Can you prep ABT's ahead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you prep ABT's ahead?

I'm thinking of making some ABT's for a work potluck this year around Thanksgiving time. I really won't have time to prep them here, but smoking them would be fine. I make my ABT's with chorizo and cheese, wrap with bacon, toothpick, and then hit with MHGP rub. If I do everything except the rub and refrigerate them, will they save overnight and still be fine when I smoke them?
    Last edited by Lazarus52980; 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM.

Yep should be no problem, I always make mine the day before
    Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

Comment

Thanks BigMikey! :)

As long as I am asking questions, any non-cream cheese favorite combos for ABT's?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
        As long as I am asking questions, any non-cream cheese favorite combos for ABT's?
        A lot of times I do mine a day or so ahead of time. They will be fine if you go ahead and put the rub on them, too. For non-cream cheese, use whatever cheese you like or skip it. Good luck!
        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
        Weber Smokey Joe
        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
        Pink Thermapen
        Purple Thermapen

Comment

I've made them the day before many times. As far as cheese, I've been buying the pepper jack cheese sticks that come individually wrapped. Just makes life a little bit easier.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinOutBack View Post
            I've made them the day before many times. As far as cheese, I've been buying the pepper jack cheese sticks that come individually wrapped. Just makes life a little bit easier.
            Do you do the peppers whole then, or do you cut them in half? if you do them whole, do you use one of those vertical pepper holders to smoke them, or do you smoke them laying on their sides?

So far I have done mine cut in half and cooked on their side... worked alright, but it might be nicer to have the pepper holder...

If it makes any difference, I'm using an electric smoker

Comment

I usually cut them in half, use some sausage or taco meat and cheese. Wrap in bacon and set them right on the grid. Cubanelle or pablano peppers work really well as they'll hold more filling.
              Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
              My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
              @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Not non-cream cheese but try raspberry preserves in the pepper topped with cream cheese. Bacon is optional.

Comment

IMO, as far as fillings go, anything goes. I like Frogs idea of the Raspberry preserves, but have not tried it. YET..... Personal favorite is shrimp and Mango slice, along with cream cheese. Pineapple and Cashews and cream cheese is also really good. As mentioned, string cheese is good also and easier. I have one of those SS pepper stands, but they dont seem to "sit" in the holes very well when wrapped in bacon. Thin bacon seems to wrap the best, and when I make them I use a knife edge in the middle of the bacon strip, applying a slight pressure to the knife blade at an angle, working from the middle of the bacon slice to the outter edge. You are essentially "stretching" the bacon, making it much thinner, can +- double the length of the bacon strip, and makes them easier to wrap.

Mad Hunky General Purpose Rub is by far the favorite on ABT's here
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, I prepped most of them last night, but had a few left over that I prepped on Saturday for my party there, so we'll see how well the pre-prepped ABT's go. I have my smoker and grill ready for the work potluck in a few hours, and about 100 ABT's. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus52980 View Post
                      I have my smoker and grill ready for the work potluck in a few hours, and about 100 ABT's. :P
                      They are going to love you!!
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                        They are going to love you!!
                        They did indeed go over very well. This site will forever have a place in my heart for all of the help and guidance you have given me, AND for introducing me to ABT's. :)

Comment

Working...
                        X