I guess it's time to dust stuff off and get practicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess it's time to dust stuff off and get practicing

Our county fair finally decided to have a comp where it's cooked on-site. Previous years it was cook at home and bring in finished product. I didn't like that so I didn't enter. Signed up today. Got to cook 2 racks of ribs, pork butt, and chicken thighs. Been a couple years since I've done a comp. Never have done chicken at one. Did some practice tonight. 2 different rubs with 2 different sauces. I followed Harry Soo's method. I used his brine for 3 hours then seasoned and into a pan. On the smoker for an hour at 275 then covered for another hour. Removed from pan and sauced and onto smoker for 5 minutes.

I've got some improvement to do in the next 2 weeks. Some skin got loose, might have trimmed to much off after scraping the fat off the skin. I was surprised they weren't dry, skin wasn't crispy but it wasn't rubbery. It was a clean bite, which is what Soo said would happen.

How heavy do you put the rub on chicken for a comp? Is it fairly thick? I went pretty light. Do you sauce both sides? Any tips or techniques I need to know. It'll probably be regular people judging so I'm guessing it'll be more about flavor.

Question about pulled pork. Should I remove the money muscle and slice for turn in box? Do you sauce the pulled pork in the turn in box? Never done this at a comp either. Tips and techniques for a comp with PP would be appreciated also.

I've got the ribs down, just need to make an order of MH cause I'm now all out. Kind of excited for it. $35 to enter they supply the meat and the payout isn't the greatest, $75 for first overall. They're just doing an overall winner payout for top 4 spots. So it's more or less sitting around drinking beer for bragging rights. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    sigpic

OK... well..first tip. Buy skin on breasts for donor skin.

If yer ordering- get Nekkid brine for the clucker. if yer looking for your own profile. Poultry for a traditional.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

If yer ordering- get Nekkid brine for the clucker. if yer looking for your own profile. Poultry for a traditional.
      Never thought of that. Are the breast skins less fatty? The size will definitely help. I'd used the poultry brine but I don't think it'd go with my rub and sauces. I'll keep the nekkid in mind. Probably order sometime next week. Never made comp style chicken and I've been reading alot today, could be the spark I need to get my bit back in the kitchen.
      sigpic

Comment

And vortex finish!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Go Nekkid...You'll love it...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

yeah..less fatty. but ya still wanna scrape ‘em.

Nekkid will pump them up. Be heavy handed in spicing it too- for your profile.

And a good hot finish..as Mark mentioned.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post

And vortex finish!
              Not sure if I'll be bringing a weber. Might just use trailer smoker for everything. Plan on staying for the demolition derby after which attracts all the white trash from surrounding counties. Less I can have in the back of the pickup the better. Might be able to get it off the fair grounds and to a friend's shop close by. So who knows.
              sigpic

Comment

yeah..less fatty. but ya still wanna scrape ‘em.

Nekkid will pump them up. Be heavy handed in spicing it too- for your profile.

And a good hot finish..as Mark mentioned.
                might have to do another trial run next weekend. Hoping I don't have to drop out, smoke can set my asthma off, been feeling decent lately but if it's acting up that week I won't be able to do it.
                sigpic

Comment

Just a thought here..... If the judges are not KCBS or whatever other organization, give them something different? Smoke/grill some skin on thighs indirect, sauce them when aboot 70% done, both sides, and cook/smoke that sauce and smoke into the ootside/skin, then a quick Char session on the Vortex. Personally, my favorite way to eat any kind of chicken.

Just thinking oot loud here.....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Just a thought here..... If the judges are not KCBS or whatever other organization, give them something different? Smoke/grill some skin on thighs indirect, sauce them when aboot 70% done, both sides, and cook/smoke that sauce and smoke into the ootside/skin, then a quick Char session on the Vortex. Personally, my favorite way to eat any kind of chicken.

Just thinking oot loud here.....
                    That's kind of the thoughts I've been having. I know for the pulled pork I won't be making a vinegar finishing sauce. We love it to that way especially with Cole slaw on the sandwich. But that won't fly here. A sweet baby Ray's or something along those lines is what's common here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Bob's sauce if you haven't tried it yet. Everyone who I've had sample it loves it and its waaaay better then SBR.
                      Bored Guy Blog

Comment

Is stuffing thighs allowed? Skinned and scraped fat from skin, deboned, pounded thigh till even thickness, trimmed up kinda rectangular,laid on some smoked ham,cream chesse and I think sun dried tomatoes a little seasoning, rolled up lite dusting of seasoning skin back on then. Some I grilled a while back before they were glazed over with some sauce. Also did some with bacon wrapped over skin.IMG_1497.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbum View Post
                          Is stuffing thighs allowed? Skinned and scraped fat from skin, deboned, pounded thigh till even thickness, trimmed up kinda rectangular,laid on some smoked ham,cream chesse and I think sun dried tomatoes a little seasoning, rolled up lite dusting of seasoning skin back on then. Some I grilled a while back before they were glazed over with some sauce. Also did some with bacon wrapped over skin.[ATTACH]27641[/ATTACH]
                          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Pretty sure that won't fly in a comp but yours looks great
                          Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                          Weber 22.5" WSM
                          Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                          Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          GMG Daniel Boone
                          Pit Barrel Cooker
                          Maverick ET 73 and ET 732