No announcement yet.

Anyone out there make home made cheese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there make home made cheese?

I've pondered it for years, I've done the simple soft cheeses like mozz and ricotta, but I got talking to a guy who does his own and kind of fired up the idea in me head. I found a small wine fridge for $50 that would server me well to start dabbling.

Just wondered if anybody else was playing around with cheese...I know Deb is very well known to the craft and has a ton of recipes. She just bought a new house and is making her own cheese cave room!! So that's what actually got the idea rolling around. I didn't ever think of using a small wine fridge to control temp. Not sure how that will do for humidity but it's a start...

Like I don't have enough kitchen stuff to experiment with!
    Mustang electric smoker
    King Kooker vertical gasser
    Charbroil silver smoker
    Earnhardt Jr smoker
    Brinkman smoke n' grill
    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Shell, I've tried a couple times. Problem is, you cannot buy or sell whole milk in Florida. I tried with whole pasteurized milk.....results not so much. Here ya have to be "commercial" to buy whole milk, PIA!
    Sorry can't help. Process looks simple enough if you can get the right ingredients. And I have tried with the wrong stuff, simple enough. You should have better luck up there!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
      Shell, I've tried a couple times. Problem is, you cannot buy or sell whole milk in Florida. I tried with whole pasteurized milk.....results not so much. Here ya have to be "commercial" to buy whole milk, PIA!
      Sorry can't help. Process looks simple enough if you can get the right ingredients. And I have tried with the wrong stuff, simple enough. You should have better luck up there!
      i'll check Ocheesee...they up the road from my hangar...just fought the state & won a skim milk issue...http://www.ocheeseecreamery.com/the-product.cfm
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
        i'll check Ocheesee...they up the road from my hangar...just fought the state & won a skim milk issue...http://www.ocheeseecreamery.com/the-product.cfm
        Cool, but that a long drive for a couple gallons of milk! Buttttt, maybe since they won there are some producers closer that can turn loose now?
        I have ta look!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Can always go cow teeting instead of tipping!

Comment

I've always wanted to but the closest I've gotten is leaving the milk in the fridge too long...
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Always thought it would be fun...Deb had me all fired up...Hmmmmm...Didn't happen...I don't need one more food related hobby...Or do I ?
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                Around here you can sell raw milk for "pet consumption" bring your own container. That might be an avenue to look into. Several people advertise their goat milk on Craigslist that way.

I want to get into this so bad. We eat A LOT of cheese in this house. Got goats last year and they wouldn't let me milk them and they dried up. Waiting for them to kid to try it again.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  Around here you can sell raw milk for "pet consumption" bring your own container.
                  Yea, but not close to here that I could find. May have changed with 88'spost. I'll look in to it! I have the kits.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    Always thought it would be fun...Deb had me all fired up...Hmmmmm...Didn't happen...I don't need one more food related hobby...Or do I ?
                    Same here, I had patience problems when I first started doing bacon, not sure how I would do with a 4 month wait!! Not to mention a 3 year cheddah!
                    Mustang electric smoker
                    King Kooker vertical gasser
                    Charbroil silver smoker
                    Earnhardt Jr smoker
                    Brinkman smoke n' grill
                    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Working...
                    X