished" flavour. My point is that it's not "necessary" to do so....
                        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-15-2014, 09:55 AM.
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Man o Man.....

Just my $.02, you always have to error on the side of safety.

That said, I have come to believe that the USDA is way above and beyond a standard that most would consider normally safe to protect the "dumb masses"
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

USDA is way above and beyond a standard that most would consider normally safe to protect the "dumb masses"
                            Yep - Keep in mind that this is the SAME USDA that recently put this out:

Office of the Inspector General logo
                            Firearms
                            Solicitation Number: USDAOIGWEA-5-7-14
                            Agency: Department of Agriculture
                            Office: Office of the Inspector General

Original Synopsis

May 07, 2014

2:03 pm

Solicitation Number:
                            USDAOIGWEA-5-7-14
                            Notice Type:
                            Sources Sought
                            Synopsis:
                            Added: May 07, 2014 2:03 pm

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of Inspector General, located in Washington, DC, pursuant to the authority of FAR Part 13, has a requirement for the commerical acquisition of submachine guns, .40 Cal. S&W, ambidextrous safety, semi-automatic or 2 shot burst trigger group, Tritium night sights for front and rear, rails for attachment of flashlight (front under fore grip) and scope (top rear), stock-collapsilbe or folding, magazine - 30 rd. capacity, sling, light weight, and oversized trigger guard for gloved operation. NO SOLICITATION DOCUMENT EXISTS. All responsible and/or interested sources may submit their company name, point of contact, and telephone. If received timely, shall be considered by the agency for contact to determine weapon suitability.

Contracting Office Address:
                            1400 Independence Ave., SW, Room 40-E J.L. Whitten Fed Bldg
                            Washington, District of Columbia 20250
                            Place of Performance:
                            USDA, Office of Inspector General - Investigations
                            1400 Independence Avenue, SW
                            Washington, District of Columbia 20250
                            United States
                            Primary Point of Contact.:
                            Linda F. Josey,
                            Chief, Procurement Management Branch
                            linda.josey@oig.usda.gov
                            Phone: 2027208337
                            Secondary Point of Contact:
                            Desiree Clayton,
                            Contracting Officer
                            desiree.clayton@oig.usda.gov
                            Phone: 202-720-5931
                            Fax: 202-690-1282
                            Maybe for Mad Cows?

There is a balance between being safe and being smart, and that balance is founded upon educating oneself about the topic. There's a lot of good stuff out there ~
                            Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM.
                            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                              There is a balance between being safe and being smart, and that balance is founded upon educating oneself about the topic. There's a lot of good stuff out there ~
                              I concur, and I try to learn something new everyday
                              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Okay, now I'm confused . . .

A study by the Harrisons and Ruth Ann Rose, also with the University of Georgia, was published in the January 1998 Journal of Food Protection, Vol. 61, No. 1. The authors analyzed ground beef jerky made with a commercial beef jerky spice mixture with and without a curing mix containing salt and sodium nitrite.

Half of the ground beef was inoculated with E. coli O157:H7 before making it into jerky strips and dehydrating it. The authors found that in both the heated and unheated samples, the jerky made with the curing mix had greater destruction of bacteria than jerky made without it. The jerky made with the mix and heated before dehydrating had the highest destruction rate of bacteria.

They concluded, "For ground beef jerky prepared at home, safety concerns related to E. coli O157:H7 are minimized if the meat is precooked to 160 °F prior to drying."

So the test was a worst case scenario because they purposely contaminated ground beef before making it into strips. The study seems to make reference to ground meat only unless I missed something.

So my questions is . . .

What about whole muscle meat that is properly handled, sliced and cured? Does it need to be precooked as well?

Dave
                                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                                UDS 1.0
                                Afterburner
                                Weber Performer
                                Blue Thermapen
                                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                                Auber Smoker Controller
                                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                                -
                                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                                X