This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
    Sorry - we're talking about actual smoke rings here, not a little red around the edges from the wood chips....

But if it works for you, it's all good!
    Oh, then I'm sorry too. I thought we were trying to dispel stupid myths, not trash one another.

And I don't use chips, I use small logs.
    Last edited by StickyFingers; 07-20-2015, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StickyFingers
      And it's been noted that slathering with yellow mustard will actually block the ring.
      Hmm . . . that's interesting. I've never heard that. Nor have I ever noticed that. Has anyone come up with any scientific reasoning? Something in the mustard interfering with the nitrogen dioxide/myoglobin reaction?

The pulled pork pictured below came from butts that were slathered in mustard prior to the rub being applied the night before they hit the smoker.

A certain type of mustard perhaps? This was just French's regular yellow mustard.

Sorry - we're talking about actual smoke rings here, not a little red around the edges from the wood chips....
      Come on, Ron, play nice. Bottom line is that science says you don't need smoke to create a smoke ring. Just something that produces nitrogen dioxide during the cooking process. Which a propane or nat gas burner can do.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

That information came from Dr. Greg Blonder, one of the scientific types at Amazing Ribs. I too have gotten a smoke ring while using mustard, but I put it on very very thin. I've never tried putting in on heavy.

Not too worried about old Ron, this ain't my first rodeo. I guess if I wanted to impress him I could get a smoke ring an inch deep by rubbing on baking soda. Then I could say my smoke ring is bigger than his...
        Last edited by StickyFingers; 07-20-2015, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StickyFingers View Post
          I guess if I wanted to impress him I could get a smoke ring an inch deep by rubbing on baking soda. Then I could say my smoke ring is bigger than his...
          My choice would be Tenderquick
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

But if it works for you, it's all good!
            Smokering = cured meat, which IS what we are talking about.

That information came from Dr. Greg Blonder, one of the scientific types at Amazing Ribs. I too have gotten a smoke ring while using mustard, but I put it on very very thin. I've never tried putting in on heavy.
            Man's an idiot.
            An oil based marinade might prevent a smokering as oil can seal meat. But as long as the tiny particles of nitrous oxide can find the meat you'll get a cured zone.

Not sure why so many myths prevail here. It's a simple chemical reaction caused by inefficient combustion.

And as rich says: use a little cure salt in your rub and you'll get a 'smokering' from a microwave :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I couldn't find anything on the AmazingRibs website concerning mustard blocking the smoke ring. It may very well be there but I searched for awhile and got tired of being badgered about how many pages I viewed and that I should join the Pitmaster Club and support the site.

I did find this article that he wrote where he shows a hunk of meat that was rubbed with canola oil and mustard prior to smoking and it shows a very prevalent smoke ring after 12 hours of cooking.
              http://www.genuineideas.com/Articles...ringmoist.html

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

You will notice in my post I used a lot of qualifiers like 'noted' and 'suggested'!
                Fair enough.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Before I subscribe to that assertion, can you please provide your background?
                  Before we subscribe to your assertions, you provide your background.
                  There are a bunch of people here that have been at this for a long time. Some might know a thing or two. Some have degrees in food safety and food science.
                  I suggest you go back and read the thread from the begining, the question that was asked, was answered. You are not adding anything to it just
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    Before we subscribe to your assertions, you provide your background.
                    There are a bunch of people here that have been at this for a long time. Some might know a thing or two. Some have degrees in food safety and food science.
                    I suggest you go back and read the thread from the begining, the question that was asked, was answered. You are not adding anything to it just
                    I am not calling anyone out. I didn't call a physicist an idiot. Before I can wrap my head around the comment, I would like to understand the knowledge base of a person who did.

If you believe I have nothing to add, you're probably correct.
                    Last edited by StickyFingers; 07-20-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

First, I already did. Second, so have I. Third, I disagree.
                      1, No you have not, and you are calling folks out with a lot of knowledge that you are not aware of. Perhaps you need look into the knowledge base of the folks you are questioning before you spout off.
                      2, Certainly cannot tell by your body of work.
                      3, The question was answered.

I'm done, I suggest you read a bit more before you spout.

How about showing some of your skills, show us some food, what you can do!
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I am not calling anyone out. I didn't call a physicist an idiot. Before I can wrap my head around the comment, I would like to understand the knowledge base of a person who did.

If you believe I have nothing to add, you're probably correct.
                        Chemistry and science are pretty clear cut. Rumors and wives..and husbands tales (hehe how PC of me) need vetting. It's been vetted and established.

I don't know where this baking soda thing came from. And I can't find anything to support the "mustard block" supposition.

And the guy who runs Amazing Ribs is a penis. And a gold digger. Refrain from any source from that site in the future. Or..arrange a bit of intercourse. I'm up for it, as are many others. (Altho he in particular has been banned )

Not being a hard-ass, and hell..another MI guy here is good... but we have seen it... cooked it..f'd it up...and overcame it already.
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

So why do I get a smoke ring when I microwaved my gator

Geez I read the first couple of responses and see they answered the question and now I come back and read all this
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                            So why do I get a smoke ring when I microwaved my gator

Geez I read the first couple of responses and see they answered the question and now I come back and read all this
                            I don't take closing a thread lightly... but I think you are right Ry. Sigh... nothing to see here...move along.

Comment

Working...
                            X