Divorce or What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce or What?

After a somewhat rocky start in getting into the wondrous galaxy of smoking dead things....I have arrived at a pivotal point in my married life.
    The wife, to be forever referred by me as the BOSS, has layed the ultimate bombshell on me.
    Other than pork ribs, she has shunned, criticized, and generally relegated all other forms of smoked deliciousness to the land of UGH, it tastes smokey.
    Brothers and sisters, I`m crushed.
    Devastated.

While I do appreciate the fact that means more for me
    I really would like THE BOSS to share at least a little bit of things other than ribs.
    What to do
    Do I toss all Hickory and Mesquite into a hole, using nothing but the most mild of Pecan, Apple, and Cherry?
    First thing that popped into my mind was---Hey, I could get another smoke box just for me
    While I`m really enjoying that bit of fancy, reality strikes like lightening and say`s Uh Ah..that will never fly.
    Bummer.
    So Folksies, what to do?
    Not fixing what ain`t broke, hurts your local economy.
    EEElectrical El Cheepo Brinkmann....Yup-That`s Right, I plug it in

Better airflow (and possibly higher cooking temperatures (in the 250-degree range)) when you are barbecuing will do wonders.

Also, be sure to use that water pan, if you don't already. That was another game-changer for me, as the moisture in the environment seemed to carry the sweet smoke into the meat in a better way.

Doing these things, and a few others I am sure, you get the goodness of the smoke without the "too smoky."

My wife said the same as yours - I learned a few fundamentals about what I was doing and why I was doing it, now SHE buys the ribs, pork shoulders, briskets and so on - and has me barbecue them. I haven't heard "too smoky" in years.....

The smoke is not the goal, but part of the whole - I think that a lot of folks forget that when they are learning the art....
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 06-04-2015, 02:32 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Got a Weber kettle? Try grilling indirect at higher temps and open vents with a milder wood. Personally not a fan of Mesquite, and hickory is borderline for me.
      No heavy bitter smoke taste, just a nice touch.

You can also do briskets and butts, etc. indirect on them.
      sigpic

Comment

Remember, to be smoking you really do not need to see smoke.. if you cant see ant that is fine, if not perfect... if you are seeing "white" smoke you are getting that nasty smoke... which might be the problem. cut the Mesquite out for a while... too strong... ease her in on apple and other fruit woods.. and just do it for an hour or so and build her up to liking it... slow and steady wins the race!! good luck and keep your smoke thin and blue!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Remember, smoke is an ingredient, and should not be overwhelming. Personally, I don't like mesquite... too strong for my tastes. As TasunkaWitko said, "Better airflow (and possibly higher cooking temperatures (in the 250-degree range)", will help. No billowing smoke! It took me awhile to learn, and before I did, I tortured my family! Now they beg for BBQ. Keep tweaking... You'll get it.

As far as divorce? Love is grand. Divorce is 200 grand. Don't ask me how I know this...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Maybe it's not that anything is wrong with your smoke.
            Maybe it's her.
            Maybe you have to smoke different things???

Mrs Bear would rather have Prime Rib done in the Oven, Butts, Ribs, & Chuckies done in the Crock Pot, and Steaks done on the Grill.
            However she loves my Belly Bacon, Canadian Bacon, Buckboard Bacon, Bacon-on-a-Stick, and Cured & Smoked Pork Chops.

And I never use heavy, thick smoke.

Try some of those Cured Bacon type things.

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

all i can say is me coppertop & vortex is that cats a$$...got it where Louie can throw the electric charcoal gig doofer in there & fire things up! i have been told...(i got this!)...
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

All I can add is, you really don't need much smoke, if any sometimes. Lump charcoal has a smoky flavor without using wood. And, if you're using a well used smoker, try something without any wood, you'll still get some smokiness. All I use is apple, cherry, and pecan. And, I don't use a lot of it.

Good luck brother.
                Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I went back to the beginning. I remember burgers and steaks done on the grill with charcoal. That, in and of itself, very different from the "propane" age. That memory for me the way my Dad did it was what got me into smoking and old time grilling in the first place. That was a away's back.

So, it's a process. Just use charcoal (I use RO lump) and start there. That said, my kids love smoked foods but still prefer a propane burger to charcoal, . Anything else low and slow or grilled, they like the charcoal and a light smoke.

As for smoke, I have never liked the stronger woods. I only use cherry or apple (and mix them) for most things and pecan for poultry. That with the lump imparts a great flavor for us. We get the smoke and the all the work put into the meat prep as well.

I guess it all depends on how we grow up and what we ate during that time. Then, just like life, it's a game of relativity and comparison. For example, my wife and I will never eat or serve liver in this house, ever. I don't care how good anyone says it is.
                  Pete
                  Large BGE
                  Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Is it too late for an annulment?

Otherwise, something I've been doing more and more, is simply using the charcoal itself, without ANY additional wood added. Both Hickory and especially Mesquite, are on the stronger side, whereas something like Oak is pretty neutral. Like any wood, it doesn't take allot. I use Royal Oak lump and it gives me consistent results each time.

What kinds of smoker you using?
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Dude,,my wife won't touch ANY "BBQ". She'll do a coal cooked chicken... NO wood. And I don't find that offensive really. Don't get me wrong..I like a bit of smoke on my boid...but it don't ruin it if it's over straight charcoal. And yes..I do use lump.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Something I should have added to my post above: when you use wood that is burning clean and with good air-flow, you use a lot less of it and get much better results. Pre-heating the wood is one of the other things that will help a lot, as it gets it to a temerature where it burns clean, without a bunch of "stuff" that results in that bitter, acrid, ash-tray, "over-smoked" quality.

Good air-flow, clean burn - she will like it like that.
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Listen to her. Maybe she's right.

I like really strong flavors, and the best things I've ever pulled off of a smoker are from listening to my wife, who doesn't. A little smoke can go a long way. I've learned that the meat, the pork, the poultry is the main flavor, and less is sometimes more. Don't overpower it with smoke or whatever else. Try it both ways. Hell, try it her way.

Keep smoking. Thats the beauty of this sport. I have more fun smoking something, than I do eating it most times. From the outside, Smoking looks like its some redneck, simple thing. In reality, its a finely crafted art methinks. Its a balance, and you don't learn balance from anything other than experience most times.

Yeah brother, keep effing smoking.

She'll come around.
                          New Braunfels Black Diamond
                          18.5" WSM
                          Weber Performer Deluxe Black
                          18.5 Weber Kettle
                          22.5 Weber Kettle
                          Maverick ET732
                          6, 8, 10 and 12' Lodge DO

Smoked Meat Misfits: "the change it had to come. We knew it all along. We were liberated from the fold, that's all" - The Who.

sigpic

Comment

So what was there about she only likes my pork ribs that seemed to go over y`alls heads?
                            She loves the ribs done with a mix of apple and hickory thin blue curling around dem lovely bones-n-meat.
                            What makes you folk think I`m pumping enough smoke to make railroad ties or telephone poles, except when I`m doing ribs?
                            I`ve learned my lessons on how excessive smoke goes from tasty to bitter in a hurry.
                            Just for whatever reason, anything other than ribs, she holds her nose and heads for the pasta pot.
                            Chicken, chuckies, pork country ribs and chops, even did a meat loaf and they all came out on the plus side of good.
                            We aren`t going to go to blows over this sickness of hers, just needed a spot to vent she will never see.
                            Not fixing what ain`t broke, hurts your local economy.
                            EEElectrical El Cheepo Brinkmann....Yup-That`s Right, I plug it in

Comment

Women can't live with them, can't murder them, bury them in the backyard, and tell the neighbors she went to the Bahamas.

Comment

Working...
                              X