Another Cabinet Style Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Cabinet Style Smoker

I have started another smoker, copied from BBQ Engineer's amazing Mini Maiden smoker. I had previously built one approximately the size his was, but this one will be a bit larger, 24"x24"x48" outside dimensions.
    Here is an Artist's Rendering

The rear-facing firebox door is not a mistake, there is a reason for it.

and a pic of its beginning stage.

This one will have raceways on the two sides, and across the rear wall, because the volume doubled, and the raceways didn't seem that they would provide enough increased volume to match the cooking chamber volume. I checked with BBQE on this, and he agreed.
    After the insulation layer, and raceways, the internal dimensions of the cc will be about 20"x21"x35", and it will have four slide-out racks. I am thinking this will allow me to cook up to eight briskets in the 12 pound range.

The smoker will be mounted in this beast:

The cooker will be installed in the open space to the rear of the serving window.
    I will cut a hole just below the horizontal ridge that runs about the serving table height. The firebox will jut out enough to allow me to access the door to get to my charcoal basket, which will contain lump charcoal along with wood chunks.
    the firebox will be 1/4" steel everywhere it is exposed to fire. everywhere else, the steel will be 14ga. My previous build had 1/4" only for the top of the firebox, all else was 16ga, and has held up well.
    The rest of the smoker will be inside the truck, as per the requirements of the City of Houston. The meat will be accessed from inside the truck.

My menu will be simple to start out. Brisket - sliced and chopped, spicy and mild Sausage, and hot dogs for the kids, Potato Salad, Beans, and possibly greens.
    Last edited by brisket envy; 08-16-2016, 01:02 PM.

Lookin' good.

Only thing I see that could be a problem is the outside firebox door. I think you will need to put a locking safety cage around it to keep people from opening it out of curiosity and to keep kids( biggest deal ) from touching it and getting burnt. It's gonna have to stick out far enough that fingers can't reach thru the cage and touch the door. Learned this lesson about the firebox door being hotter than the rest of the cooker first hand from accidentally touching a firebox door on one of my Spicewines. Missed the handle and the back of my hand hit the door.

JMHO-YMMV
    Last edited by BYBBQ; 08-16-2016, 12:56 PM.
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
      Lookin' good.

Only thing I see that could be a problem is the outside firebox door. I think you will need to put a locking safety cage around it to keep people from opening it out of curiosity and to keep kids( biggest deal ) from touching it and getting burnt. It's gonna have to stick out far enough that fingers can't reach thru the cage and touch the door. Learned this lesson about the firebox door being hotter than the rest of the cooker first hand from accidentally touching a firebox door on one of my Spicewines. Missed the handle and the back of my hand hit the door.

JMHO-YMMV
      That was my first thought too. Other than that, sounds like a great plan, can't wait to see the rest of the build.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

I agree 100%.
        I was considering that myself. I may also increase the insulation space aroung the firebox to 2", instead of 1".
        My previous smoker like this had 1" all the way around, and while the firebox door got hot enough to make you want to move your hand pretty quick, I don't think it would burn you, and an extra inch of insulation down there would be beneficial anyway.
        The cage door is a definite, or somebody would eventually open the door. It would also give me a way to keep the damper from being jacked with.

Comment

Yoy could put an expanded metal cage/latch around the outside door... hinged with a hook above it to hold during loading/ashing/whatnot.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Yoy could put an expanded metal cage/latch around the outside door... hinged with a hook above it to hold during loading/ashing/whatnot.
            Good Idea.

Comment

Originally posted by brisket envy View Post
              Good Idea.
              Matter of fact..weld a “stop pin” er two..to the inside of the cage to hold the drawer securly in...especially for travel.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Matter of fact..weld a “stop pin” er two..to the inside of the cage to hold the drawer securly in...especially for travel.
                Hmmm.
                I had planned a firebox door, with a separate basket, but a drawer might well be a better way to go.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X