Masterbuilt 44-Inch Gas Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masterbuilt 44-Inch Gas Smoker

been thinkin about something for wintertime smoking cause my Yoder gets snowed in where it lives,,, seen these: Masterbuilt 44-Inch Gas Smoker
    $249 seems like a hell of a deal

anyone ever use a 44" gasser???

(also possibly thinkin MES 40)
    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Originally posted by THUMPERRRR View Post
    been thinkin about something for wintertime smoking cause my Yoder gets snowed in where it lives,,, seen these: Masterbuilt 44-Inch Gas Smoker
    $249 seems like a hell of a deal

anyone ever use a 44" gasser???

(also possibly thinkin MES 40)

Can't help you with the Gasser, but I can't remember reading a lot of complaints about the MB 44" Gas Smoker.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

That one looks like a better, more improved model than the one I have, but I bought mine back in 2011. Back then, I was lured by the construction of it compared to the alternative gassers. I even custom painted it to match my outdoor Kitchen and used cement board to insulate it on the inside. Hopefully they improved the cheap regulator and valve. I would get it cruising along at 225 or whatever for hours and out of the blue, my Maverick remote thermometer would go off saying the temps would spike 50-75 degrees more. I'd have to go out and back it down to temp again. Happened more than 5 times, that's when I bought a Yoder.

It really pissed me off because its a good basic smoker box with a square steel tube frame, and should have been a better working unit than it was. It had a cheesy smoke pan that was a problem but most people just ended up using a cast iron frying pan for a chip pan. There was a thread somewhere about modifications to the old units.

Than again, it was a long time ago and mine may have just been another example of poor or inconsistant quality control at a factory in China . Should be better by now
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
      POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
      Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

thanks for the replies so far...
        ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
        ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

I've never used one! But if you are trying to use this when it is cold, propane tends to not want to work well when cold. The extension cord never cloggs.

I've had to put my propane tank in a bucket of warm water to be able to use my camp stove...........
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I saw one in Home Depot today. Its pretty damn big! Got to thinking how much SS or stix would fit in it
            sigpic

Comment

I cannot give you specifics about the Masterbuilt you are considering buying, but I do have some experience with a 44" Smoke Hollow Propane Smoker, as it was the first smoker I ever got.

I really enjoy the convenience of gas, and have made lots of awesome smoked food from it over the last few years. I would recommend it very much. below is a link to a video review I made of that smoker, if you are interested. They sell them at Sam's Club, and they are under $300, which is a get value for the size.

https://youtu.be/glXQUGEFrq8
              Smoking Salmon the easy way, Smoked Tri Tip, Smoked Baby Back Ribs, Smoked Pork Loin, Apple Smoked Bacon, Slow Cooker Carnitas with Pico de Gallo, Slow Cooker Beef Stew
              Smoked and Cured Chicken using Pop's Brine,Smoked and Cured Pork Loin with a Whiskey & Orange Glaze,Smoked and Cured Turkey

Comment

Working...
              X