This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No bark or smoke ring

This isn't quite a urgent situation, but I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before tomorrow.

Bearcarver has inspired me to smoke a chuck roast tomorrow. I am going to marinate it in enchilada sauce and shred the meat for tacos. The problem I am having with smoking anything (beef pork, chicken) is that I can't get any bark or browning on my meat when I smoke, regardless of the temperature the smoker is set. I do know the thermostat is correct on the smoker. I have a Masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker. After reading posts, I'm thinking that I'm not getting enough air flow. I have the side vent completely open. Should I leave the "plunger" thing out that you use to feed the burner more chips? Would that even make a difference? Do I need to loosed the door to allow for more air circulation? Help please! I'm getting frustrated with the lack of goody on the meat.

I dont have one but i believe with electric smokers its hard to get a smoke ring using chips.It explains what you can do in this article.
    http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...moke_ring.html

I think you just put a small lump of charcoal in with your wood chips to get a smoke ring.

Comment

Electric smokers don't produce much in the way of smoke ring. Here is a thread discussing smoke ring formation.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298

Not sure why you would not get any bark though. What temp do you smoke at? Do you wrap in foil?

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I used to have an MES and never really got a smoke ring or bark, butt they are pretty handy.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

Not sure why you would not get any bark though. What temp do you smoke at? Do you wrap in foil?

Dave
          I usually smoke roast type meats between 225 and 250. I've only foiled the meat once and that was when I was doing the 3-2-1 method for smoking ribs. I was going to follow Bearcarver's protocol for cooking the pot roast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranchwife View Post
            I was going to follow Bearcarver's protocol for cooking the pot roast.
            I have no idea what the reasons were for the no smokering/bark. But I do agree with you 100% about going the Bearcarver route.
            I always like following a tried and true when i can't get my head around an issue.

Comment

The smoke ring is made by the particles in burning wood. The Masterbuilt does not burn wood, it chars wood. I have my MES 30 also, my first smoker. The wood must ignite and burn, doesn't have to be a flame. So many of us buy the Owens BBQ A-MAZE-N-TUBE SMOKER (AMNTS) or the A-MAZE-N-PELLET SMOKER (AMNPS). I use mine in my MES 30 with pellets or dust. It actually burns. So you get a smoke ring.

http://www.owensbbq.com/smokers-and-pellets.html

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...moke_ring.html

You get one of these to light the pellets. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-App...500-F/21188988

Lastly, are you sure the MES thermo is right?

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
                The smoke ring is made by the particles in burning wood.
                Actually, no it isn't. It is made by nitrogen dioxide which is a by product of combustion of wood OR natural gas and propane.

Most barbecuers use either wood chips or logs to generate smoke when cooking. Wood contains large amounts of nitrogen (N). During burning the nitrogen in the logs combines with oxygen (O) in the air to form nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Nitrogen dioxide is highly water-soluble. The pink ring is created when NO2 is absorbed into the moist meat surface and reacts to form nitrous acid. The nitrous acid then diffuses inward creating a pink ring via the classic meat curing reaction of sodium nitrite. The end result is a "smoke ring" that has the pink color of cured meat. Smoke ring also frequently develops in smokehouses and cookers that are gas-fired because NO2 is a combustion by-product when natural gas or propane is burned.
                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298

Just to clarify . . .

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of goody on the meat.
                are you talking about smoke ring as in the pinkish color that you see in the outside edge of slices of finished product like this . . .

or bark which is the flavorful crust which forms on the outside of the meat?

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I have never used a MES but I believe they have air flow problems that allow moisture to build up inside the cook chamber...Probably gonna restrict the amount of bark that forms...But I could be wrong here so ya probably will get better answers from the MES crowd...Although mostly yer getting responses about smoke ring...

Smoke ring is gonna be slight from an electric cooker using a small amount of chips...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

You are not burning much of anything= no smoke ring.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...=2486#poststop

And poor airflow/moisture removal is the cause of poor bark.

Incidentally..this info here pre-dates anything on amazing ribs.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I'm ok without a smoke ring. I do want the bark though. So far, I've got the vent completely open and chip loader out to increase air flow. The meat does have a darker color so far.

Comment

I'm ok without a smoke ring. I do want the bark though. So far, I've got the vent completely open and chip loader out to increase air flow. The meat does have a darker color so far.
                        Nice... post up results..it will be helpful to other wattburners.
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Like others have said---No Smoke Ring from MES or Amazing, but it's all show anyway, so I never cared.

As for the Bark, I get about what we like here, but we don't really like real thick & hard bark.
                          I don't pull my dumper or drawer out any, but I get pretty decent air flow through my Generation #1 MES 40. It sounds like you got a Gen #2, since you mentioned your "Side" vent, so yes you might have to pull your dumper out about 2" & turn it 180° too for more air flow.

I got what I call real nice Bark on that Chucky I just posted a couple days ago.

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post

I got what I call real nice Bark on that Chucky I just posted a couple days ago.

Bear
                            Your post on Chucky inspired me to do a chuck roast later this week. I'm going to marinate it in enchilada sauce and then pull for tacos. I will let you know how that turns out!

Comment

At the end of the day, it's all about the taste. After all, we cook to eat.

I'm a pure offset, higher temp, stick burner. Sometimes heavy bark is nothing short of greasy jerky. Plus, too much bark can kill you spice flavor profile. Smoke rings come from smoke. Having said that, I have had some really kickass meals out of an oven. I'm sure your cooks are awesome just because you're thinking out if the box. That's what makes a good cook.
                              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Working...
                              X