X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
    I believe the last one I just posted the other day said:
    5:00PM————IT is 208°—-Remove Chucky from smoker, take to kitchen, Uncover & take pics, Pull Chucky apart.

Bear
    Apparently I needed to read them out loud to myself!

Comment

Originally posted by Ranchwife View Post
      Apparently I needed to read them out loud to myself!

LOL----That's what I sometimes do---That way I know I'm listening to what I'm reading.

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

In order to get a smoke ring, you need the chemicals/particulates that are in smoke. With gas or electric as a heat source, you get none at all. With charcoal briquettes, you might get a little, but not much. With lump, you get a little more. With lump and wood you get more still. With just wood you get the most. With each, there an increase in smoke ring depth, as there is an increase in the amount and concentration of the chemicals and particulates needed for the necessary reaction.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
          In order to get a smoke ring, you need the chemicals/particulates that are in smoke. With gas or electric as a heat source, you get none at all. With charcoal briquettes, you might get a little, but not much. With lump, you get a little more. With lump and wood you get more still. With just wood you get the most. With each, there an increase in smoke ring depth, as there is an increase in the amount and concentration of the chemicals and particulates needed for the necessary reaction.

LOL---You just reminded me of one of my favorite TV programs from back when I was a wee kid-----"Mr Wizard". Yes we had TV in the 50s, but it was Black & White!!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
            Yes we had TV in the 50s, but it was Black & White!!!
            So were most things. Ahem.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Heck, I remember still having only 4 channels, but they WERE in colour! One was a Canadian channel, which is why I can't spell "colour" anymore... lol
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                With gas or electric as a heat source, you get none at all.
                Shhh . . . don't tell that to this brisket that I cooked on my propane SnP.

Dave
                CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                -
                "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                  Shhh . . . don't tell that to this brisket that I cooked on my propane SnP.

Fudge..111? Why do you have to light anything to cook??

But you will not get a smoke ring.

You will cooking with propane. The combustion reaction produces NO. You may not get as deep of one..because likely you'll have trouble keeping the temps down..and once the meat surface hits aboot 140, it's done. Just aboot the time you can insert yer temp probe BTW.

On edit... but I am not affiliated with Amazing ribs..so... that that with a grain of... Oh I dunno..pick your poison
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind, the colder the meat is when you put it in the smoker, the more of a smoke ring you'll get. At least that's how it is in Jersey.
                    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
                      Another thing to keep in mind, the colder the meat is when you put it in the smoker, the more of a smoke ring you'll get. At least that's how it is in Jersey.
                      A collorary of the protiens denaturing at the 140 mark. Altho..don't toss on a frozen brisket. Just saying

You MAY have a danger zone issue if you cook low and the meat is semi-solid tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        A collorary of the protiens denaturing at the 140 mark. Altho..don't toss on a frozen brisket. Just saying

You MAY have a danger zone issue if you cook low and the meat is semi-solid tho.
                        Roger that, however I didn't mean frozen or semi-frozen, I meant right outta the fridge as opposed to room temp.
                        Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                        My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Roger that, however I didn't mean frozen or semi-frozen, I meant right outta the fridge as opposed to room temp.
                          Of course. just pointing out the obvious..in case some take things too far

Comment

Delaware is pretty much the same...

I rarely get my protein to "room" temp anymore before hitting the grates... and yes, there's always a nice smoke ring. The smoke ring is mostly a visual effect, little to do with the final taste. The bark however... that's a must!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The "smoke ring" we see in our meat has nothing to do with smoke. It's chemistry that does it. The myoglobin in the meat will, when it comes into contact with Nitriteacid (HNO2) formed by Nitrogendioxid (NO2) from the fire and Hydrogen from the surface of the meat, turn red. But if the temperature is to high, fluids from the roast will wash out the myoglobin and the colour goes.

Comment

Originally posted by StickyFingers
                                Nah, not so much. Here's a pic of some belly meat from a rack of spareribs I did in my prophane smoker.

And while I don't have a picture, I have a friend who has obtained a small smoke ring in an electric MB. I suspect if he uses small chips and runs it hot enough, he's getting a bit of combustion.

For me, personally, I have used sticks, charcoal, electric and propane. I guess the only thing I haven't smoked with is pellets. The stick and propane are so close in flavor as to be indistinguishable in a side by side. The electric fell short, IMO.
                                Sorry - we're talking about actual smoke rings here, not a little red around the edges from the wood chips....

But if it works for you, it's all good!
                                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Working...
                                X