Italian tomato sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian tomato sauce

Hello all! I haven't participated much lately but I still read the forum almost daily so decided I better start sharing a little again.

My garden has been lackluster this year. We went from cool and wet to hot and dry within 24 hours back in June. Then, 2 hail storms and a myriad of bug problems made tomato growing quite a challenge this year. Anyway, was finally able to harvest ten pounds so had to make a sauce.

Here's some of the take.

Started by softening 2 medium onions, a sweet yellow and a red and five cloves of garlic. Seasoned with some S&P.

Added the 10 pounds of skinned tomatoes. All of the tomatoes were slightly crushed by hand to get some of the excess water out.

While that was warming up, some herbs were gathered and tied and added to the pot. 2 bay leaves, 2 sprigs of fresh oregano, 6 or 7 sprigs of fresh thyme, 15 or so basil leaves, and a small bunch of parsley.

Simmering commenced. About halfway through, 1 cup of red wine went in. The rest of the bottle went directly into the cook! When the sauce was reduced by about half, the herbs were removed.

4 Tbs. of butter was stirred in and the stick blender went to work. Added some S&P to taste and finished up to this.

Fried up some sausage, added some sauce, and served over spaghetti. Was too hungry for plated pics! Delicious!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk
    Good One Heritage Oven
    Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

That does look good nicely done
    Jim

Comment

That sounds right tasty!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Try freezing those ‘maters solid next time,,,I got a post on that somewhere... Hmm
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

OK here’s one idea..heh.. forgot about it But freezing..alot of the water drains outta them on defrost too.
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I need some splainin on that. Where does the water go?

Maybe I need another cup of coffee.

Nice sauce!

Comment

Add a peeled tater to the sauce to soak up the acid, add a few anchovies with the onions and you will be very happy!
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

To get the sauce thick enough I have to simmer and reduce for around 2 hours. Any water I can squeeze out just reduces cooking time. Frozen tomatoes will leak out a lot of water as they thaw. Freezing ruptures the cellular structure so the liquid releases naturally.

Freezing tomatoes is also a good way to skin them. When they thaw, the skins slip off pretty easy. In this case, the tomatoes were fresh and I wanted to cook right away. I skinned them by blanching and shocking in ice water.

Good One Heritage Oven
                Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

^ What he said

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                    Add a peeled tater to the sauce to soak up the acid, add a few anchovies with the onions and you will be very happy!
                    Thanks, I will try that. I add butter to soften the acid and round out the taste but the potato is interesting. You remove it when done, I assume?

Dang, I forget about anchovies. Thanks for the reminder. They do add quite a bit of depth to a sauce like this.

Good One Heritage Oven
                    Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, remove the tater before you blend or before it starts to fall apart.
                      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                      Yoder YS640
                      Weber Genesis
                      Weber 18.5" Kettle
                      Weber Performer
                      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                        Yeah, remove the tater before you blend or before it starts to fall apart.
                        Awesome! Adding it to recipe.

Good One Heritage Oven
                        Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Sauce looks delicious. Any special reason why you chose to bundle the herbs rather than chop them and keep them in the sauce?

Feel free to send me a jar and I will test it for you!
                          sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Dang it that looks great - Nice job I could have some skettie now
                            Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
                            1930 Fridge Build
                            MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
                            Therma Pen
                            Maverick 732
                            Mini Therma Pen
                            Frog Mats
                            Weber Junior
                            AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Originally posted by jwbtulsa View Post
                              Sauce looks delicious. Any special reason why you chose to bundle the herbs rather than chop them and keep them in the sauce?

Feel free to send me a jar and I will test it for you!
                              It makes it easier to remove the herbs before blending. I remove them simply to help the color of the sauce stay as red as possible. No biggie either way.
                              Good One Heritage Oven
                              Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X